PDA

View Full Version : Books on mental ray

hansn
02-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi!

Can anyone give me a short critic on this book or even recommend better sources?
http://tinyurl.com/atu5t

Some people on the web write that it's heavy on the mathematical aspect of mental ray. I would like to have some detailed explaination but don't plan to write my own shaders....

Thanks,
h

T.S. Cosky
02-10-2006, 07:19 PM
If you are interested in using mental ray for your rendering then I highly recommend that you purchase a copy of Rendering with mental ray 3rd edition while it's still available. The author himself refers to the book as being a complete and indepth users manual. I believe most questions about mental ray can be answered in this book. It does have technical information but it is well organized, explained, and marked as being optional information. The Programing for mental ray book is the second volume of the series and it is very heavy on the mathmatical side of things as it is intended for programmers.

As for other quality sources of information I would recommend the follow items. the web site LAmrUG.org and the links off that site. Maya6 killer tips (a must have book). The Maya7 special effects handbook ( basic but still covers information that seems to elude alot of the users on the forums. its a good purchase). The Gnomon Workshops 3 mental ray dvd series by Matt Hartle (exceptional training on mental ray, you should own these).

Hope this helps speed things up for you. Mental ray can be a difficult rendering package to learn at first. Good luck.

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2006, 07:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.