PDA

View Full Version : How to do those Mk12 arrow and style??

foche
02-08-2006, 03:10 PM
hi guys....I,m wondering how they do all those arrows moving into 3 dimensional planes, is that made in after or its 3d....and if is 3d...someone know how to do it?
thanx in advance

Mylenium
02-08-2006, 03:17 PM
hi guys....I,m wondering how they do all those arrows moving into 3 dimensional planes, is that made in after or its 3d....and if is 3d...someone know how to do it?
thanx in advance

Huh? which clip? There are currently over 50 clips online at mk12, please be more specific and provide a link.

Mylenium

foche
02-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Yeah.....I was a little lazy..hehehe....here is it:
http://media2.mk12.com/v5_qt_html/2004/sleepingbeauty.html

BDismukes
02-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Yes, this has been an utter mystery to me as well. MK12 has defined a paradigm in motion graphics that I can not figure out. If anyone out ther has any insight or hints as how they do it, or for that matter how to get lines to draw on screen with illustrator files without having to use the vegas or 3d stroke plug ins, I know I'd greatly appreciate it.

angel
02-09-2006, 03:38 AM
I would say, very time consuming quality masking by a very skillful artist. I think that probably the most difficult thing was to animate all those masks and keep it completely in sync.

Very nice video.

Mylenium
02-09-2006, 05:05 AM
I would say, very time consuming quality masking by a very skillful artist. I think that probably the most difficult thing was to animate all those masks and keep it completely in sync.

Very nice video.

Mmh, wouldn't think so. Looks like a standard Pixel/ technology style font where simply the lines are extended in certain areas. Drawing the letters is only in few cases actual drawing, most of it seems a combination of linear wipes Shouldn't be too difficult to do it. The sky looks completely synthetical/ replaced, so assuming they shot the original material against a neutral blue sky, it wouldn't be that hard to pull a usable matte from it.

Mylenium

evanfotis
02-09-2006, 07:59 AM
I think I've seen a tut somewhere, on similar extrusions that look 3D bringing one line of text forward in z space.

Basically as far as i remember, they dublicated the edge of the type or area to be extruded, stretched it, and then animated its reveal.

angel
02-09-2006, 11:56 AM
It would be tedious work but you can do that in z space. The letters are boxy so all you need is a solid in the right place to connect the letters. They could also have a plug I have never used before... hell, they could have written their own plug.

At lest that's how I would go by making those words myself. How about making a reveal for each letter of the alphabet and then put the words together? Could be precomp hell tho.

mikeh64
02-10-2006, 03:18 PM
I have no idea how mk12 did it, but it would be very easy (though tedious) in 3D.

you would just painstakingly create a bunch of animated path extrudes, and then move the camera past them as they "grow", then comp this into your background (probably using some matchmoving on the camera)

mike

tfortier
02-10-2006, 04:02 PM
yes, all AE... and pretty easy stuff cause there is no curves...

Thats a shame after effects still not have any bezier in 3d space... old Flint machine have that since like 5-6 years... and not time consuming like the crappy freeform plugin...

bending the edge should not require polygons like displacement map... just a bezier calculation involving XYZ...

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2006, 04:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.