PDA

View Full Version : 8.x Crashes HARD

Mr. Cadillac
02-06-2006, 11:02 PM
I work in a professional environment and am usually working across a network on shared files... When LW crashes the computer will lock up solid... this happens to everyone and I'm wondering if this is because it is going across a network or a windows thing or what- Perhaps a misalignment of the planets? These are all Boxx workstations with xp or 2k, running 8.3 or 8.5. I've had 30 plus crashes like that in 2 weeks, very frustrating becuase it takes out anything else you're working on too.

Anyone have a suggestion or somesuch? Thanks!

Shade01
02-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Can you post some additional info so maybe somebody can help you?

What are you doing when it crashes? Any 3rd party plugins or scripts running? Any other software running in the background? Does it happen on any type of file or only on large or small files?

Dragon_Lee
02-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Have the urge to add that I have not had LW crash/lockup the OS in a LONG time...
Not even when gathering data over the network, nor when other apps take away a chunk of the cpu power...

And since the 8.2+ releases LW rarely crashes itself to desktop either...

I do know of a way to semi repeatable lockup my XP using LW, but I suspect it is not due to LW giving problems...
The only way I can cause these lockups is if I have LW/Modeler open and open a wmv(9/10) file in windows media player, or another video player, 8/10 times XP will go into a loop of sorts and cannot get out of it w/o a hard reset...
I suspect this is a combined problem in nvidia's (OpenGL)drivers and the Windows Media format...

habaņero
02-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Your a little short in information but I'd take bets on 2:1 that you have issues with display, not networking. Are you using the same display drivers? What version?

Windows networking is not my favorite cereal but I run it over network myself here, it is sometimes bitchy but I do not get those hard crashes after I got new display drivers.Obviously firewall issues does sometimes happen, do you have software firewalls? and what antivirus? The event log in control panel-> administrative tools can sometimes give you a hint on your problem although with crashes it doesn't always have time to tell windows where it is aching. Eventid.net have listings of those errors and user reports.

You don't get a blue screen? if it just reboots go to cp -> system-> advanced and startup options, hit the automatic reboot after crash button. Now if you get bluescreen (try ctrl alt del after crash if not), it'll name the bastard that is messing with you. If it is "nv"-something its display drivers, roll back and forward, in and out until improvement.

Did you manually upgrade memory on those? Do they have memory in all slots? Sometimes when you add memory and use the automatic detection it detects them wrong and set the timings too tigth. Also you might need looser timings for 4 dimms than for 2, and set just a little bit too tight you can get those hard no bluescreen lockups like a while after putting load on, depending on case temperature and the tide. The correct timings are on a sticker on the memory, and with 4 dimms you might have to change what is called the divider and run the memory at ddr333. I hardly think its the sinner, but its can be a good thing to tick off the list with stuff like this.

Also running LW without the hub is something to try ... good luck!

WillBellJr
02-07-2006, 04:55 PM
I just had this happen to me last week - I would browse to my "CAD/3D" folder and bam, LW would crash. If I browsed to the C:\ - BAM again...

This all seemed to happen after I installed LWCAD cause before that, I NEVER had this problem in all of LW's versions.

What I ended up doing was deleting all the .CFG files in the documents/settings folders and now I no longer have the problem. I only deleted the LW configs, not any for my plugins. LWCAD is still working also.

Not sure what the hell that was but I guess one of the config files got corrupted...

-Will

CGTalk Moderation
02-07-2006, 04:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.