PDA

View Full Version : Trying to simulate refracting bubbles...

thesquare
02-07-2006, 04:36 AM
Here is the problem. I have to do a shot of animated bath bubbles, floating and bobbing on the air - they need to move realistically and refract realistically.

I WAS going to do this as 3D rendered sequence - using Brazil & Alpha - but was thinking there may be a smarter way of doing it in After Effects. Is there? I can draw up a nice bubble in photoshop - but how do I get a realistic refraction and particle movement happening in AE. Is there a good tutorial on this kind of thing that I haven't seen?

Thanks in advance?

Jonathan

Mylenium
02-07-2006, 04:51 AM
Here is the problem. I have to do a shot of animated bath bubbles, floating and bobbing on the air - they need to move realistically and refract realistically.

I WAS going to do this as 3D rendered sequence - using Brazil & Alpha - but was thinking there may be a smarter way of doing it in After Effects. Is there? I can draw up a nice bubble in photoshop - but how do I get a realistic refraction and particle movement happening in AE. Is there a good tutorial on this kind of thing that I haven't seen?

Thanks in advance?

Jonathan

There are plugins such as Foam, but you shouldn't expect it to be realistic. Refraction can be faked to some degree by using the Displacement effect, but that's as good as it gets.

Mylenium

muiisal
02-10-2006, 10:26 AM
you can get some lovely bubble type action using a combination of Sphere (the proper one, not just the bulge one... by memory it is CC Sphere) and also Lens

you could also try feeding it into a particle system to avoid animating each bubble. I'd recommend Trapcode's Particular. Very very effecient and also as true a 3D as Ae gets.

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2006, 10:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.