PDA

View Full Version : Tip of the day: Project management [1]

halfworld
02-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Hey all!

It's a simple one this time. Custom labels.

Today we were having some issues with a huge project (and I mean "400meg project file" huge). There were literally hundreds upon hundreds of groups, probably half of Southern England was in this file. I noticed just how tidy everything was for a project this size. Everything was very tidily parented to nulls which we often treat as folders and a lot of things were labeled which, in a file this size, is absolutely essential.

So, if you don't already, I suggest labelling everything in large projects, a great bonus is that you can customise your labels, so why not get a scheme going, get used to it and keep using it. It will save you TONES of time.

http://homepage.mac.com/cake_or_death/labels.jpg

More on Saturday!
Ian

halfworld
02-08-2006, 09:15 PM
I forgot to add that you can select groups based on their label, this is really helpful when you want to turn all the glass in your scene off instantly or do something similar like change the texture of all of one type of object at once (say internal walls) by copying a texture then pasting it onto all the selected objects at once.

Ian

Giacomo_M
02-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Great advice.

I'd expand on that to include that there are MANY ways to select groups of objects in EI--"by model" and "by material" are the two that immediately come to mind.

In my experience it's one of the big advantages of EIAS--you certainly can't do it in Lightwave. I'd recommend that all EIAS users familiarize themselves with these functions.

GM

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2006, 09:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.