PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Blue Skies

Krystman
12-10-2002, 12:35 AM
Yay, my firt Post! :bounce:

Alright, I've just done this music video here, c&c please. Please keep in mind that I'm rather new to CG so don't expect Blizzard style or something.

As you will see, the video is done completly with a cartoon shader. I've tryed to immitate a traditional 2d hand-drawn anime. ^_^

Oh and the sound at the beginning is a bit messed-up by the compression. I wonder why, maybe it's such an unusual song :shrug:

http://www.schulseiten.de/viko2002/bluskies.avi
or
http://www.neon-hq.net/bluskies.avi
(DivX 5.2 - 15mb)

yobarman
12-10-2002, 01:04 AM
very nice... i thought it was handdrawn until i read the post..

btw i love the way you made the explosions when the rockets are shot from the ships.

slime
12-10-2002, 02:12 AM
Wow. Great work! Congratulations!!

Some scenes were absolutely fantastic. The camera and movement is great in some scenes, but I saw some flaws that downs the quality of the video.

First of all, I think it should be shorter. Some scenes in the middle and second part were a little redundant. I suppose that you wanted to use the Tori Amos song son adapted the lenght that way, but I think about 33% shorter would be better.
Some scenes are static. Even if the camera is still, something should be making the impression of movement, when the backgrounds are so simple. (ie, clouds moving, some wind in the earth, etc). The backgrounds weren't very good either. Some of them matched very good, but with good backgrounds the video could be a lot better. The last thing is the post procesing. When the ship crosses the sun, the effect is not very good. With propper post processing, (slow motion, darkening the ship, putting a halo, moving the flare, etc) would be better.

Anyway, it was a pleasure to watch. Very good work!

Regards.

Daniel.

Tex
12-10-2002, 02:41 AM
congrats on your first post. Especially for something so sweet:) i hope all your posts are like this heh:thumbsup:

Mangled Poly
12-10-2002, 05:16 AM
Wow extremely nice.. i love it can you drop some info in like what software you used plugins what not? inquiring minds want to know?

colt
12-10-2002, 08:28 AM
:buttrock: So coooool. Man it looks and feels like the real anime thing. How long did it take you??

I don't think it's too long. Hey that's what one of the characterisitcs of anime is: long scenes without too much happening. They've developed their own narrative speed. And I think you captured that very well.

Ok, backgrounds are little bit flat, and your "story" is a little boring. Maybe invest more time in a good plot next time.

But anyway : :thumbsup:

wolfy2525
12-10-2002, 10:05 AM
well what can i say, it started out and i was thinking, that this isnt the best thing, then i found myself completley engrossed in the movie. It was a complete turn around i just love so many different aspects of this movie, the camereas the explosions and the smoke. You say this was all done with a cartoon renderer, may i ask which one as ive tried to create smoke with illustrate so many times and the outcome was awful. This reminds me of a clip form a cartoon called molly star racer. This is a complement. Must go as im about to watch the animation again.:buttrock: :buttrock:

Krystman
12-10-2002, 01:33 PM
:bounce: Thanks for the Feedback! ^_^

I actually thought about cutting the track down but I did that all the time in my previous attempts so I thought I try a whole song this time. I would agree, the track is too long and I had to do many clips to fill in the space between important shots.

It was all done in 3ds max 4.0 and Illustrate (forgot which version). The smoke effects are standard max particles, mostly particle arrays.

derelict
12-10-2002, 02:31 PM
the link is dead :(

Krystman
12-10-2002, 04:40 PM
I know, try this...

http://www.neon-hq.net/bluskies.avi

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.