PDA

View Full Version : Earring WIP-Help needed.

Glyptic
02-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi, all,
Attached is an earring render I'm working on.
Two significant problems.
First, how can I add a bit of matte to the textured gold. I've tried some Noise, but all I get is a slightly bumpy polish. Any specific settings would be appreciated, as I haven't played with Noise too much. Maybe add some Blur?
Also, the diamonds look like headlights, not gems. Maybe they are too small to really expect anything out of them.
Lighting is HDRI on the gold, Area lights on everything else.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
cheers,
glyptic.

AdamT
02-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Unfortunately there's no way to map specular width or blurry reflections with a single material, so you'll need to use stacked materials for that. Use an alpha with the second material to blend it with the first.

vid2k2
02-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Matte gold would have less reflection and can use a blur.

Here's a zipped SLA version and a render with an added floor

Glyptic
02-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Hi, Gents,
Thanks for the gold material (does it have a Displacement channel? The gold SLA's I've looked at *do not* have Displacement. Can it be added?) and the tips.
Adam, this is all new to me, can you suggest a render tute or text that outlines the proceedure you mention?
I haven't done any work with alpha channels, compositing (Except for HDRI domes) or layering of materials.
Thanks in advance.
cheers,
glyptic

vid2k2
02-08-2006, 05:05 PM
All sla materials can be reproduced using fusion.
Aside from applying a material to an object, you can also apply
independent qualities seperately or with layers.

Glyptic
02-08-2006, 09:17 PM
OK, guys, I'm looking at my Adam Watkins book on R9.1, reading a tute which includes Layer and Fusion shader.

And thanks again for the matte gold material. I just got home to my design box, so I can play a bit.
Oh, wait, the trash needs to go out. And something about my turn to cook. Oh, well.....

cheers,
glyptic

Glyptic
02-08-2006, 11:21 PM
OK, the Layer and Fusion shaders look very cool, and will definately come in handy.
One problem is......what should I add in order to get the matte effect?
I played with Diffusion in the Reflection channel, and that seemed like an easy way to get something similar to what I need for this model.
The other hard nut I need to crack at some point, is matte/high polish finishing on the metal. That is actually the way most of these textured metal thingies get finished.
So how might one go about that?
High surfaces polished, lower areas matte.
Thanks again for the help. I'm currently feeling like the Deunce Cap is firmly in place.
cheers,
glyptic.
ps Who the heck put that "Know It All" tag under my name? I tried to change it to
"Used to Know it All", but it didn't display.

Simon Wicker
02-08-2006, 11:40 PM
i would imagine that if you have the advanced render module then you could get a nice effect by mixing between sharp and blurry reflections (blurry reflections would give you the matte effect while the sharp reflections would look shiny and clean). for blending between the two i would use either the old dirt shader in 8.5 or 9 or in 9.5 the new AO shader (the AO pass would be dark on un-exposed areas and bright on exposed surfaces).

you will probably need two materials (one sharp one blurry) and then use the AO pass in the alpha channel of one material to mix the two.

cheers, simon w.

Simon Wicker
02-09-2006, 01:17 AM
if anyone was wondering just how to set up the blurry/sharp materials correctly using an AO material as the blend so i thought i would post one way of doing that here. see the enclosed file for a very rough version!

cheers, simon w.

p.s. hope this is what you are after larry!

Glyptic
02-09-2006, 02:34 AM
Wow, Simon, Thanks!

I can't get the HDRI to work, so I'll light it up later and take a look.
Just seeing how you arranged the materials is very helpful.
I'm running a render now with a lot of dispersion in Reflection. That seems to make a nice matte surface.
Thanks again for the help.
cheers,
glyptic

Simon Wicker
02-09-2006, 02:47 AM
the hdri is just supplying reflections, it isn't being used for lighting (which is why GI is off in the scene).

oh, and you can control the mix between glossy/matte using the contrast control in the AO shader - currently it is set very high so the mask is quite hard - setting a lower contrast wil soften the transition).

cheers, simon w.

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2006, 02:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.