PDA

View Full Version : dual processors combo?

s1762
03-02-2002, 11:20 AM
have always wanted to try out a dual processor setup..
juz have sum doubts to clear b4 i go ahead, hope u guys can help
here are the Questions:

1. AMD or Intel for a dual processor setup is recommended? which is more expensive? i read bout amd suckin more power... point taken :D

2. which mainboard to take? how much ram wat mobo can take? and wats RAID about? i'm very out of touch with technology :(
and bout casing.. where do i find a 400WATT power unit?? i only seen 350 ones around..

3.wats the most practical kind of ram nowadays? 133Mhz is out. so wat's next? i'm lookin at around 512/768MB of ram.. but wat speed?

4. mainly using max n win2k. have yet to try out maya, but interested to... so, bah.. i doubt hardware have anything to do wif software, dun they?

5.currently using VX1.. feels alrite to me.. lookin towards a VGX1Pro...

thx. i'm juz tryin to shape out a workable system...
regards.

Tanketh
03-02-2002, 07:05 PM
Hey!

yeah dual processor machines are great.

1. you can get a dual AMD setup, but i think it has to be the new Athlon MP chip. I don't think you can get dual P4 yet, so either dual P3 or dual P4 Xeons. AMD is cheaper, as are the motherboards. But they perfomr pretty good. The Xeons are workstation chips, and much better for multiprocessor setup than normal P4s etc. Yes, the AMD's use more power! I'dd recommend a dual Xeon setup if you have the money - see qu.2

2. However, for a dual Xeon, you will need a motherboard with the Intel 860 chipset, which also uses RAMBUS memory, which is much more expensive, but has great bandwidth. The amount of memory a motherboard takes is different for each m/baord, depending on nuimber of slots etc, and capacities of the memory chips for that memory type. I have a supermicro dual xeon motherboard, and it's superb. it can use up to 2gb i think, unless there are 1gb modules now of rambus?? For dual Xeon, you will also need 400w power supply beacue of the 2 chips, it helps with stability. I also got me a supermicro case, which has 400w power supply, and big fans, and room for many more fans to keep temperatures down - they call it the 'patented cooling system'. You can get them from Insight - www.insight.com - but i doubt it's on their normal pages, you will need to phone them. RAID is a technology for hard drives. There are different modes. 1 mode is where you have 2 or more drives which run as 1 hard drive, so the data you read and write goes to/comes from many drives at one, increasing maximum bandwidth. Another mode is where whatever data is on 1 drive, is duplicated on another, as an automatic backup system, so if your drive fails, you still have your work. Another mode does both of these - tranfer rate, and backup, but you need more hard drives for these. However, I have read that some RAID hardware is incompatible/has problems when you use AMD chips. That's why i've always stuck to intel - they are more expensive, but you KNOW that EVERYTHING you want will work with it.

3. You can get DDR RAM, which is dpouble data rate. so 133mhz m/bpard with DDR ram has 266 mhz memory. it's fast!. otherwise, you have the RAMBUS memory whcih you need for xeons and some other chips too. it has very high bandwidth but is expensive. in the UK, it's about 1 per Mb, which is what 100 MHz SDRAM was about 2 years ago. The speed of RAM you get will depend on you motherboard you get.

4. Well, the hardware is important, yes - the faster the processors, the faster the rendering. the faster the graphics card under OpenGL, the smoother and more interactive the viewports are in the 3D app.

5. Yeah, the GVX1 Pro looks like a good buy. It'll be a bit over 3 times better at your 3D stuff, so when you are mucking around in your viewports, and modelling, it'll allow you to work better and faster.

Hope this helps you, mate :D

s1762
03-03-2002, 04:23 PM
now i have a rough idea wat to aim for...
not lookin at the ultra high end system.. juz a mid range dual P3 is gd enuff to <i>fool around</i> in max.
n tough luck, the most value for buck supermicro board takes only SDRAM... the SUPERMICRO 370DLE.. n it doesnt support tulatin(no idea how they spell it)

juz lackin of a solid fund to get things started :(
thx anyway.

cheers~

Tanketh
03-04-2002, 03:02 AM
try Gigabyte then.

right eye
03-04-2002, 11:33 PM
Sorry, don't want to throw a jinx in the system if you have already made up your mind. But I think Athlon is the way to go. I run dual 1.2's and love it. Especially if you're going to fall back to a P3 setup. The Athlon will almost always outperform it (P3) and they are cheaper. Last I checked on benchmarks my particular machine was outperforming dual 1.7 Xeon procs. Benchmarks can be misleading but overall Athlon can give you the same or better performance for less money.

But everyone has their own biases, and I am definately one of them. I'm not too fond of Intel. But to get a pretty fair look at benchmarks on any machine I recommend checking out: http://www.tomshardware.com

Z-Buffer
03-05-2002, 01:19 AM
Hi guys!, nice topic. Im looking for dual XEON (2ghz) maybe 2.2ghz...i'm looking for the chips in a box, and i want to buy it online, so i need a good tip to where i can find this kind of processor on the web...

sorry 4 my english, thanks guys!

roguenroll
03-08-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by right eye
Sorry, don't want to throw a jinx in the system if you have already made up your mind. But I think Athlon is the way to go. I run dual 1.2's and love it. Especially if you're going to fall back to a P3 setup. The Athlon will almost always outperform it (P3) and they are cheaper. Last I checked on benchmarks my particular machine was outperforming dual 1.7 Xeon procs. Benchmarks can be misleading but overall Athlon can give you the same or better performance for less money.

But everyone has their own biases, and I am definately one of them. I'm not too fond of Intel. But to get a pretty fair look at benchmarks on any machine I recommend checking out: http://www.tomshardware.com
------------

-Hey, I'm interested in a dual Athlon, whats the top of the line CPU, that will do a dual set up, the new one is the 1900+. sorry I've allways been into Pents. thanks in advance.

whats a good mobo, I use asus now.

-Ths guy looking for a good comp sites, check out
http://www.googlegear.com/ggweb/jsp/Home.jsp and
http://www.newegg.com/index.asp

-the guy interested in the dual P3, my asus CUV4X-D , and two P3's is great, if I didn't want to try an Athlon, I would do it again.
Or a dual P4 when they have Mobo's for them.
got it at googlegear.

Rogue

BTW, new to the boards, see you in lightwave, After effects, anf Photoshop

MadMax
03-09-2002, 12:32 AM
I would have to say best money spent for both performance and Value is AMD.

In benchmarks (software, not synthetic) AMD leads Intel by a decent margin. The current run of chips in the Intel vs. AMD war show the 2.2ghz Northwood BARELY leading over the AMD at 1.6ghz. at double the cost.

The power consumption issue (a non issue really) was true with the previous core (Thunderbird) but the newer core chips (XP series) run much lower power and cooler. They are on pretty much equal footing with Intel for power and heat.

Dual Athlons dramatically outperform the Xeon chips at a fraction of the cost.

As for overall quality and stability, the AMD systems are every bit as stable as any Intel based system, contrary to what some may say.

For the longest time Intel preached superiority in memory bandwidth while using an app that did not accurately gauge bandwidth as it was not optimized to work with AMD processors (SiSoft Sandra).

However, recently SiSoft released a new version that accurately gauges both AMD and Intel and we see that the memory bandwidth issue was in fact pretty much a non issue as well. The difference between the two is minimal, and of course pointless since Intel has abandoned the rambus architecture in favor of DDR.

This puts both AMD and Intel in basically the same boat.

Now back to current chips, Intel does beat AMD by about 10% or so on some benchmarks, but the fact that they need a 600mhz lead in clock speed, 512k cache vs. AMD's 256k, and a .13 micron process vs. AMD's current .18 micron process just to squeak out a minimal performance advantage doesn't speak well for Intel.

Add to that, we are comparing Intel's newly released core against an end of life AMD core. AMD is supposed to release the new core later this month, which is .13 process, believed to be 512k cache and have a few other enhancements with plenty of room to grow.

Also, Athlon MP chips are not required for dual systems. The Athlon XP processors work just fine in dual systems with no problems as they are the same chip, XP's having the jumpers laser burned out to avoid overclocking......

Tyan makes one of the best boards for a dual Athlon system, Asus seems to be popular among the new MPX boards and Epox has a pretty sharp looking dual board due at the end of the month.

roguenroll
03-09-2002, 06:18 AM
thx, madmax.

I'll be researching for a little while, Id like to start this thing soon.

Looks like from the 'mobo' thread, they have an asus mobo, so I will go w/ that.

Rogue

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.