PDA

View Full Version : I was told booleans are BAD

Bsmith
02-06-2006, 11:19 PM
so I was just watching some video tuts at buzz and well he used booleans...and I'm taking a intro 3d animation class where my teacher told us to stay away from booleans and that they are bad. He won't even show us how to use them.
\
So who's right and who's wrong b/c booleans could make modeling easier but I don't want to frick things up if you know what I mean.

gjpetch
02-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Booleans are good for hard surface modeling, not so good for organic models that have to be aimated.

Per-Anders
02-07-2006, 12:31 AM
The reasons why booleans aren't so good on objects to be animated is more to do with if the surface has to be deformed. Booleans create all sorts of crazy topology adding in edges and breaking up the surface willy nilly, and that results in things deforming weirdly. There are some better boolean solutions out there, (for instance Max's power boole) but even there it's never a sure fire thing that you'll get a mesh that's useable out of it.

There are no right or wrong ways to model though and boole's can be useful, but if you model using booleans, you're very likely going to end up spending a great deal of time tidying up and cleaning up the mesh so that it's ready/suitable for deformation.

salmonmoose
02-07-2006, 12:51 AM
I don't know about other packages, but 3dsmax's booleans are notoriously nasty, if you can possibly avoid them try to.

I've found personally, that max's patch modeling tools are a good workaround for not useing booleans. I haven't yet had time to play with the new Power Booleans.

Bsmith
02-07-2006, 01:18 AM
yeah max is what we're using.

Stefan-Morrell
02-07-2006, 08:16 AM
though Max is releasing Power booleans for subscribers soon,which should blow away the argument that Max booleans are bad

scrimski
02-07-2006, 08:17 AM
They ain't bad, they are EVIL!

io,
02-07-2006, 08:20 AM
As long as the boolean tool exists, for sure there must be a use of it. As gjpetch mentioned, is good for hard surface modeling and you can use it on deformable surfaces (and I think, combined with alive history is a powerful tool) think of a operable broken umbrella :)

-NG-
02-07-2006, 09:18 AM
When using booleans try getting the most control out of it. With that i mean dont go randomlly cut holes in your object. Ass they could create weird topology that could lead to rendering errors sometimes. Try to control it the best you can.

Shonner
02-09-2006, 07:15 AM
You lose control of the polyline flow in your models when the computer decides for you how and where polylines will be placed after boolean operations are made. Beveling is harder to do (in polygon mode) along edges left by booleans. This is where NURBS modeling shines with boolean operations because NURBS edges are much easier to bevel.

Ghostscape
02-10-2006, 08:47 PM
The problem with Booleans is that they create very poor topology that does not deform correctly and frequently contains errors. They have their uses but they require cleaning up the mesh afterwards and are really only useful for hard surfaces.

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2006, 08:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.