PDA

View Full Version : particles 'n' stuff in messiah

ZenTarzan
02-07-2006, 10:37 PM
i have a dilemma. i recently bought messiah, but i havent used it extensively at all. i dont own a production license of any other software (im a student). i just got handed a job, to produce some cg shots for a documentary on city water systems, so i need to be able to do some decent effects. does messiah have anything remotely usable in this field? and what would be some good, relatively cheap, easy to learn, alternatives... for say, simulating water. also, can the renderer handle that kind of stuff, i know some of those guys can do some amazing stuff, but it is afterall character animation software. basically can someone give me a good software line up to do production quality cg with a fast learning curve. also im looking at silo as a modeler, any opinions?

stooch
02-07-2006, 10:46 PM
good luck with water simulation. lol maybe blender?

definitelly look into a modeler, wings3d, LW, modo

i would go with LW personally, it has particles and hypervoxels for your water needs. its no realflow or scanline but should be adequate. i wouldnt even bother with messiah unless you want to do character animation or something.

ZenTarzan
02-07-2006, 11:16 PM
ya, i got messiah only with the intention of doing character animation... what about the basic version of xsi? does it have enough as far as simulation? i dont need anything ground breaking, i just need to achieve 'documentary' diagram sort of stuff. is the learning curve really steep with xsi? im mostly a max user now, but thats resulted in nothing but hatred. i really want to use messiah as much as possible, just cause it looks wonderful, and id rather spend my time learning it in and out than learning something else as well, but i do realize it was by no means intended for something like this.

stooch
02-07-2006, 11:31 PM
i feel LW would be more full featured and a better deal overall. however its totally your call, compare features and decide for yourself i guess. but id pick LW if its my sole tool for a project.

btw people on the newtek forums are talking about using blenders particles in LW so it might be useful.

AAAron
02-07-2006, 11:35 PM
My dream is Realflow support to Messiah it would really add a lot to the app..

XSI foundation got fluids but no rigid bodies but I havenīt tested it.

By the way, stooch I just started a poll for a general dynamics forum in the sugestions forum if your interested.

ZenTarzan
02-08-2006, 05:16 AM
what about using blender particles in messiah? or possibly baking simulation animation from blender to render in messiah?

stooch
02-08-2006, 02:15 PM
i believe particle rendering is something that is being worked on for the next update of messiah. but thats just a guess because pmg is extremely vague as to what is actually being worked on.

Wegg
02-08-2006, 02:59 PM
It is. They are cool. The sample scenes that Taron is making for us are pretty mind blowing. Especially in how fast they render.

calilifestyle
02-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Blender it's free wont hurt to try, But If you want something cheap try Animation Master . I have seen some good stuff come out of AM. Now my last version i used was 8.5, so in any case it may not hurt to use blender, because you can export from Blender. Or use a comp program and fake the water effects.

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2006, 06:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.