PDA

View Full Version : adding joints after "smooth bind"...is it possible?

yolao
02-06-2006, 04:21 PM
hi there

I just realize that i need some other joints in my figure..but i already smooth bind the joints to the mesh and i also already made some paint weight`s work...

can i add other joints or do i have to do all over again?

and by the way..how do i UNsmooth bind the joint of the mesh in case i need it?

thanks in advance

isoparmB
02-06-2006, 04:50 PM
While in the bind pose, go to skin-edit smooth skin-add influence-option box. Turn off use geometry, and I suggest you turn on lock weights and set it default weights to zero (you can always weight the joint once it's been added to the skin influence). Select your skin, then your new joint, and click apply.

To remove a joint from a smooth skin operation, I think you select the skin, then the joint, then use remove influence.

yolao
02-06-2006, 05:55 PM
While in the bind pose, go to skin-edit smooth skin-add influence-option box. Turn off use geometry, and I suggest you turn on lock weights and set it default weights to zero (you can always weight the joint once it's been added to the skin influence). Select your skin, then your new joint, and click apply.

To remove a joint from a smooth skin operation, I think you select the skin, then the joint, then use remove influence.

thanks a lot Martin...i try what you sugested but when i hit apply i get an error that says "error: problems ocurred with dependency graph setup"

what can i do?

thanks again

P.S. when you say select your skin..you`r refering to the mesh...right?...just checking

ashishdantu
02-07-2006, 04:02 AM
hi yolao,

well, try this:

select your mesh and run the following code : (u can drag it to your shelf)
// Select a skinned mesh and run script, will print the list of bones in the selected
// mesh's skin cluster, in a ready-to-use format. Grab the printed stuff and run it to
// have all the bones selected for you.
// comments & CCs to ashishdantu@yahoo.com

string $skinCluster[]=`ls -sl -flatten`;
for ($each in $skinCluster)
{
string $boneList=("\n// "+$each+" // \n\nselect "+$each+";\n");
string $thisClusterBones[]=`skinCluster -q -inf $each`;
$boneList+="select -tgl ";
$boneList=($boneList+$thisClusterBones[0]+";\n");
for ($z=1; $z<size($thisClusterBones);$z++)
{
$boneList=($boneList+"select -tgl "+$thisClusterBones[$z]+";\n");
}
print $boneList;
}

this code will give ur all the names of the bones which skinned it. store these in a place, u'll use them later.

now, select ur poly skin mesh and in the skin menu, go to options of 'detach skin' and in that choose, the keep history and then say detach skin.

and then u get that printed stuff into the script editor, run it, which will select all the bones, and then shift select ur mesh again and go to skin > smooth skin and skin ur mesh again. this will put a fresh skin cluster on ur mesh, but for the skinning information, it will use the old skin cluster ( thats y u used the keep history option, in detach skin).

now u can do what isoparmB told u. select ur mesh (now with new skin cluster on it) and shift select the new bones, u want to add, edit smooth skin > use add influence option ...

this is a workaround that i've been using to avoid the error: "problems ocurred with dependency graph setup" .. it works.

but maybe some one else can tell us what this exactly means and why it is caused ?
rgds,

seema
02-07-2006, 09:37 AM
i also think if u r ok with deleting ur bind pose node, u can delete it (in hypergraph ->select bindpose(node)->delete ) n then add this new joint as influence. It might not give that error. I have had the same error once n this is wat i did n it worked!

yolao
02-07-2006, 01:26 PM
thanks guys, this are my first steps in rigging...and i`m want to do the things right because i`m looking forward to animation..

CGTalk Moderation
02-07-2006, 01:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.