PDA

View Full Version : my first rig...

sedric
12-10-2002, 02:34 AM
hey everyone! im pretty new to character rigging, i just finished up my first rig. i did it for an assignment for a school im attending, now that its done, i thought i would see what you fellas thought!

i didnt have time to add as many influence objects as i would have wanted, as well as many other things i would have loved to impliment. but here it is!

http://www.planetquake.com/quakebreak/ben_hindle_rig.zip

i actually enjoyed this assignment, and am thinkign of character TD/rigger as a career!

thanks a lot in advance,

sedric

sedric
12-18-2002, 02:20 AM
*bump*

has anyone had a look at this file?....even the smallest ammount of feedback would be cool...

thanks fellas...

sedric

Magarnigal
12-18-2002, 10:39 AM
Hey,

Nice work :)

I would suggest trying to group similar controls onto the one handle where possible. Have the ankle translate on the same control as the ankle rotate. Same with the wrists, stick the translate and rotate on the same control.

And don't use custom attributes for rotation where the default XYZ rotations of an object will suffice. For example on your hips and neck control, they should be animatable with just the rotate tool.

A good effort for your first rig, remember the best way to improve your rigs is to animate with them as much as possible. Even just doing some simple animation tests a lot of rig issues will soon become painfully obvious. :)

-mag

Tudor
12-18-2002, 11:55 AM
The best rig is the rig that is easy to animate with..
Less controls but still ultimate control is the best.

Most animators dont like sliders or stuff like that. They want to be able to look at the screen all the time and just grab a handle and move it. 3 controllers for controlling the chest is no fun att all to animate with for example.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.