PDA

View Full Version : ROBERTO"S BULLHORN: And idea for a new 2D challenge....And it involves video

RobertoOrtiz
02-04-2006, 03:02 PM
I want to try something soon.
I was thinking that most of our user base has either Mac's or PC.
Well Macs come with I-Movies and PC come with Windows Movie Maker?

Why not make a ONE WEEK 2D challenge using them?

Interested to see what I have in mind, just reply?

:)

-R

Ego
02-04-2006, 03:13 PM
What do you have in mind ROR?

LadyMedusa
02-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Don't hold it secret for that long... what if you forgets it o.o

:D

RobertoOrtiz
02-04-2006, 03:46 PM
I had in mind doing story reels. (definition)
Since they are based on SKETCHES I was thinking of doing a micro challenge.

Ideas like..

Captain Newo Vs the ship Roud One
Holmes vs Moriaty on the Big Ben.
The Car Chase..
The pirate fight.

The artist will have the power to do it as complicated as he or she wishes it to be.

Any takers?

-R

Ok and anticipating the issues:

Free Video File Hosting (savefile.com)
Video editing (Imovies (mac) , Windows Movie Maker (PC)

RobertoOrtiz
02-04-2006, 03:51 PM
And dont forget..

This goes live on Monday..

COMING TO THE DSF: Popular Science! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=314581)

-T

stepington
02-04-2006, 03:58 PM
that sounds fun - time based story exercises?

RobertoOrtiz
02-04-2006, 04:13 PM
that sounds fun - time based story exercises?
Yep...

You guys will be amazed how quickly you can do one these story reels.
-R

aelwine
02-04-2006, 04:29 PM
so, basically it would be doing a kind of sketchy animated short based on a subject/story you give to us ?
what would be the medium allowed ? Only drawings, paintings and such or camera video rushes would be acceptable ?
should it be fully animated or like a layout stage in animation production ? would "paper-cut" animation or clay-animation be accepted too ?

it seems interesting, even though it would take much more time than a daily sketch :)

RobertoOrtiz
02-04-2006, 04:31 PM
so, basically it would be doing a kind of sketchy animated short based on a subject/story you give to us ?
what would be the medium allowed ? like only drawings, paintings and such or camera video rushes would be acceptable ?
shouold it be fully animated or like a layout stage in animation production ? would "paper-cut" animation or clay-animation accepted too ?

it seems interesting, even thoutgh it would take much more time than a a daily sketch :)

That is why i wanted to give people a week to do one.
You would be able to use any medium, as long as there are sketches involved . And the tight dateline (A WEEK) will keep people in control.

-R

TheDagger
02-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Had to check from wikipedia what 'story reel' actually means. In case there are other ignorant ppl like me here, this is what the wikipedia says:

"Often, an animatic or story reel is made after the soundtrack is created, but before full animation begins. An animatic typically consists of pictures of the storyboard synchronized with the soundtrack. This allows the animators and directors to work out any script and timing issues that may exist with the current storyboard. The storyboard and soundtrack are amended if necessary, and a new animatic may be created and reviewed with the director until the storyboard is perfected. Editing the film at the animatic stage prevents the animation of scenes that would be edited out of the film; as traditional animation is a very expensive and time-consuming process, creating scenes that will eventually be edited out of the completed cartoon is strictly avoided."

Mu
02-04-2006, 05:22 PM
I just realized for the first time the existence of windows movie maker. :scream:

So I can drag jpgs onto that storyboard units in wmm and define for how long they are visible?

Do we add soundtrack, too?

Sounds like fun - and after the matte war experience I am bound to just try anything...:D

RobertoOrtiz
02-04-2006, 11:43 PM
I just realized for the first time the existence of windows movie maker. :scream:

So I can drag jpgs onto that storyboard units in wmm and define for how long they are visible?

Do we add soundtrack, too?

Sounds like fun - and after the matte war experience I am bound to just try anything...:D
Windows Movie Maker is a very powerful editing program, I recomend you play with it.

Yes you can add soundtracks to them too.
:)

-R

su
02-05-2006, 03:22 AM
shivers with the idea...

loking forward for this to happen.

Wiggin
02-05-2006, 05:55 PM
This sounds very interesting!!! I've never even considered doing a movie until now. I never heard of WMM. Don't know how good I can doo, but I'll definitely try this one.

Mu
02-05-2006, 06:35 PM
This is a thread with a storyboard (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=297572&page=12&pp=15)for an animatic about Tom Waitses "What's he building in there?"

There is a whole forum somewhere around here, for storyboards, but I forgot where it was.

Anyway, what makes that pages I linked especially interesting (besides the drawings itself which are really nice) are Kirt Stanke's critique and comments. Should be a good first impression for those of us who never saw anything like that not to mention did anything like that before.

Maybe others could link nice animatic storyboards in this thread, too?

OT: Roberto, actually what has become of the DSF card game? Is that idea still on? (hmmm, I don't know wether an idea can actually be on in English - hope you know what I mean... I hate prepositions in english:D )

Ashton
02-05-2006, 11:07 PM
I like the concept.

I think we could be more defined with limits. Like a set number of images in the animatic, and thus time frame. eg. 20sec with 10frames,

I also wonder if people would want to watch something which took too long to dl. It may be hard to keep the motivation going to finish, perhaps some mid week imaginary hiccup from the client could be injected eg. we wanted a fight scene but can you add x into it.

It sounds useful either way.

RobertoOrtiz
02-05-2006, 11:54 PM
I want to keep this as simple as possible.

So I will let people have as much leeway as possible.
I will probably ask people to post still from the story reel so people with slow connections can see them.

And for those waiting for the card game...
Dont worry it is coming soon.

-R

Overchord
02-06-2006, 12:09 PM
It sounds like a fun idea, but jsut to clarify - this would not replace the Daily sketch for a week would it? :shrug:
The reason i'm asking is that, while I would love to give it a go (although I haver never made any animation), I could imagine it would deter quite a lot of people as well since its not jsut a matter of spending an hours or so on making a sketch when people have some time available - it requires a more concentrated commitment, which all participants in the DSG may not have avaiable (in general or on the week where the challenge would run).
But it would be good fun to try out (although i may end up with matchstick-men :D )

Mu
02-06-2006, 01:22 PM
I just imported two randomly chosen jpgs into wmm and with neither rhyme nor reason applied display lengths, filters, titles and blend modes to the images.

this is instant fun!

Although I was thinking "noooo, don't fall in love with the filters - they will hate you for it!" all the time:scream:

But, seriously, with some of them you should be able to apply an idea of movement to the stills.

And, most importantly, it was as intuitive, idiot-proof as can be, imho.

I ignited.

RobertoOrtiz
02-06-2006, 01:46 PM
It sounds like a fun idea, but jsut to clarify - this would not replace the Daily sketch for a week would it? :shrug:
The reason i'm asking is that, while I would love to give it a go (although I haver never made any animation), I could imagine it would deter quite a lot of people as well since its not jsut a matter of spending an hours or so on making a sketch when people have some time available - it requires a more concentrated commitment, which all participants in the DSG may not have avaiable (in general or on the week where the challenge would run).
But it would be good fun to try out (although i may end up with matchstick-men :D )

It will NOT replace the DSF, it will run in pararel. The idea is for people to do a finished storyreel in 7 DAYS. To add variety I'll describe 3-4 different scenes that people can pick from.
-R

TobyArt
02-06-2006, 03:01 PM
So this will start next Monday? Or today? I'm eager to give it a try. Sounds fun!

PS wow, thanx Roberto. My Premier has been crashing, and I need to convert some movies for a webpage. Thanks to you and Windows Movie Maker (which I had no idea existed) I can now convert those movies with ease! :bowdown:

RobertoOrtiz
02-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Ok people we are going LIVE next MONDAY.

You will have 7 DAYS, to post your entry.

I will post script excerpts from classic films.

Ill post more info laterin the week.

-R

Mu
02-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Does anyone know where to watch more examples of animatics? Just for getting a better impression of what should be done...

Overchord
02-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Is it now? Has it started? Did I miss it? Are these my feet? :argh:

Roberto - did you post the scripts somewhere else or will they appear in here.

Sorry just confused today :shrug:

stepington
02-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Does anyone know where to watch more examples of animatics? Just for getting a better impression of what should be done...

Try to think of any finished film (live action or animated) as nothing more than a really fancy storyboard (animatic) - because, well, THEY ARE! In a script and storyboard class the professor had us sketch out ruff storyboard thumbnails from our favorite movies at home. This was achieved by finding a favorite scene and pausing the DVD/VCR on each sequential shot and quickly sketching out the composition. And we'd try to get as many on one page as possible in order to see the action in that sequence rather quickly. It's a great practice that i still do quite often and it teaches you a lot about building a shot sequence in a concise manner without relying heavily on dialog etc.

Hope that helps.

-steph

Mu
02-13-2006, 04:08 PM
This was achieved by finding a favorite scene and pausing the DVD/VCR on each sequential shot and quickly sketching out the composition.

Do you know the "Lone Wolf and Cub" (Ogami Itto) series? It's a japanese comic which I very much love for its cinematic approach. There's not very much text, but often a sequential series of totals of the landscape, "cut", a raindrop falling from a leaf, "cut", then a close-up of feet on the road, things like that.

So this would be my task? I would not have to really indicate the movement of the characters by, say, three shots of a moving arm, but sort of stitch sequential art together?

you know, I ask because (surprise surprise) I watched that animatic of yours with the duck which actually is very close to a completed animation with several key frames of character movement and all and that seemed a whole different thing to me than what I thought we would be doing.

I want to really make a good job of this as I am highly interested in 2D-Animation and would love to dive deeper into the whole thing, so thanks for reading this!

RobertoOrtiz
02-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Ok Ill try to go live next Friday. Do you guys have any ideas you want to bring to the table?

-R

Kirt
02-13-2006, 10:29 PM
I'd like to share this with you folks who are new to WMM. This is from Daily Sketch 101, which was my first time using WMM. It's a fairly easy application to work with ... if I remember correctly it took me only 8 hours to put this little sequence together using Photoshop, Image Ready and WMM.

I'm including my Photoshop file as well (reduced 50% from original & zipped for quicker download), which you should be able to look through and get an idea of how to create your animation frames. There's not a huge amount of movement here, but it can be done.

Enjoy!

Kirt vs. DocBoom animation: Right Click Save (http://www.kirtstanke.com/temp/round2.wmv)
Photoshop file (zipped): Right Click Save (http://www.kirtstanke.com/temp/ds101.zip)

embryotic
02-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Perhaps it would add some more freedom if we could choose, post and work on the scripts of our choice...

but maybe that would make things a bit to crazy..

Mu
02-15-2006, 09:32 AM
I think we definitely need a common topic for all of the participants like in the matte war (pirate port)...

embryotic
02-17-2006, 02:55 AM
what do you know Mr.Mu! :curious:

Just kidding! :D I also agree now - Plus it would be fun to see other members visual interpretations of the same story
Im quite excited about this - is it still happening?

Mu
02-17-2006, 09:09 AM
well, here in germany it's Friday and I wonder what is going to happen today....:D

RobertoOrtiz
02-17-2006, 03:53 PM
As promised...

THE STORY REEL!_Challenge 1: "THE CHASE" (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=319525)

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 03:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.