PDA

View Full Version : import PRT file to maya?

ZippZopp
02-04-2006, 10:42 PM
how can i import a PRT file into maya? is there a special plugin I've got to load? i've searched the forum and couldn't find anything on this. A prt file is some sort of cad file, i think from solidworks maybe. I'm doing something for someone and they gave me a prt file....any idea how to get it into maya?

tciny
02-04-2006, 11:48 PM
You could ask them if they can export it into something more common such as obj or the like... :)

ZippZopp
02-05-2006, 12:09 AM
i'm finding that out..but....in case that doesn't happen though, which it probably won't, is there a way to do it? i downloaded a demo of polyTrans but I isn't recognizing the file...don't know if i need a plugin or something.

ZippZopp
02-06-2006, 06:41 PM
so the latest is that it is a prt File type Step 203 whatever that means.....anyone know how to get this into maya?

Kabab
02-07-2006, 05:42 AM
From the Maya 7 help

Alias® DirectConnect 2.0 is installed with Maya and contains the following updates:

Alias DirectConnect for SolidWorks

We've added an Alias DirectConnect translator that allows you to read SolidWorks format files into Maya. This translator requires SolidWorks to be installed on the same machine.

If that doesn't work for you get them to export a .STP file

ZippZopp
02-07-2006, 07:35 AM
so a PRT file is from solidworks? hmm, i had no idea the kind of file or how to convert it to something else...i'll look into solidworks

ZippZopp
02-09-2006, 12:05 AM
the prt file i found out came from Unigraphics software package which I don't have. is there a way to convert this file via some plugin or program. I know there is probably some sort of issue because maya is a surface modeler whereas Unigraphics and Solidworks are solids modeling packages. Would DeepExploration convert this? anyone have any ideas???

Kabab
02-09-2006, 01:06 AM
Get them to send it to you as a STEP file this will work perfectly with Maya.

ZippZopp
02-09-2006, 01:21 AM
cool, i'll try for that, there wouldn't be a way for me to convert the prt to step so i don't have to wait?

also, any step file will do? or are there any specifications on step file to get it into maya?

Kabab
02-09-2006, 04:43 AM
Maya 7's step importer kicks some serious ass either standard should be fine..

I am sure there are lots of prt to step converters around if you do a google search but it will probably cost you $$$

ZippZopp
02-09-2006, 07:27 PM
thanks for the help, but i just can't get it converted. i tried datakits Unigraphics to step converter and it just says fail...i think there might be something wrong with the file itself. oh well...thanks

dacct
02-09-2006, 08:55 PM
Deep Exploration can read Unigraphics files with its Unigraphics CAD Module http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/formats/index.htm.

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2006, 08:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.