PDA

View Full Version : facerobot, when?

xsitar
02-07-2006, 02:20 PM
seems like some companies are already working with it but when will it be available for purchase and when is it shipping?

EternalArt
02-07-2006, 02:59 PM
it's still in test in some studios ... no one knows release date yet ..

CiaranM
02-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Isn't it going to be exceedingly expensive?

SheepFactory
02-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Isn't it going to be exceedingly expensive?

When did softimage announce pricing for face robot?

I love baseless speculations like this :)

jason-slab
02-07-2006, 04:46 PM
as far as i know it's still in Alpha, so i rekon we gonna have to wait a while :(

js

JDex
02-07-2006, 04:53 PM
When did softimage announce pricing for face robot?

I love baseless speculations like this :)

At TDLove... Micheal Isner made it very clear that it was going to be outside of the budget of all but the most extravagant individuals.

CiaranM
02-07-2006, 06:05 PM
At TDLove... Micheal Isner made it very clear that it was going to be outside of the budget of all but the most extravagant individuals.

Yep, I was there too.
Sorry, I should have elaborated. It was made very clear that this was a product using breakthrough technology that would be aimed at very large production companies only. Maybe 5-10 years down the line there would be something based on this technology that would be affordable for the small fry. At least, that was the clear impression that was made.

LemonNado
02-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Clear Message from SoftImage: If you can pay for it and you need it, you can have it. The Special Projects Group is ready to pitch a tent in your frontyard and help you do the Job with the FaceRobot. Cost is the usual arm and a leg in the production environment for a new groundbreaking Effect.
When everybody has been FaceRoboted to death, then we all get it and the special FX teams will have to move on to WhateverIsPopularRobot. Maybe BrainRobot judging some actors lately...
Lemo

tredeger
02-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Wasn't Behavior in the neighborhood of $13k for about 10 minutes before it was, what, free with XSI?

I know it's too much to hope that Soft would do the same with Face, especially given the fact that Face is geared to a much different task. But if they DID roll it up into XSI it seems this would be the *perfect* time. As desk stays busy for countless months integrating corporate cultures before tackling product dev integration, Soft could make enormous inroads with versions 6 & 7 if they included features like Face and say, a built-in muscle system. Seems the XSI marketshare grab would be worth more in the long run than keeping Face permanently expensive. Expect it will stay pricey for a bit though.

ThE_JacO
02-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Wasn't Behavior in the neighborhood of $13k for about 10 minutes before it was, what, free with XSI?

I know it's too much to hope that Soft would do the same with Face, especially given the fact that Face is geared to a much different task. But if they DID roll it up into XSI it seems this would be the *perfect* time. As desk stays busy for countless months integrating corporate cultures before tackling product dev integration, Soft could make enormous inroads with versions 6 & 7 if they included features like Face and say, a built-in muscle system. Seems the XSI marketshare grab would be worth more in the long run than keeping Face permanently expensive. Expect it will stay pricey for a bit though.

behaviour started exactly like facerobot did, it was a special project for r!ot on the one and blade.
then it made it to special projects for studios that would pay the team, and not the app.
then it made it to commercial for 12k and stood there for the best part of a year, price was taken down to 10k and then 7 or 8 for another year, and then it made it to free (only with advanced).

I have a problem seeing how that is only 10 minutes ;)
unless you've invented a timewarping system that is, or your other personality took over your life for the best part of three years.

JDex
02-08-2006, 11:23 PM
...or your other personality took over your life for the best part of three years.

I hate when that happens. :D

withanar
02-09-2006, 03:51 AM
Face|Robot is as much a learning process for Softimage as it is for the clients who are involved in its development.

Softimage has had to develop all the necessary components, from deformation operations, to GUI widgets, to all the special secret tricks, in order to make something as difficult as Facial animation easier, while producing a higher quality result.

We should expect to see a subset of these components appear as new operations, GUI widgets, and SDK functions in upcoming major releases of XSI. So we probably won't get the Face|Robot functionality off the shelf for a long while, but we'll still be gaining a lot of goodies and functionality to use for our own evil purposes.

daskog
02-09-2006, 06:32 AM
but we'll still be gaining a lot of goodies and functionality to use for our own evil purposes.

BUhahahaha *lol* seriously that is funny =P

LemonNado
02-09-2006, 04:15 PM
FaceRobot, unlike other functionality in XSI, also relies on external Mocap hardware and software... So there is simply no cheap way to enjoy cool FaceRobot results.
Rainer

ThE_JacO
02-09-2006, 10:32 PM
FaceRobot, unlike other functionality in XSI, also relies on external Mocap hardware and software... So there is simply no cheap way to enjoy cool FaceRobot results.
Rainer

nope, it's been said, shown and demoed how it can be controlled manually by animating the keypoints if you want to refine the capture or just plain hand animate it.

luceric
02-10-2006, 12:45 AM
There are no real parallels to make with Behaviour. Behaviour is based on a product made by a company (Motion Factory) that Avid/Softimage bought six years ago. It was a product for realtime behaviour-based animation in games, and at version 2.0 at the end of 1999. It was tweaked, optimized and rebranded for crowds in the broadcast and films market, then eventually bundled with XSI to give it more direct exposure. This was also around the time when XSI dropped price drastically.

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2006, 12:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.