PDA

View Full Version : Loading Tool causes ZBrush to crash

AlpahKaneda
02-08-2006, 05:01 AM
Hello everyone, I am in a really bad situation right now....I have created a model in Modo, then exported it to Maya and did UV's in Maya.(B/c I can trust Maya's UV's) Anyway I export a peice of my model into ZBrush and start doing the detail...I save it as a tool so I can come back to work on it later...but every time I load it up again, ZBrush crashes?????

So I then devoted some time to just doing it all in zbrush in one period of time, but when I go to my lowest geometry setting and then I click on the Morph target(making Normal Maps) Boom it crashes then asswell.

So in all I have lost lots of hours of work...and am not happy about it b/c I am supposed to have my demo done in less then a month :(

Nothing adds up...the UV's have no overlapes....the files are small.......I have got it to work on other pieces of the character I am using ZBrush for...........??????????

Anyones help would litterly save me lots of time and money.....and most of all my sanity:)
Ask me any questions you need to understand...or just tell me you dont understand...anything will help Please!

Thank you soo much for your time
Thank you for any help offerd

I hope everyone's work is going smoother :)

eblondin
02-08-2006, 05:53 AM
So first off, when you save your tool are you saving it at sub division level one?

As for your morph target crash problem. Could you describe more of your work flow?
are you storing a morph target as soon as you import your mesh into zbrush and are you going back to that morph target because your lowest sub d level (after you have made edits to it) no longer matches up with how it used to look when you first imported it?

AlpahKaneda
02-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Thank you Eblondin for your comment:D
I was a little upset when I made this thread, so I forgot to leave in some detail

(Q) when you save your tool are you saving it at sub division level one?

(A) No I am not...I have never fully trusted saving in subd lvl 1....I know weird...I wont get into it, but I guess your telling me to save in the first subdivide

My proccess is like so
1. Import the .OBJ file from Maya with UV's to Zbrush
2. Draw out the obj, hit Edit then click on Store Morph Target
3. Subdivide up to highest level handled by my machine...usuallyy 5-6 Subdiv level
4. Add in deatail using Projection Paster or the main sculpting tools
5. Save my detailed object as a Tool(.ZTL) ...for working on later adding more detail
6. Then I go to the lowest subdiv level
7. Click on Switch in the morph target section.
8. In the normal map options I have
Tangent: On / Normal Map Res: 2048
Adaptive: On / Smooth UV's: Off
9. Click Create Normal Map

I hope that l cleared up what I am doing.

I need to go back to the orininal shape b/c I am using Normal Maps on my character in Maya to animate.

I recently was using the UV Check in Z Brush and found a few small red areas...meaning I have overlapong UV's. I checked all my UV's before importing but Z Brush says it found overlapping...so I went back to Maya and found out when I gave my model one smooth(Subdivide) before exporting...that subdividing overlapped some UV's.

My whole point is could a few overlapping UV's really mess up Z Brush like that?

I will clean them up I guess, it wont hurt it.

Thank you for reeading all that and thank you for any responses anyone may have

THANK YOU:D

Andreseloy
02-08-2006, 05:18 PM
what is your system properties?
what are your Preference>Mem setting?
Thanks in advance
Andreseloy

eblondin
02-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Yes You ALWAYS want to save at level one, it will save all your work, donít worry. and it will definitely fix your crashing upon loading the piece again.

I would also be interested on your system specs and how many polys you are trying to create here. You say level 5 or 6 but that could mean anything.

eblondin
02-08-2006, 11:09 PM
also, you should definitely be using zmapper if you are creating normal maps inside zbrush.

its free zmapper (http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=031281)

AlpahKaneda
02-09-2006, 05:05 AM
Thank you agian for replies, I am soo forgetful I meant to include my system specs..but forgot sorry.

Dual AMD athlon 64 3800
2GB RAM
3D1 SLI in one 6600GT
XP Pro

I use to have all sorts of crashing problems with all programs untill I made my page file larger in my windows settings......My Z Brush compact memory setting is at 1024 ( I only have music playing while doing work) instead of the default 256.

I am defenitly gonna start saving at the lowest subdivsion level, and then maybe I should be fine.

My ploy count at max subdiv is around 3 almost 4 million....but my system handles it just fine while working. (I use Multithreading b/c I have a dual Proccessor and the test says it increases my performance my 47%)

Last I do use ZMapper....but it really doesnt help me much ( I feel its due to lack of knowlege about the plug-in) I just downloaded the manual for Z Mapper

Thanks for all the help I will try saving at lowest Subdiv and hopefully somthing as simple as that will fix my prob.
I really appreciate your attention to this thread thank you all again

eblondin
02-09-2006, 05:07 AM
Alright good luck, you should be able to up your mem to more something closer to like 1500 or so if you have 2 gigs of ram. might help a bit.

AlpahKaneda
02-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Well I did up my ram in Z Brush b/c I actually went into Task Manager and actually did some math (b/c I have a few other programs running sometimes)

But good knews is I havnt got any crashes soo far after saving in lowest Subdivition:thumbsup:

Funny how I actually didnt feel right saving in the lowest subdiv.....stupid of me!

THANK YOU SOO MUCH FOR THE HELP:thumbsup: :eek: :buttrock:

eblondin
02-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Sweet glad I could fix your prob :)

Andreseloy
02-11-2006, 11:42 AM
I am not sure: if you have two processor each work with the max RAM 1024? not 1500?
Andreseloy

JoeBananas
02-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Funny how I actually didnt feel right saving in the lowest subdiv.....stupid of me!

I can understand that totally - I've never saved my zbrush tools at the lowest subdiv either - not had any problems with crashing - but thanks for the heads up eblondin! :thumbsup:

DorisDay
02-22-2006, 08:28 AM
I can understand that totally - I've never saved my zbrush tools at the lowest subdiv either - not had any problems with crashing - but thanks for the heads up eblondin! :thumbsup:

Ditto that, I've always saved at the level I'm working at & never had a crash...:shrug:

eblondin
02-22-2006, 09:14 AM
Hey if you havenít had a crash yet thatís awesome, but it is ideal to save at level one, for load times, files size and to prevent potential tool corruptions as well as just crashing zbrush.

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2006, 09:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.