PDA

View Full Version : Compositing Questions

The One
02-07-2006, 02:45 AM
Hi! I'm really new at this whole thing,so please excuse me if my questions are stupid. I researched the forums but I couldn't find anything on this, so I thought of making a new thread. Anyway,I have a couple of questions:

a) I'm shooting with a really low quality camera (it's not even a video camera) and trying to composite 3D elements into the shot. Obviously,the footage quality is really poor. What is really killing my compositions is the fact that I cannot replicate the 'artifacts' of the background plate. http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/7927/example6vg.jpg"]Here's (Here's) an example. So my question is, is there any way to make my 3D objects have that low-quality look? Cause they seem awefully 'clean' right now. I've tried using the mosaic filter on a really small scale, but it doesn't look quite that way.

b) I'm going to try and composite water into that same shot - like a water being rising from the pool. I've created the 3D being, but I need some help making it look like real water. Any tips would be greatly appreciated,such as how to composite the reflections, help with the lighting, etc. By the way, I'm using After Effects 6.5 . Thanks in advance,

-Matt

payton
02-07-2006, 05:12 PM
i think the best way to get these artifacts is to save your 3d stuff as .jpg sequences with low qualitiy settings (test what quality looks "best"). if this does not the complete trick, try scaling the images after that. thats it.
good luck,
payton

The One
02-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Thank very much for the reply! I will try that as soon as I can, but what if I've already rendered it? Is there any way to fake it?

payton
02-08-2006, 08:14 AM
dont rerender it.
import the final uncompressed render it into f.e. after effects and export it as jpg sequence. try and error will help you find out the right settings of jpg compression to achieve the right artifacts.
good luck,
payton

The One
02-08-2006, 03:56 PM
It worked! Thank you soooo much! :applause: I really appreciate your help! Now,if anyone has any tips on compositing water, that would be really helpful too.

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2006, 03:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.