PDA

View Full Version : Project Phoenix Part 1: Description

Vizfizz
02-04-2006, 05:28 AM
ABOUT:

Project Phoenix
8 February 2006 Ė 22 March 2006

The Electric Image Animation System is one of the oldest 3D applications currently on the market. During the 1990ís the program enjoyed a tremendous following of young artists breaking into the newly developing field of CGI. EIAS has been used in a number film productions and its lineage is rather distinguished. Known for its blazing renderer Camera, and its ability to handle huge polygon counts, the program seemed unstoppable.

Over the years, Electric Image went through a number of upsets that included a major buy out by a company that allowed the program to stagnate. After Play Inc. declared bankruptcy, many thought Electric Image was history. Fortunately that was not the case.

A portion of the programís original founders purchased the rights back to EIAS and reestablished a new company, The Electric Image Technology Group. Over the past 3 years, EITG has been modernizing this fantastic application with new and more powerful technologies. With the advent of EIAS v6.5, EITG stands ready to reclaim its position as an industry leader in the field of computer graphics.

The Electric Image Forum on CG Talk is one sign of a community ready to assist in this endeavor. Project Phoenix is an artistic competition dedicated in honor of the team at EITG that is doing such a great job revitalizing our favorite application.

-----

YOUR MISSION:

You must create a story and 3D image depicting the central theme of this competition: Rebirth & Transformation.

In ancient mythology, the Phoenix was the symbol of life, death, and resurrection. This bird, known for its power and beauty lived for over 500 years, before being consumed in its own internal fire. From out of the ashes, a new life would emerge.

Itís not necessary, during this competition, to be dependant on the traditional imagery of the Phoenix. Everything goes through little lives and little deaths everyday. Your story and image can depict any character, place or thing that is going through this process of transformation. Given the somewhat spiritual nature of this theme, your image should evoke a sense of wonder, mystery, beauty, grandness and emotional impact. Be creative. Think outside the box. Remember, from out of death comes new life.

-----

PRIZES:

The CG Talk Electric Image Forum leader has personally donated one of two prizes that can be selected between by the winner of the contest. Option one is a mint condition XXL Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones ILM Varsity Crew Jacket. Option two is a mint condition Star Wars Episode II Embroidered Book Bag/Pack that contains a couple of secret gifts. The value of both prizes is approximately the same. Once judging is complete, and the winner has provide final deliverables, the forum leader will contact the winner to obtain a shipping address where the prize will be delivered via FEDEX or UPS.

-----

JUDGES AND JUDGING CRITERIA:

The key task of this competition is to capture a moment in time depicting the central theme of this competition while utilizing the Electric Image Animation System. The rules and regulations will indicate what tools are permitted for this challenge.

Each contestant must contribute 4 stages to their entry.

Stage 1: A written treatment describing your idea.
Stage 2: Conceptual sketches and drawings.
Stage 3: Modeling (in any outside package), texturing, layout and lighting within Animator.
Stage 4: Final rendering within Camera.

This competition is to be an educational experience for all. Each contestant will enter by creating a new thread in the EIAS Techniques and WIPs Lab sub forum, located inside the Electric Image Main Forum. You must document your workflow and contribute to discussions about your technique and decisions. Emotional impact and community engagement will be the primary criteria for judging. Technical aspects will be secondary.

The thread subject line entry must read:

PROJECT PHOENIX ENTRY: (YOUR NAME)

This contest is evaluated by three judges. They are:

Brian J. Pohl is a co-owner of Persistence of Vision Digital Entertainment which specializes in creating previsualization, concept animation, and visual effects for film. Brian has worked with multiple visual effects houses to include Industrial Light and Magic, Digital Domain, and Sony Imageworks. He has worked on a number of films to include, Eragon, Open Season, Stealth, I Robot, THX1138 Special Edition, Men in Black 2, K19, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones and Behind Enemy Lines. On occasion Brian teaches at Gnomon School of VFX.

Matt Hoffman is head of product development at EITG and one of the senior staff within the company. It is through his efforts that users of EIAS obtain new technologies and programming enhancements on a consistent basis. Mattís influence is regularly seen on the EITG home forum and is a constant source of technical knowledge about the inner workings of EIAS.

Eric Hanson is a visual effects designer specializing in the creation of digital environments and effects for feature films. Having worked with leading effects houses such as Digital Domain, Sony Imageworks, Dream Quest Images, and Walt Disney Feature Animation, his work can be seen in The Day After Tomorrow, Cast Away, Hollow Man, Mission to Mars, Bicentennial Man, Atlantis, Fantasia 2000 and The Fifth Element, as well as many special-venue films. Eric is also an active instructor, leading courses on effects techniques at Gnomon School of VFX and the USC School of Cinema/TV.

-----

PRIMARY QUALIFICATIONS:

1. You must be a CG Talk forum member to participate.
2. You must create your image utilizing the Electric Image Animation System. Free, unrestricted demos are available upon request at EITG. See rules for details.
3. You must participate in the Community by critiquing otherís works.
4. Final renderings are due during the last week of the competition. Screen snapshots of WIPs during stages 2, 3 and 4 are mandatory. A template will be provided for proper image display. The template is located in the EIAS Techniques and WIPs Lab sub forum.
5. Contest winner must provide EITG with a high resolution 8"x10" 300 dpi image for marketing purposes.

-----

DELIVERABLES:

Each stage requires an entry into your personal thread by the due dates listed below. Failure to meet the due date will result in your disqualification. At least 1 image entry per stage past stage 1 is required. A horizontal and vertical layout template is available in the EIAS Techniques and WIPs Lab for download. All images must be placed into this template and all informational fields must be filled out. Failure to do so can cause disqualification. All contest enteries must be made in the EIAS Techniques and WIPs Lab sub forum.

-----

TIMELINE:

No entries accepted before 8 February 2006.

Stages 1 & 2: Due by 22 February 2006. Entries after 22 February 2006, will not be accepted for the entire competition.

Stage 3: Due by 15 March 2006

Stage 4: Due by 22 March 2006

Vizfizz
02-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Please let me know if you think we need larger work templates. We're limited to uploading file sizes of 97k or less. We might be able to get away with total size template of 1024x768. I just don't want to have you guys compress the image much in order to upload it onto CG Talk.

Let me hear from you.

yhloon
02-04-2006, 02:08 PM
currently i'm using photobucket.com and myonlineimages.com:rolleyes:

regards,
Loon

NorthernLights
02-04-2006, 03:02 PM
How about requiring the entrants to submit their project files for public access?

kevmo
02-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Hey Brian:

The rules section is closed so I'll put this here:
you may want to fix this:

08. Non-EIAS applicants may enter the competition by obtaining a free demo from EITG. Contact Phiip Martin at EITG for details.

<<<Phiip>>>spelling

Vizfizz
02-04-2006, 04:28 PM
currently i'm using photobucket.com and myonlineimages.com:rolleyes:

regards,
Loon

I have no problems with that provided you use the exisiting templates.

Vizfizz
02-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Hey Brian:

The rules section is closed so I'll put this here:
you may want to fix this:

08. Non-EIAS applicants may enter the competition by obtaining a free demo from EITG. Contact Phiip Martin at EITG for details.

<<<Phiip>>>spelling

Done..

Thanks.

Vizfizz
02-04-2006, 04:34 PM
How about requiring the entrants to submit their project files for public access?

Not a bad idea Blair, but most project files are going to exceed the maximum upload space on CGTalk. Uploads are limited to 97k each. This is why each contestant must document his creative process in his entry thread/journal with pictures and discussion.

If users wish to share their project files with others, I think it should be on a voluntary basis. I encourage everyone to consider making their project files public to anyone who asks for them or potentially offer an offsite solution for obtaining the data.

Jedt3D
02-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Yes! :thumbsup:

Very glad to here that. Voooo Hoo! :applause:

I want to invite every people to join us here. Even you use other 3D app. You'll learn how to enjoy with many good feature of EIAS. Just order a Demo copy (actually it's like free)

Vizfizz
02-04-2006, 06:15 PM
In the EIAS Techniques and WIPs Lab.

jscott
02-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Stage 3: Modeling, texturing,, and lighting within Animator.
Is this saying we have to create any models in Animator?

*Edit - Nevermind I see the rule page. Doh!

-jscott

Vizfizz
02-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Is this saying we have to create any models in Animator?

*Edit - Nevermind I see the rule page. Doh!

-jscott

Opening up the competition to any modeler helps to show just how accomodating EIAS can be with other programs.

For those without a modeler, the demo of EIAS that is available from EITG also includes a fully functioning version of Silo. Unfortunately, because NeverCenter is a seperate company, the demo for Silo will expire in 30 days. Still plenty of time to model your creation with it.

Vizfizz
02-05-2006, 06:06 AM
Just a couple of links that can get the creative juices going.

Artist: Erik Tiemens
http://www.watersketch.com/film.html

Artist: Feng Zhu
http://www.fengzhudesign.com/characters.html

Artist: Doug Chiang
http://www.dchiang.com

Artist: Ryan Church
http://www.ryanchurch.com/

Artist: Boris Vallejo
http://www.imaginistix.com/index.cfm

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2006, 06:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.