PDA

View Full Version : edit set driven keys

ptaverner
02-08-2006, 03:59 PM
I have a Maya question in relation to 'set driven keys'.

I've modeled a hand and added the bones, skinned it, etc. I set up the finger, wrist, and thumb curls and all works well. My question is, I want to go back and add some curl to the fingers, making them go up a little.

How can I edit the hand control? Any idea on what will take me back into the 'Set Driven Key' menu and allow me to make the change?

I know how to Right click on the name of the control to bring up the set driven key window but what should I do next?

Load driver, select the knuckles, and the rotate, and then load driven, doesn't seem to be the answer.

I know I'm probably missing the obvious.

Any suggestions???

Thanks
Peter

Dichotomy
02-08-2006, 04:29 PM
you might just delete the set driven keys on the knuckles and make them again, it would probably give you a cleaner driven key. It does sound like you have the right idea for editing the set driven key, if you just want to add a upward bend to it. Just load the driver and then load the knuckle/rotate as driven, and create it like normal (ie bend the control, then rotate the knuckle, and set the key). That should keep the old key and add the new curve that allows it to bend up.
Personally I think you might have better luck with directConnections on finger joints. I use them because it doesn't limit what the finger joints can do, although you then need a control for each knuckle (or at least an attribute on a control).

ptaverner
02-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply.
I'll check it out as let you know what happens.

Thanks again
Peter

pogg
02-08-2006, 05:35 PM
The keys that make up the set driven keys can also be viewed in the Graph Editor. If you want to view the keys in the Graph Editor, you can select the bones that are conected to the set driven keys and go to the Graph Editor. You should also be able to change the rotation of the bones too which might help you get a wider range of rotation on the fingers. It's also useful for editing the rotation should the set driven keys act strangley when they are set, which can happen from time to time.

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2006, 05:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.