PDA

View Full Version : Magdalena Dadela - Modeling Reel

Intervain
02-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Hey everyone,

I'll be finishing VFS next week and I'm currently on the lookout for employement as a modeling and texture artist .
Here is my current demo reel, which I hope you'll like.

All the modeling and texturing was done in XSI and Photoshop with a bit of help from Z-brush and Maya.

Any crits and comments are more than welcome:

http://pics.livejournal.com/mdadela/pic/00022pqe
http://www.arrakeen.org/intervain/magda_big.mov (http://www.arrakeen.org/intervain/46mb.mov) - HIGH RES VERSION - 46MB - RIGH CLICK AND SAVE
( big thanks to Arrghman :D)

:)

http://vfs.com/~3d54magdalena/demo_reel/20mb.mov (http://vfs.com/%7E3d54magdalena/demo_reel/20mb.mov) - low res version, no sound - 20MB - right click and save

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

fx81
02-09-2006, 02:08 AM
good modeling and good texturing :thumbsup:
my only crit is that the camera angle/lens in the building model makes it look smaller that life, may be a wider lens might help or more perspective may be.
anyways, good work and good luck on job hunting.

ShadowM8
02-09-2006, 03:59 AM
Very impressive reel Magda, congratulations.
Good luck with the job hunting.

Intervain
02-09-2006, 04:11 AM
fx81 - thanks. About the camera - I tried to match it to the original image hence the weird perspective :)

Hey Serguei, how is it going?

thanks very much :D Hope it will get me a job :)

Zoox
02-09-2006, 04:58 AM
hi,
really nice models, all looks really good. I my self have been looking at VFS for some time now, really just trying to save my $$$ to be able to go. was just wondering if you don't mind what did you think of it? it sounds like a great school and I allway's see great stuff comeing out of it like with your work. just wanted to hear what you thought of it? Thanks. oh ya and agian really great models, good luck with the job hunt :thumbsup:

notavailable
02-09-2006, 08:59 AM
nice reel.. and i think one of the best female 3d artist reels i've seen
not many of u out there, i think...

anyways i think harry's nose is a bit smaller (i haven't checked, but that's the impression i have of him)

the hypogriph is cool, but u've modelled a girl we don't get to see and this leads us to my main problem: why did the stills flash so fast?, either show them for a longer period of time or show half of them, they just don't read (and i'd checked them out on your site before the download finished, so i knew what i was seeing),

the final character is cool and i think u should end the reel there, the enviroment due to it's style doesn't fit with the rest and is not as good even if i miss the relevance factor.if u want to show u can reproduce something (a mean except from a character, cos u've shown us that) or a style i think u need a better subject. plus u're making it in 3d so u can add depth and complete the work, this looks too flat... i think...

good job and good luck job hunting (that sounds wierd)

Ballo
02-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Good Work, master!!! :eek:

shraga
02-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Hey Magda-

Amazing reel!!
I've seen you work really hard on this reel - you've managed to produce so much.. yada yada (and all the other cliche's you enjoy).

So I am expecting your call.. give you the jist of what's happening around this part of the world as far as I can tell..

Shraga

EternalArt
02-10-2006, 12:29 AM
Greate reel man ... 5 star from me

andrebranco
02-10-2006, 12:47 AM
I DO believe a Female can do this work :cool:...And what an amazing work Magdalena!

First Class. Clean. Beautiful.

Congratulations Miss Dadela :applause:

Bartek|3D
02-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Great work Magda! You managed to pull it off nicely.
Good luck with the job hunt! Are you going back to europe, or will you be looking for a job here?

Heber
02-10-2006, 06:51 AM
you already know what i think,
congrats and best of luck. :)

lildragon
02-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Excellent reel and well deserving of a plug. Best of luck in your very likely future career :).

-lild

Fred Heys
02-10-2006, 10:03 AM
thats some nice work....like the navy officer, good luck

chiquiflita
02-10-2006, 10:06 AM
wow congratulations it amazing really, super good work!

XingWei
02-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Very nice reel, good luck on your job hunt.

Sherif.Nagib
02-10-2006, 10:46 AM
well, you know what I think of it..
IT'S JUST WICKKKKED :buttrock:

vfx
02-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Very nice reel! Looks like your money was well spent! Good luck on the job hunt.

P.S. What did you do for the hair? It looks like a mixture of textured planes, and hairfx...can you elaborate on your process. Cheers.

jjcoolio
02-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Wow, I knew it! Front page material!
congratulations!

jinwoo-

DBXMe2
02-10-2006, 12:14 PM
my crits:

At the beginning, where you show your name, it should be either one of two things, longer, or second to the side wipe of your work...

here are the reasons why, your whipe moves, and calls attention to it, so I dont see your name. So, if you leave your name there longer, I get to read it... if not, this is what I would do in your place..

Put your work on the screen first, no effect, just cut to those linear panals, and then fade in or make your name come in like it has, keep it there for 4 seconds.

also, your name and contact info for atleast 10 seconds...

and mabey some more upbeat music, I doubt you want to put your future employers to sleep... Something with a good beat, and hard to the ears which keeps not only your work flow better, but them remembering it just by the music.

here is an artist that I'm sure wouldn't mind letting you use his music. http://www.justindurban.com/index.html

Besides that, great work, good luck finding that job you want, and I hope those crits helped.

lordsol
02-10-2006, 12:30 PM
i thing the game model is pretty bad but that's cuz im a gamer but in the other hand the harry potter is insane good. good luck with your hunting job magda

Radon
02-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Awsome reel there. I've been following your work in the Harry WIP thread as well as the rest of the VFS students and I must say it's all great. Makes me even more excited for when I attend VFS sometime next year.

It's always great to see VFS reels here and I wish you good luck in the job hunt.

warpy
02-10-2006, 01:49 PM
great stuff, job hunting time now :) 5 stars

mgard
02-10-2006, 02:08 PM
well done. well done..
vfs rocks.:)

zeme
02-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Saw your Harry in wips and loved it.
Good luck with job. :thumbsup:

EricLyman
02-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Nice work! I have a few suggestions though.

- Your buckbeak model is the weakest of the bunch in my opinion. The modeling is great, but the feathers didn't turn out as well. You could display the base model by itself and still have a strong piece.
- The Lt. Bush model is great. I sort of wanted to see the entire model all at once before I saw the closeup however.
- The environment model sequence was too long, could have been cut down by a third or maybe even by half.

I really liked your musical choice. At any rate, it's obvious that you've got some skills. Stay in touch with the community here and let us know where you get hired!

feebsicle
02-10-2006, 04:52 PM
incredible magda!
i was always impressed by the hippogriff, you turned pro with xsi hair while at vfs!
all your other models are just as amazing, but what blows my mind is the amount of work you put in! you're 54's female adam scott. hahaha
i can't wait to see it on the big screen tonight

feebs

pum
02-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Congrats on finishing your reel :)

awesome work for sure.
I wish u luck in the job hunt!

HB

rasmusW
02-10-2006, 05:13 PM
wuhuu!
great to see your stuff on the frontpage (-kinda had an idea of it might end there;))
doubt you'll have any problems finding a job.

good luck

-r

Intervain
02-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone.

THe moderators - wow, thanks for the front page :)

Shraga - LOL you're funny man. Thanks for the nice talk;)

Sherif - Well you were right, my bad ;)

DBXMe2 - thanks for the honest crits
Mezza550 - thanks for the critique :) I appreciate it!

feebsicle - thanks feebs - well tonight you'll see an older version LOL without Harry and some re-renders :)

pum - thanks so much Harbert

Heber - can't thank you enough, also for your help :)

vfx - well it's just simulated hair actually but grown from the grids, gives me more control I find - both over the volume and the combing

chiquiflita (member.php?u=182142) - well it's your turn next girl! You show'em all!

poly-phobic
02-10-2006, 05:34 PM
are we being biased?

its an "ok" reel imo.

EricLyman
02-10-2006, 05:43 PM
are we being biased?

its an "ok" reel imo.

Are you kidding? If you're comparing her to a professional with production experience then I can see where you're coming from, but this artist is fresh out of school. Just go to any portfolio show at a 3D school and you'll see how crappy most student reels are.

poly-phobic
02-10-2006, 05:47 PM
Are you kidding? If you're comparing him to a professional with production experience then I can see where you're coming from, but this guy is fresh out of school. Just go to any portfolio show at a 3D school and you'll see how crappy most student reels are.
no, im just comparing to other reels ive seen from vfs,
and i imagine if these works were posted in finished gallery section, they might not have made FP.

just saying thats all.
the overall composition of the reel is good.
its an ok reel overall.

TwitchyHamster
02-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Great reel...

But on another note....Quite frankly I am shocked at some of the apparent attitudes from the posters regarding "female" work quality.

This is 2006 not 1940.

-Twitchy

Intervain
02-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks Twitchy - I'm definitely with you on that one :wavey:

Arrghman
02-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Those eyebrows are huge. HUGE!!! And I miss the Ninja's watch :sad:

In non-jokingness, I think the still shots of Philip and the girl could have been just a tad longer. But the presentation looks great, as of course does everything else! :thumbsup:

But my server hates you now :argh:

Intervain
02-10-2006, 06:33 PM
LOL Lee!
Thanks for the comment :beer:

I hope it can stand it a bit longer :surprised - I am in your debt for sure!!!

willbrown
02-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Gee this is 2006. Having been raised with three brilliant sisters, I am astonished modern artists are showing such chauvinist attitudes.

Has no one ever heard of Freda Kahlo, possibly the greatest painter of the twentieth century? Arguably, she was more gifted than her husband Diego Rivera.

Gender is not an arbiter of talent.

The work stands on its own. I think it's excellent.

RedXR
02-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Great reel, sucks that this has turned into a female/male thing. The Harry Potter likeness is spot on, great job on it. One thing that caught my attention though is the environment. It goes perfectly with the mood the song sets. Great choice of music, compliments the reel superbly. On that note, I tried looking for the song to no avail. If you could please let me know if it's available anywhere, I'd appreciate it. Thanks and good luck.

JBoskma
02-11-2006, 01:14 AM
Sweet work Magdalena. Your incredible work ethic has paid off, something to be proud of. There weren't many days that I didn't see you working in the treefort heh, congratulations on the well deserved plug, and best of luck with finding a job that'll please your ambitions! :beer:

vANON
02-11-2006, 11:15 AM
looks good
i´m getting some clicks in the audio though, and some flickering of the video, you might wanna check that out. And the ending, the music just dies? a fade-out probably wouldn´t hurt. And yes, you do fall asleep with this music, try something more upbeat. Those heroic-movie-soundtrack tunes never fails ;). As with buckbeak, he is indeed your least attractive model, i think your reel would be stronger without it. And, still a good reel, but there is one last thing :p. When harry blinks, his eyelids move too slowly. Maybe you should stick with just the modeling in this one

best of luck
/ Marcus

MarGera
02-11-2006, 04:10 PM
are we being biased?

its an "ok" reel imo.

vladimir, do you have a reel that you can post, so that i can compare the two??

Intervain
02-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the critiques - they certainly help improve my reel. I've already applied some of them :)

willbrown - thanks for the support :)

Red_Plague - http://ccmixter.org/media/files/_ghost/3631 - that's the link to the song :)

JBoskma - thanks and most of all good luck with your stuff:) - you still have to plough through that

vANON - useful crits, yeah I feel I'm definitely no animator LOL

MarGera - :)

Cinimod
02-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Hey Magda!

Congrats on the awesome reel! Harry turned out looking sooo sweet! Awesome :thumbsup: The Quality and the Quantity of the models in your reel is quite a feat too, you realy worked hard this past year :)

I hope u had fun at your graduation, I really wanted to go.. but airfare woulda been to much hehe, hopefully our paths will cross again in the future though!

G'luck on the job hunt, I'm sure it shouldn't be a prob for u :D

Dom

Gkaine
02-11-2006, 06:12 PM
ntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntntnt

h4sh
02-11-2006, 06:44 PM
gender has nothing to do with quality. There's quite a few female modelers in art schools out there, doing pretty good :P. like someone already said its a pretty good reel but not extraordinary. Put together realy nicely though.

question: you have nice grid like topology, almost like nurbs, do you patch model, or use topolgy brush/shrinkwrap to lye it down?

fiftyfive
02-11-2006, 08:31 PM
wiiiked

hard work pays off!

hope you find a great job! :scream:

Sagii
02-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Really nice work! I like the sea man the most he is cool :D

Loewi
02-12-2006, 09:03 PM
great reel magda, i really love the navy officer, harry potter and the griffin, i'm sure you'll get responses from the industry soon enough!

You'll hear from me over the next 3 months a lot since i will annoy the hell out of you about xsi hair :D

good luck with the job hunt allthough i'm sure you won't need it!

IestynRoberts
02-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Waw - that was really good, i really enjoyed that, the work itself was brillaint, makes me want to go home and just go for it. Well made! I loiked your music choice too, helped the reel a lot.

Just a quick question, how did you do the hair? It looked really good.
Well done
-Iest

Edit: I've had a look on the net for the song _Ghost_ 'Lullaby' and can't find any info about it, can i ask where did you come across it?

porkchopexpress
02-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Very nice work. Your work with the human face is outstanding. I also checked out your online protfolio and I think you have some really outstanding stuff. Best of luck to you!

Intervain
02-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Cinimod - thanks so much Dom - for the comment and the encouragement. Hope to see you soon somewhere too :thumbsup:

Gkaine - LOL Joe, thanks so much - that was funny!:thumbsup:

fiftyfive - thanks and good lukck with your reel:)

InesD - thanks - glad you like the officer, he did give me a hard time as far as rendering was concerned :)

Loewi - you're welcome to bother me Andreas :) Good luck with your little multiheaded family picture LOL :)

iest_rob - thanks a lot - the link to the music is a few posts up - someone's asked for it already :) The hair is simulated but grown from grids

porkchopexpress - thanks so much, I do enjoy modeling faces most so I'm really glad you like that part of my reel:)

MasonicInc
02-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Not only is this one of the best modeling reels to ever come out of VFS, it will also take you places you dream of Magda.

Just keep pushing it out there to the companies you like and you will see! They will be banging down your door with the amout of incredible work you have...

Good luck, though you will not need it ;-)

IestynRoberts
02-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Oh yeah - thanks a lot, great stuff!

-Iest

tkdberni
02-16-2006, 07:32 PM
Your work is great, go for it Mags!

rvallet
02-17-2006, 01:41 AM
Magnifique :)

Intervain
02-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Lars - thanks so much for all the encouragement you gave me through those months. GOod luck to you too!

Berni - thanks :)

Roland - merci beaucoup etbonne chance pour tous tes futurs projets! ok I'll stick to English ;) hope we'll meet again somewhere :) :cool:

aestheta
03-02-2006, 06:47 AM
Heya Magda ~ Great Job on the Demo Reel! Your work really truly turned out amazing! I am so impressed (and a little jealous haha). Your Harry Potter is like the icing on the cake. But all your models are really great. Your modeling reel is very well rounded. You didn't miss a thing. Except a robotic creature I spose, haha, but you can't do it all Magda!!! Well, good luck out there when looking for a job. And Stay in touch for sure! It was really great knowing ya girl.

much love,

Intervain
03-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Hey Christine :)

Thanks very much for the kind words and for visiting us in our little room ;)
Take care as well and hope to hear from you soon!

NyneDown
03-12-2006, 01:43 AM
Really nice stuff ya got...I enjoyed it alot man ;) The enviroment kinda threw me off for a moment b/c it had an overall different style, but regardless it was still good and nicely lit. Dont worry about the harsh words from others, you have the talent and knowledge....mix that with your determination and heart and you're unstoppable. Good luck to ya in the future!

Intervain
04-10-2006, 08:23 PM
9ineDown (member.php?u=206771) thanks so much! I'm glad you liked my work :)

craigster3d
05-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Hello, Magda!

I had a hell of a time trying to track your stuff down, but I finally figured it out.
I was looking at your 2D stuff and your still life. Incredible work!
You make it look all too easy!
It was a pleasure to be your classmate in 3D54!
I know you'll excel in the industry. Your dedication and discipline inspired me to work towards the same goals.

Thank you for your help and your friendship!

CGTalk Moderation
05-12-2006, 06:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.