PDA

View Full Version : QuickTime compression for web

createi
02-06-2006, 04:52 PM
I want to use QuickTime for a Demo Reel which i have to put online... but whats the best compression type when publishing quick time movie online?

my movie size is : 425X340

whats the setting they use at apple.com/trailers/ .. how comes my movie loads slower then their movie ?

any advice ?

beenyweenies
02-10-2006, 07:34 AM
I want to use QuickTime for a Demo Reel which i have to put online... but whats the best compression type when publishing quick time movie online?

my movie size is : 425X340

whats the setting they use at apple.com/trailers/ .. how comes my movie loads slower then their movie ?

any advice ?

Probably because they are using a $10,000 hardware compression setup and streaming media servers, and you aren't ;)

Seriously, a lot of people are using the h.264 codec for web movies, it is quicktime based, high resolution and low file size. The problem is that your visitors will need Quicktime 7 to view it. I usually use the Sorenson 3 codec, set at 768kbps data rate, also set to 2-pass vbr (variable bit rate) for a higher resolution version, then a seperate one at closer to 256k data rate.

Compression for any medium, the web included, is a black art that requires heavy experimentation. Keep trying till you hit the best quality for the file size you can get.

sheepfilms
02-11-2006, 12:30 PM
I found this very simple tutorial linked from digg - tried it and got very good results!

http://quicktime.wikicities.com/wiki/Tutorial:High_quality_at_low_bit_rates

I've also found WMV files have a good quality/size ratio, but are less widespread and can't be opened on some OS. Use Windows Media Encoder to make them:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx

payton
02-11-2006, 02:09 PM
try the 3ivx mp4 codec for quicktime (www.3ivx.com). it works muchmuchmuch better then the implemented mpeg4 codec in qt and is fully compatible to it. and its much better then sorenson3. your visitors will need quicktime 6 only to view ur reel. give it a try. its worth the time.
good luck,
payton

MoTiVe187
05-29-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm also running into the same problem. What I did was make two 400x300 versions of my reel one using the sorenson 3 codec and one using the mpeg 2 codec. Both are "lower" quality but load pretty fast. Then I have a larger version of my demo at best quality available to download if one wishes.

I do have a question for you guys though. I want my movies to play as they load, instead of loading completely then playing. The mpeg is the only movie that does this. All the other movs don't. Is there something I need to do in the html code to have the movs do this?

beenyweenies
05-30-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm also running into the same problem. What I did was make two 400x300 versions of my reel one using the sorenson 3 codec and one using the mpeg 2 codec. Both are "lower" quality but load pretty fast. Then I have a larger version of my demo at best quality available to download if one wishes.

I do have a question for you guys though. I want my movies to play as they load, instead of loading completely then playing. The mpeg is the only movie that does this. All the other movs don't. Is there something I need to do in the html code to have the movs do this?

Some compression programs have an "autoplay" option that can be checked off. I don't know that AE exposes this option, which is a bummer. You might be able to tag it as autoplay in the html and get away with it, but I think it's something that is encoded into the file. Here's the html code that would need to be added for autoplay:

<EMBED src="sample.mov" width="160" height="144" autoplay="true"
CONTROLLER="false"
PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/ (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/)"> </EMBED>

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2006, 11:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.