PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Challenge #2: Chris_TC

Chris-TC
02-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Hi

I had a go at this because I love the whole idea of this lighting challenge.
I went with script #2. The interesting thing about this scene is that the window is very, very small. I needed to crank up final gathering settings quite a bit in order to get enough light in there (otherwise the final gathering rays have a hard time finding the light source).

So I basically set up some lighting I liked, made some modifications and rendered the image over night. As I just found out though the refractive window pane I added caused the sun shadows to change position. I prefered the initial setup but apart from that and a couple other minor things I'm quite happy.

The rendering engine is Mental Ray. I obviously added some glow and other tweaks in post.

I don't know how much time I'll have to tweak this scene any further but here's my shot:

http://www.digipiction.de/var/kt2.jpg

Cheers,
Chris

francescaluce
02-08-2006, 03:57 PM
very nice mood. love it.

ciao
francesca

jeremybirn
02-08-2006, 04:36 PM
My browser didn't display an image in your post at all, I had to view http://www.digipiction.de/var/kt2.jpg directly to see the image.

So, everybody likes Nick the drunk! :) Your scene is looking good! You've got a really nice tone there, an image that's already holding up to feel about right if you squint at it.

The raytraced reflections on the cabinet confused me, I was looking at them at first thinking they were some kind of a caustic pattern or something, but then I saw that they were a raytraced reflection of the table something really bright that's behind us. Maybe taking reducing those reflections on the cabinets, and on the lower trashcan and near-side-edge of the table as well, would help.

The shading on the cabinet doors and drawers looks strange, as if the polygons are trying to smooth out the front surface instead of having a hard edge. For beveled objects you need to set a smoothing threshhold of like 40 or 60, not 90.

I think the lighting now is emphasizing the right chair a little more than the bottle. That nice glint you have on the chair, the way there's contrast around it with darkness behind the brighter tones, that kind of treatment for the bottle would be good.

In terms of post processing, it looks like there's a directional/motion blur filter that applied to all the bright parts of the image, and that could be a good thing. But I'm always worried about doing too much photoshop, too soon in a project. If you take another pass through the 3D first, really nail where the highlights are, give enough samples or rays to the soft reflections on the floor, just get it so it's really rock-solid in 3D, then all the post work will pay off better in the end.

-jeremy

Chris-TC
02-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the opinions guys!

The raytraced reflections on the cabinet confused me, I was looking at them at first thinking they were some kind of a caustic pattern or something, but then I saw that they were a raytraced reflection of the table something really bright that's behind us. Maybe taking reducing those reflections on the cabinets, and on the lower trashcan and near-side-edge of the table as well, would help.

You mean the cabinet doors in the lower left? Yeah, I noticed that too and I'm not really sure what they're reflecting. I'll look into it. The cabinet doors in the top right reflect the chair.

The shading on the cabinet doors and drawers looks strange, as if the polygons are trying to smooth out the front surface instead of having a hard edge. For beveled objects you need to set a smoothing threshhold of like 40 or 60, not 90.

I agree, the shading seems to have some problems. The default smoothing threshold in XSI is 60 degrees so there might just be something wrong with the imported geometry. I'll look into that too.

I think the lighting now is emphasizing the right chair a little more than the bottle. That nice glint you have on the chair, the way there's contrast around it with darkness behind the brighter tones, that kind of treatment for the bottle would be good.

Yeah, I'll definitely make some modifications to the overall lighting. I need this to look the way I intended or it'll keep bugging me.
I'm not sure if I'll necessarily emphasize the bottle in the image as I'm more trying to set the overall feel of a bright, "hungover" morning but we'll see.

Chris-TC
02-09-2006, 08:46 PM
So here is the updated version. Excuse the dirt, I should have used some photon mapping to make this look cleaner.

http://www.digipiction.de/var/KT_final.jpg

CeDeEl
02-09-2006, 09:17 PM
i love the last one.
errr, what's "hang-over" means?
-ChristianDL-

Chris-TC
02-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks, it usually means that you feel really bad after a night of heavy drinking.

Synthesizer
02-10-2006, 12:38 AM
That's looking pretty good!
I'm not too sure if I like the blue bloom though. I think it might look better if you desaturated it a bit. The bottle could also be a bit more transparent, maybe more like the first pic.

yohann
02-10-2006, 12:30 PM
It's so great!!! The glow in the window area is much beautiful.

You can turn on a light in the left room to an environment better the scene. An orange light reflect on the wall of this room will to go more beautiful. :thumbsup:

Great job!!! :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2006, 12:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.