PDA

View Full Version : ikHandle bug on Maya 7!

nelsonteixeira
02-06-2006, 06:09 PM
http://www.animagraphic.com/nelson/render/BugIkHandle.gif

It was working fine... but suddenly it stopped solving properly. I couldnīt figure out the reason as well as a solution for this issue. When it happens I have to save the skin weights, detach skin, delete ikHanle setup, recreate it, skin and load the skin weights back. A REAL NIGHTMARE! Not to mention I have to reanimate! Does anybody went thru this issue??

Winner
02-06-2006, 09:38 PM
i remember something similar in 4.5... the ikhandle in certain scenes would snap the chain straight and refuse to work. I always found that just translating one of the bones in the chain seemed to reset it ( then i would tranlsate the bone back ).. anoying but a simple fix.

why do you have to detach your skin ? i cant see what this has to do with the Ikhandle. You shouldnt need to re-animate either... if this happens again, copy the keys from the buggy handles ( whether theyre solving properly or not ) delete the ik, create a new chain, paste the keys back on that you copied. should work fine.

EyeForComplexity
02-06-2006, 09:50 PM
after making the bone chain for the arm, slightly bend the elbow joint in the direction you want it to bend, then right click on the bone and click set preferred angle, then set the rotation back 0 in the channel box and when you make an ik chain the elbow will bend.

Winner
02-06-2006, 09:55 PM
thanks SEMIRO but I dont think thats the problem here. It seems nelsonteixeira has already got past that stage, but is then encountering an error at some random point down the line. But sure man thats an important part of making the IK chain.

nelsonteixeira
02-07-2006, 02:29 AM
thanks SEMIRO but I dont think thats the problem here. It seems nelsonteixeira has already got past that stage, but is then encountering an error at some random point down the line. But sure man thats an important part of making the IK chain.

Thanxs for your fast replies buddies!

Yeah!! Winner already understood my problem... I already know the Set Prefered Angle thing... thatīs not the point here... The problem arises when I already started the animation stage... and I did tried the moving joint trick, but when I bring it back to its position same shit (sorry) happens! I even triend to let a slightly different value... but still not ok! I wasnīt having this problem with previous versions of Maya.

Here are two example files so anybody maybe could help me!

http://www.animagraphic.com/nelson/cgTalk/Animation01_StillWorking.rar

http://www.animagraphic.com/nelson/cgTalk/Animation02_NotWorking.rar

:cry:

M.E.L.
02-09-2006, 02:35 AM
You do need to offset your elbow.

The reason it's not bending is because it doesn't have a proper resolution plane to compress itself with (a vector requires 3 positional points, a straight line only provides 2).

if you position the elbow back a bit so it can solve all 3 points your problem should be solved :)

-s

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2006, 02:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.