PDA

View Full Version : Project Phoenix Contest Welcome

Vizfizz
02-08-2006, 06:10 AM
Welcome to the EIAS Forum Leader's 3D Mini Challenge: Project Phoenix. This, the first of hopefully several, EIAS specific, learning competitions that will help spark a new level of awareness and knowledge within our community.

Along with this EIAS forum, this competition serves as a training ground. It is my desire to see a new round of EIAS artists develop and utlitize their skills within the professional marketplaces of film, broadcast design, multimedia, web and illustration. I'm looking for champions. I'm looking for the uncommon. I'm looking for the next great CG pioneer.

The focus of our competition is rebirth and transformation. I found the subject relevant to the history of Electric Image and what we as artists do on a daily basis. We reinvent ourselves with each new project and bring visual life out of nothingness. Without our own "inner" transformation we grow old and stagnate. It applies to individuals and companies alike. As artists we can sometimes sabotage ourselves from growing. No more excuses. No more procrastinating. Its time to fullfil those promises to yourselves. Its time to take the next step.

Contestants will begin by writing a treatment explaining what it is they wish to accomplish. Their goal is to produce and document a sophisticated 3D still image that captures the central theme of this competition. Once the written treatment is completed, each contestant will have until the 22nd of February 2006 to post their treatment along with sketches, no matter how crude, about their creation. Entries can be made any time between the 8th and 22nd. Stages 1 and 2 do not have to be submitted together. After the 22nd of February, no more contestants will be allowed to enter.

While you're here, learn from one another. Ask questions. Use this forum and competition as a resource. Take from it what you need, but for even more value, choose to contribute. If you don't decide to enter, that's fine, but encourage the ones that do.

During the last week of the contest, contestants will be expected to post their final image within their personal thread on the EIAS Techniques and WIPs Lab sub forum. After stage 4, comments are welcome within their threads, but please do not continue to post additional "finals". The judges need to have a clear indication which picture you wish to be judged.

Once judging is complete and the project file is verified, a decision will be posted in the main forum with as many potential comments I can obtain from the other two judges. I will then contact the artist via email and obtain shipping information of where to send your choice of prize.

Good luck and have fun with this competition.

mike33
02-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Great project idea Brian... But...

Well, my little Isabelle was just born on 1/28, and I'm trying to wrap up my script for a personal project, and as much as I'd like to give this challenge a try, and as much as I need the EIAS experience for the personal project...

I don't know how I could balance all this stuff, the family and my day job at the same time.

I need to pass...

Mike
...trying to rise out of my own artistic ashes...

Reuben5150
02-08-2006, 10:38 PM
I don't know how I could balance all this stuff, the family and my day job at the same time.

I need to pass...

Mike
...trying to rise out of my own artistic ashes...

I hear that !, seems difficult to find the time for these contests unless maybe you are unemployed :banghead:

Reuben

Vizfizz
02-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Completely understandable gentlemen. But you do have nearly 45 days. Considerable amount of time when you think about it, plus you're not needing to animate anything. My hope is that you try to compete. Register for the competition, give it a go, and if you can't complete it, I'll totally understand. At least this way we can get the benefit of at least some of your knowledge and experience.

RoundPixel
02-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi

Iīm actually in the same boat as mike33, as my little Carlota was born recently as well, but i would like to give it a try and see if i can find time to properly work on it and finish it.

But i do have a question, is it possible to enter the challenge using the 3D Toolkit?
I know this might limit my chances as the tool is lacking high end tools, but thatīs what i do have now, and yet i havenīt decided on jumping to full EIAS (something iīll do soon but not yet).

thanks,
Juan Carlos

Vizfizz
02-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Absolutely. 3D Toolkit users do qualify to enter! Do what you can, I know time is a valuable commodity for everyone, but I think you'll be glad you did.

RoundPixel
02-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Awesome, count me in :bounce:

cheers
JC

halfworld
02-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Reuben if you enter I'll buy you a pint when you're next in Manchester :)

In fact, I'll buy anyone that enters the competition a pint the next time they're in Manchester!

Heck, I don't even have access to EIAS outside of work at the moment... those lunch breaks will be coming in handy I feel...
Ian

Reuben5150
02-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Been a while since i had a pint :) , well if i get any "great ideas" i will enter, just so busy with other things right now and i won't post anything i'm not happy with.. so we'll see.

I should also say, i'm a huge Starwars fan and the prizes are fantastic, Brian is too kind !!

Reuben

Vizfizz
02-11-2006, 04:55 PM
And I have another trick up my sleeve to entice people to join the competition, though I'm debating whether or not to use it. :)

Maybe I should just hold out and consider giving it as an option to reward the ones who enter by the 22nd. Hmmmm. But if I can't even muster 10, no make it 15, people to enter, then this option, I think should be put on hold. Hmmmm. Though it would probably make people want to enter the competition even more. Hmmmm. Choices, choices.

halfworld
02-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Now you're getting me really curious...

What is the mystery prize? :)

Ian

Vizfizz
02-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Well right now, it could be just about anything now couldn't it? :drool: Currently its a nice little gift or two ;), nice logical additions to a book bag. But I'm thinking about stepping it up a notch. I just don't know. Get me 10 people in this competition and I'll really consider offering it and I'll tell everyone what I'd do. Get me 15 in this competition by the 22nd and I'll definitely do it. Get me 25, I'll upgrade it, get me 50 in this competition and I'll make it top of the line.

That should make people scratch their heads a bit.

Vizfizz
02-14-2006, 10:18 PM
So here we are. Just about to enter week two of the competition and I have six entries. Not bad, but I was truly hoping for more. There are only seven more days until the entry doors close. (22 Feb 2006).

Current contestants: Please remember some initial sketches are due by the 22nd. Don't worry, I'm not evaluating your drawing skills. Its more about the process.

Potential contestants: Don't put everything off to the last minute, you might regret it. :hmm:

So what is currently in the bag? Ok, I'll give. If you choose the book bag over the jacket, I was planning on including Lance Evan's book on EIAS. Plus, I was going to throw in a separate ILM Attack Gunship Patch that you can sow onto your own jacket and an EP II baseball cap. Rounds it off nicely.

However....

I have a trick up my sleeve.

Here's how it works. I'm planning on making you guys masters of your own prize fate. The more people you can convince to enter and complete the competition, the more I'll give you.

If 10 people ENTER I'll tell you what I'm considering on upgrading the secret prize to. Any number less than 15 contestants and the Book Bag prize package stays as is. Book, Hat, and Patch.

If 15 contestants enter and complete the competition, I'll swap out the book, patch and hat within the book bag to something considerably more desireable. Trust me... you'll like it.

If 25 contestants enter and complete the competition, I'll upgrade the secret prize.

If 40 contestants enter and complete the competition, I'll upgrade it again to the top of its line.

If 50 contestants enter and complete the competition you'll have your choice of either the Jacket or The book bag with everything. Book, Hat, Patch and Secret Gift.

So the choice is yours. Better start talking to you friends.

CGTalk Moderation
02-14-2006, 10:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.