PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Challenge #2: MooseDog

MooseDog
02-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Submitting for script number 1: romantic moonlit evening.

Used 4 lights for the scene: hard moonlight through the sink window, big soft moonlight through the same window for bleeding, same thing through the big door on the left, and light splashing in from the livingroom behind the camera. The livingroom is reflected in the sink window. All the lights are area lights with a falloff/decay applied, with different sizes though for different shadow hardness.

Hopefully getting across the hanky-panky going on in the other room while the kitchen is dark after the meal, and the bottle is about to be retreived to add to the fun :).

c&c appreciated for a w.i.p. thx!

http://www.mdogstudios.com/private/FS_Kitchen_002_submission.png

jeremybirn
02-10-2006, 04:15 AM
"Submitting for script number 1: romantic moonlit evening."

You've certainly got a nice "kitchen at night" look going. I don't know about the "moonlit" or "romantic" thing, this almost seems more like a good starting point for script #4 where we are in the kitchen but worried if a killer might be sneaking up behind us. The light coming in from behind us certainly calls our attention to think about how much open space there is around our back.

The very low camera angle to the floor makes the room look huge, which it should, but doesn't seem like a romantic comedy type camera angle, unless the actress were about to walk in the foreground and they needed a shot of her butt.

I seriously think you could play-up the scary shadows on the walls a bit more and call it an entry for script #4. For #1 the moonlight should be inviting, choose either blue or yellow but go somewhere with it color-wise, and things should glisten and sparkle instead of being drab and gray and grainy.

-jeremy

MooseDog
02-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Spot on critiques Jeremy. Thx a ton!

I decided to keep on persuing my original intent, as this is a challenge right! LOL (no matter how off-base the first attempt was!)

Kept the original light rig, but changed up settings such as color, intensity, falloff, shadows, etc. Also went for a different camera angle. I feel certain something is missing, but I can't put my finger on it :( in terms of conveying an emotional scene w/out people in it, which I know is accomplished every day)

I have the book Painting With Light by John Alton. Obviously a master and a good teacher in his day. I just have to get my head around translating stuff into a CG environment.

Also generated a depth map for some photoshop fun.

Thx for taking a look.

http://www.mdogstudios.com/private/FS_Kitchen_003.jpg

Hamburger
02-14-2006, 11:37 PM
I think the problem in that scene is that the camera is not focusing on anything. Light that winebottle and focus on that imo.

CGTalk Moderation
02-14-2006, 11:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.