PDA

View Full Version : Maya 7 users? what zmapper setting do you use?

tims3d
02-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi guys I'm having hard time generating the correct normal map using zmapper for maya 7, I tried all the pre config settings and none of them works when I tried to view it inside maya 7, it either gives me noticeable seams or weird shadings, so I'm curious if anyone actually has any success using zmapper with maya 7? I have no problem using surface sampler from maya 7 to generate normal map, however sometimes my zb model is really heavy on polycounts and it crashes my system when I import it into maya so I would really prefer zmapper if I know how.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

hanzo
02-08-2006, 10:43 PM
I have this same problems, I'm really getting good at my ZB sculpting and would like to use it for some of the game assets I create...

unfortunately like you although I can generate normal maps in ZB they don't seem to look very well ( or at the very least flat ) when I use it on the original lower poly model in max, mysteriously I import the high density mesh into max and generate the map there ( if it doesn't crash ) and it looks excellent.

I wish I could just bypass max7 importing and just do all those Normal generations in ZB this would make my life easier. :P

tims3d
02-09-2006, 05:12 AM
I have this same problems, I'm really getting good at my ZB sculpting and would like to use it for some of the game assets I create...

unfortunately like you although I can generate normal maps in ZB they don't seem to look very well ( or at the very least flat ) when I use it on the original lower poly model in max, mysteriously I import the high density mesh into max and generate the map there ( if it doesn't crash ) and it looks excellent.

I wish I could just bypass max7 importing and just do all those Normal generations in ZB this would make my life easier. :P

hi there, I heard a lot of people using zmapper and 3dmax with no problem, did you try all the 3dmax preconfig settings?

AlpahKaneda
02-14-2006, 01:46 AM
Sorry but I am no help, but I am having the same problems with Maya 7...Crappy looking Normal Maps!
If I use the original way of creating Normal Maps, not Z Mapper...it all looks great using JS Normal Mapper, but now Z Brush crashes right at the end of creating the Normal Map..so I am forced to use Z Mapper...which is creating horrible Normal Maps :(

I get all sorts of artifacts and faceted shadeing using Zmapper Maps in Maya 7

So its a sad thing...and no option in Zmapper fixes it (I cant find one at least)

Hope Someone can solve our problem:thumbsup:
Thanks all

eblondin
02-14-2006, 08:52 AM
I went off of my custom settings for 3ds max and it looks great in maya 7.

*If anyone is having problems with seams with normal maps created from zbrush viewing them in your other apps like maya or max. 99 percent of the time it is just because you need to flip the red or green channel thatís it.*

Anyhow... I have found that it depends on how you implement them in max or maya as well.

There are about 6 or 7 different ways to view normal maps in max view port and only about one in maya (that i know of) . I have had to flip the red or green channel based on what method I am using to implement them.

But this custom zmapper settings work most of the time for both max and maya. At least on my most recent mesh any how :)

Here are two different settings that I have made:

newest (http://www.ericblondin.com/zbrush/3dsmax8redgreen.zmp)
This one worked for me in max and maya feel free to change anything you want.

older (http://www.ericblondin.com/zbrush/forum/3dsmax8modifiedE.zmp)
These are the settings that I used to use, but recently gave odd results with certain meshes. give em a try though as well.

hope this helps guys

tims3d
02-14-2006, 09:24 PM
I went off of my custom settings for 3ds max and it looks great in maya 7.

*If anyone is having problems with seams with normal maps created from zbrush viewing them in your other apps like maya or max. 99 percent of the time it is just because you need to flip the red or green channel thatís it.*

Anyhow... I have found that it depends on how you implement them in max or maya as well.

There are about 6 or 7 different ways to view normal maps in max view port and only about one in maya (that i know of) . I have had to flip the red or green channel based on what method I am using to implement them.

But this custom zmapper settings work most of the time for both max and maya. At least on my most recent mesh any how :)

Here are two different settings that I have made:

newest (http://www.ericblonin.com/zbrush/3dsmax8redgreen.zmp)
This one worked for me in max and maya feel free to change anything you want.

older (http://www.ericblonin.com/zbrush/forum/3dsmax8modifiedE.zmp)
These are the settings that I used to use, but recently gave odd results with certain meshes. give em a try though as well.

hope this helps guys

eblondin I really appreciated your help, as for the flip channel thing, I actually tried them before but have no success with maya. I'm gonna try your setting next, but first you might want to fix the link as both of them are dead at this moment.

Again thanks for the help!

eblondin
02-14-2006, 09:39 PM
really odd. but fixed the links sorry.

Yeah there are other factors but I am just saying in general that is the problem for most people. trying out different variations on the flip red and green or both usually comes up with the correct results.

eblondin
02-16-2006, 06:13 PM
are these settings working for anyone else?

ryankingslien
02-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Hello!

Alias changed how Maya reads normals maps from Maya 6.5 to 7. This is one of the reasons that Pixologic built the various configurations. So we can all keep up with the different implementations that other companies will use.

I tested the issues this weekend and it seems the best way to simulate Maya's surface sampler normal map generator is the following:

Use Maya_tangentSpace_bestQuality.cfg
In the Expert Pass 1 tab turn off Absolute tangents
In the Expert Pass 2 tab select Mode 1 (first bar). Mode is in the bottom right.

This should generate a normal map that is equivalent to the one created by surface sampler. :)

As has been said before, ZMapper can generate a normal map for any game engine or 3d application. The trick is establishing the correct settings in the Expert Pass tabs. Normal mapping is still in the wild west stage of slight anarchy, slight irrational exuberance.

When you are experimenting with settings in ZMapper it is best to turn on tangents and just click buttons in the expert pass tabs to see what happens to the tangents with different Orthogonalize and Derive settings. :)

Also, if you do not get the results you want no matter what settings you use, try the different modes in expert pass 2 tab.

Switching the red and green channel will only work if you notice large scale discrepencies in your map. Most of the problems I have seen in Maya 7 are in the wrists and areas where the UV map may actually be flipped. This is where removing the absolute tangent setting becomes important.

I hope this helps. I will try to post more information about what these settings mean as i can. :thumbsup:

Please let us know if you have any success with these settings yourself. :)

Best,

Ryan

ryankingslien
02-21-2006, 01:06 AM
Maya 7 Surface Sampler Approximation settings can be found here:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=30858

Unzip it and place it here:

C:\Program Files\Pixologic\ZBrush2\ZStartup\ZPlugs\ZMapperData\ZMapperCustomConfigurations

I hope this helps.

Ryan

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2006, 01:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.