PDA

View Full Version : straight scale = varying speed???? Anyone know how to fix?

cgeveryday
02-08-2006, 07:36 PM
I've had this problem a number of times and don't really have a good solution for it. If I have a layer start small on screen then enlarge up to or past screen, it begins fast then slows up as it gets closer to screen. Ease in and ease out are no good here either. Does anyone know a remedy to this? Or the theory behind why it does it??

I've attached an example...

dbates
02-08-2006, 11:18 PM
That always happens to me too. Frankly I don't notice it as anything unusual. . . :shrug: I think it just appears to be slowing down (though it really isn't). I can't say for sure, though. . .

Mylenium
02-09-2006, 04:49 AM
I've had this problem a number of times and don't really have a good solution for it. If I have a layer start small on screen then enlarge up to or past screen, it begins fast then slows up as it gets closer to screen. Ease in and ease out are no good here either. Does anyone know a remedy to this? Or the theory behind why it does it??

I've attached an example...

Scaling is a proportional transformation, so this is quite normal. 1% change in scale will get less noticable with the layer already being bigger and bigger because it covers fewer pixels. This makes it appear slower. The only way to circumvenzt this is use exponential scales. Use the Keyframe assitant for that or check for expressions doing this automatically.

Mylenium

m|3
02-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Another soluton other than exponential scale is to convert the object into 3D and use it's "Z" position to scale it without seeing the 'slow down' effect as it gets closer to the camera.

cgeveryday
02-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks, i'll check around for some expressions, and try the keyframe assistant. Perhaps v7 will have a better way to cope with this. Thanks Mylenium.

Mylenium
02-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks, i'll check around for some expressions, and try the keyframe assistant. Perhaps v7 will have a better way to cope with this. Thanks Mylenium.

Why should it? This is a simple mathematical problem and since it already can be solved, why should anyone care to invest more work in it? It's no different in other programs and AE7 does not have any magic button you might be looking for.

Mylenium

cgeveryday
02-09-2006, 07:17 PM
To make life easier Mylenium! and Adobe obviously agree with me because I just read on their 6.5 feature list - http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/overviewpro2.html - they added this exact thing - The 'Exponential Scale Tool' under Powerful Motion Controls. Thanks for the reminder to look at the keyframe assistants too Mylenium. It's a heck of alot better.

Thanks to all who replied!

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2006, 07:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.