PDA

View Full Version : Arghh ZBrush

ThePriest
02-03-2006, 10:28 PM
After watching several tutorials on how to paint complex displacements in ZBrush I'm very annoyed to find that some steps are overlooked in the help palette and just skip on by and extra detail is miraculously added without explanation.

In particular there is a dinosaur script which is very easy to follow at first.

Up until a point where he makes his own alpha map deformer and applies it to the model to create depth. He applies it over and over again and the geometry just appears.

On several occasions I've escaped from the script and have tried the process of applying the alpha onto the geometry. It works, the snapshot works, but then there seems to be no way to return to the 3D mode I was using before.

Can anybody point me in a direction of an explanation for this. It's quite annoying not being able to figure out what is actually going on!

ThePriest
02-03-2006, 10:52 PM
I assumed the alpha can only be projected when using the 3D Projecter mode.
But once in the pickup mode, you can't select alpha's.

eblondin
02-03-2006, 11:27 PM
zscripts do not record going into or out of the Projection Master. that is what he is using to add the detail into the geometry with the alpha, if you hit hotkey "g" you will go into it and if you hit "g" again you will pick your model back up.

Hope that helps.

Once you pickup your model. you can select alphas from the alpha palate. but you can only use them as masks and stencils from then on. You can still use them to deform your object as well, but its not quite as intuitive as using the projection master.

ThePriest
02-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Thanks for resolving that issue.
When in projection mode, I had a different kind of brush enabled that wouldn't allow me access to the Alpha section. It takes a lot of getting used to.

Could you explain briefly how you would paint in normal mode with alpha's?
"You can still use them to deform your object as well, but its not quite as intuitive as using the projection master."

eblondin
02-04-2006, 12:38 AM
Sure...

if I am going to use an alpha to deform my object like add cracks or bumps to something outside of projection master I find the best way is to make a stencil out of the alpha. This can be done by clicking the make stencil button under the alpha palate

once you click that button your screen will sort of turn white and you are in stencil mode.
if you hold down spacebar you will see a new menu. in this menu you can move rotate and scale your alpha all over your object.

There are more options on using your new stenciled alpha under the stencil drop down.

You will usually at first have to hold down space bar and move your stencil on top of your object. Once it is on you can now just use zadd and zsub to deform your object. Make sure your mesh is dense enough to hold up the detail you are trying to stencil however other wise you won’t get good results.

ThePriest
02-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks for your time. My first try was a success, not in an artistic sense, but for trial & error purposes i've grasped the concept.

CGTalk Moderation
02-04-2006, 08:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.