PDA

View Full Version : first serious attempt with zbrush, and i got stuck

sight
02-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Hi, okey, i made a low poly mesh in max, unwrap it and exported it to zbrush, once there i starting sculping and subdividing, but i have a few questions

- this gargolyle should have elf like ears, but i dont have enought density to make em, how can i solve this?

- i what to make the "eye hole" so i can put a sphere back in max, just...how? how can i know when the curvature of the eye its correct to place an sphere?

- i need more density in the wings, but no in the body, dunno how to make this either

thx people, sorry if i miss some thread about this stuff :D

Andreseloy
02-08-2006, 01:12 AM
I suggest to make a clone of your already model first and then work with it in Projection Master appliying deformation with a 3dsphere.
If you make poligroups you can also work with individual areas and export it like it, the areas that need more density can then be worked isolated. Make sense? made I a clear explanation?
Andreseloy

sight
02-08-2006, 05:29 PM
didnt got it, sorry :(

kilon
02-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Take a look at masking. Using ctrl key you apply a mask area then you can use divide to add more details to the area that is unmasked ( the masked area appears always darker). This will work even thought it is not always the most convinient aproach.

My advise is to run the zbrush scripts dealing with masking to learn more for this technique.

For me the safest way because I use XSI is to add more polygons to the areas that i need more detail before importing to Zbrush that will make sure that each time you subdivide in zbrush those areas will always have more detail. Also take a look at xres yres zres at transform panel if you use zspheres, they control how much detailed each zsphere is.

You want to make a hole well you can use the sphere as a reference to model the geometry of the hole , and in this case I will suggest doing this outside zbrush. It is just a matter of moving vertexes pararell to the sphere's surface.

There are a lot of tutorials for eye modeling go google youself !!

So there you have it that should solve your problems what more you want?

You do not miss a thread , you just need to take a break and use the zbrush help and tutorial to atleast understand the basic tools. if you do these kind of problems will simply disapear.

sight
02-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Thx you, im also using 3d studio, so i may have to go back to the low poly mesh base and add same detail there, there is some way to do that and not to loose the already scuped work?

kilon
02-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Actually there is a way and is pretty common!

I have not try it myself but I see no reason why it should not work for you. You can create a displacement map from zbrush to store the sculped elements. You can create an altogether new base mesh if you like and then apply the displacent map in the projection master as a deformetion only, using the plane tool as a brush and importing the displacement as the texture. It should work. Diplacement maps are a clever idea to import geometry charecteristics from other objects. The huge advantage is that you do not need to apply the whole displacement map you can apply only portion of it. The possibilities are limitless.

I have just download a tutorial for texturing from the zbrush website. It is surely an eye opener and you should also downloaded if you want to learn the specific of this techinque. People are always woried geting right the base mesh but the miracle here is that you can always go back, sometimes it is a bit difficult with detailed models but it is relaxing to know that you can always go back.

sight
02-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Thx for everything man :)

good luck :D

CGTalk Moderation
02-19-2006, 09:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.