PDA

View Full Version : I'm lost - did Softimage really become affordable?

Pedro
02-08-2006, 01:48 AM
Hi guys,

I've been out of the 3d thing for years. I came back, got a job, and I've been planning to get back to this awesome hobby.

I was a lightwave user(great modeller, but never got the animation system), and always dreamt of someday buying a Softimage license(which were several thousand dollars back then).

Now I went to the Softimage site, and they're selling "XSI FOUNDATION version 5" for about 500 dollars. Is this possible? Is XSI the same thing as Softimage?

Is the "Foundation" thing kind of like a cheap version, or what? I clicked on the "Professional" tab, but it's the same price. Is it some crippled version, or is it really that cheap?

Does anyone know if that's all I would need to begin making 3d animations? Or what extra software do you have to purchase from Avid(it says Mental Ray is implemented! :O )? And what's a recommended system for running softimage these days? (I know, there's probably still not enough RAM in the world...)

In short, please tell me if this is as awesome as I think it is.

JDex
02-08-2006, 01:52 AM
Welcome back to the 3D world... yes, SI has become more affordable and on top of that has released a very inexpensive version of their app. Foundation does almost everything that most users need, and does it very well.

Try the demo.

As for a system, it's all relative to what you need to do. I currently use a 30 month old rundown laptop and it runs fine for most of my needs. Get any modern $1500+ computer and you'll be smoking.

Edit: Stop pinching yourself, you are awake.

Pedro
02-08-2006, 04:03 AM
Is the 495 dollar "Foundation" version the most expensive one? Or is there another more professional version that has more cool stuff?

Edit: Never mind, I found a graph with the differences. =) This is amazing.
Anyone know what's the price of the advanced version?

JDex
02-08-2006, 04:38 AM
Is the 495 dollar "Foundation" version the most expensive one? Or is there another more professional version that has more cool stuff?

Edit: Never mind, I found a graph with the differences. =) This is amazing.
Anyone know what's the price of the advanced version?

About $7,000 plus maintenance. To get a quote, contact sales@softimage.com or your regional reseller.

Pedro
02-08-2006, 05:07 AM
Yowch... Yeah, I think I'll get the Foundation version :)

WillBellJr
02-08-2006, 03:08 PM
And it's worth every penny too! ;)

Foundation is one of the best deals around right now - the power you get at that price point is amazing! :buttrock:

-Will

terencemace
02-09-2006, 01:16 AM
Pedro, Foundation does everything, except Fur and Compositing. And some dynamics. But that's basically it. It's awesome.

T

Obizzz
02-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Yep really great for it's price

I use it both at home and at work.. wasn't so hard to convince them to let me model in XSI when it was so cheap :D

CGTalk Moderation
02-11-2006, 04:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.