PDA

View Full Version : WIP flight cycle for main character

bugzilla
02-08-2006, 10:17 PM
I uploaded a quick and dirty flight cycle test for the main character in my film, "DragoWars". Tell me what you think.

http://www.digital-sorcery.com/feature.htm

*Click on the "Media" tab to view the iPod friendly video, or subscribe to the podcast listed on that page.

bugzilla
02-09-2006, 05:01 AM
Anyone care to comment?

PetterSundnes
02-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Looks ok, but there seems to be an error going on with the neck/head movement, very jaggy. I know it is difficult with dragon wing animation as I have tried myself too (for realtime use), perhaps you could find some slow motion animation of a bat or perhaps a bird of some sort and trace the "flow" onto your model.

bugzilla
02-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Looks ok, but there seems to be an error going on with the neck/head movement, very jaggy. I know it is difficult with dragon wing animation as I have tried myself too (for realtime use), perhaps you could find some slow motion animation of a bat or perhaps a bird of some sort and trace the "flow" onto your model.

I used Motion Mixer on this and I forgot to set some things up with the neck movement action. I can easily set have that action transition smoother in future animations. Sorry, I wanted to get that one rendered and online for comment while I had time and didn't notice the problem at first.

Ed Bittner
02-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Looking better, however the neck and head should go in the opposite direction. Head and neck go up when wings go down, and vice-versa. And the wings..... I know the modeling is finished, but, do you think they're large enough? Figure this, that dragon has a HUGE carcass. The wings appear a bit out of proportion- too much height not enough length. (Sorry).
As I said in the previous post this is quite an ambitious project, and you really want to sell the opening shot. In my humble opinion, the flight looks rather forced. There should be a rhythm, not unlike "swimming" through the air. DVD's to see what I mean:
Lord of the Rings 2-3- the Nazgul in flight
Reign of Fire- Probably the best dragons EVER.
Dragonheart- You can feel it's weight during its flight.
You really need to PM me with your e-mail address. I've got a zip file for you.
E.

bugzilla
02-12-2006, 06:24 AM
Looking better, however the neck and head should go in the opposite direction. Head and neck go up when wings go down, and vice-versa. And the wings..... I know the modeling is finished, but, do you think they're large enough? Figure this, that dragon has a HUGE carcass. The wings appear a bit out of proportion- too much height not enough length. (Sorry).
As I said in the previous post this is quite an ambitious project, and you really want to sell the opening shot. In my humble opinion, the flight looks rather forced. There should be a rhythm, not unlike "swimming" through the air. DVD's to see what I mean:
Lord of the Rings 2-3- the Nazgul in flight
Reign of Fire- Probably the best dragons EVER.
Dragonheart- You can feel it's weight during its flight.
You really need to PM me with your e-mail address. I've got a zip file for you.
E.

The length of the wings worried me, but I found that in order to get the main characters within the frame at once, I needed to shorten them often. It's a cheat, but one I felt was necessary. I just had too many problems with long wings intersecting. I totally agree with the opening shot and your DVD picks. I have since totally reworked that opening shot several times even while I am going ahead with the other work. I think it's going to get reworked up until the last moment. Those opening shots have to sell.

Ed Bittner
02-15-2006, 11:13 AM
I forgot to mention, you need to tic the "fade behind objects" tab in your lens flare window. This will keep the light from appearing in front of the wings and other objects.

E.

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2006, 11:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.