PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Challenge #2: sjmcc

sjmcc
02-07-2006, 05:29 AM
Okay, well I guess someone has to be the first to post. I chose script #2 for my first attempt. It was rendered in Cinema 4d. I used a volumetric spot for the sunlight. I also placed an area light in the main window. Two more area lights were used for fills. The texturing could really use some work. I will create a better breakdown after getting some critiques and ideas on how to improve the image. Please let me know what you think.

http://www.allcinema4me.com/cinema/lighting/Hungover1.jpg

jeremybirn
02-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Looking good! I think the texturing's fine. For script #2 you'd want the scene to look sortof bleak, so I'd think you could leave the texture at a state that isn't very rich. Maybe those knobs on the cabinets shouldn't be as reflective, if you're trying for a bleak scene and they are in a back-lit wall.

But for that script I'd think something special should be done to the bottle. I don't know what, different people will have different ideas. Could it use some rim light? Caustics through it? Move the camera lower so part of it is back-lit by the window? Or make it be an almost black silhouette with god rays from the window filtering around it? I don't know, but somehow the bottle could stand out, more than let's say the chair, right?

I don't know if it distinctly captures the POV of a drunk, but I guess you've already hit a picture of a morning you don't want to face, and that's something universal and valid whether you have a hangover or not.

-jeremy

sjmcc
02-08-2006, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the reply Jeremy. I really wasn't happy with the bottle either. I tried something a little different with this one to try and draw more focus towards it. I'm not really sure if it worked or not. Let me know what you think.

http://allcinema4me.com/cinema/lighting/Hungover2.jpg

jeremybirn
02-08-2006, 06:18 AM
That is a nicer shot, but he's supposed to be considering drinking it, seeing it as it was in the original scene. In the first one, the tip of the bottle met with the bottom of the window frame to form a perfect T, it was a sort of "false tangency" that could be fixed with a new camera angle.

-jeremy

MasterZap
02-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Uh... I see no pictures!?

EDIT: Never mind, now I see piccies!

/Z

ACamacho
02-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Hey sjmcc,

I like the second image better than the first one. It has a softer look. I would probably increase the intensity of the table reflection. Just because if the window is blown out like that I would expect the reflection to be more intense. Also, try adding some glow to the window. Not too much but just to add to the overexposure. Judging by the long shadows, you would probably see some indication of the sun on upper part of the window....so maybe adding another smaller glow to show that too. But just some suggestions. :) Keep at it!

sjmcc
02-10-2006, 05:38 AM
Thank you very much for the comments. It helps to make this a great learning experience. Here's one more try at this script with a slightly different camera angle.

http://www.allcinema4me.com/cinema/lighting/Hungover4.jpg

yohann
02-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Now the bootle don't have a glass aspect. It's intentional?

I think if you put the key light look for the floor too you can do a beauty reflect over the doors cabinet.

More darkness on the up wall area you have more contrast in your scene.

Good job!!! :)

jeremybirn
02-10-2006, 02:03 PM
New angle's OK, but I think you need more of that glare and the contrast between light and dark in the scene and some light through the bottle or glinting off it... maybe some of the elements from your first image need to be worked in?

-ieremy

sjmcc
02-11-2006, 05:35 AM
Ok. Here's another shot at this. I changed some of the lights I was using because the render times were just to long for the results I was getting. Let me know what you think of this one.

http://www.allcinema4me.com/cinema/lighting/Hungover5.jpg

royterr
02-11-2006, 10:03 PM
the brightness contrast between the table and the bottle is good, but mabe you should invert it.
the bottle should be brighter and the table darker.

sun rays are parallel, we can see the cone shape of your rays threw the glow effect.

CGTalk Moderation
02-11-2006, 10:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.