PDA

View Full Version : ? messiah and mocap:help?

opera
02-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi folks,

I don't have messiah. I must find a solution to use motion capture file ( tweak, blend animation, add hand animation,etc.. ) . My boss don't want to put to much money in a solution like Motionbuilder (too expensive).

Do you think that we can invest in Messiah:animate to do the job ? ( read motion capture file from commercial library ( I don't know yet wich format ...I have to search too .. )

The cheaper solution yet is to use Poser, but I am looking for a "good" solution (more professional).

Can you give me some infos about messiah, and what's the best mocap format ?.

I have seen some posts about mocap and messiah. but don't know if it's easy to use ( ie: do you have pblm with rotations ? how do you convert bones? ..etc... do you have a link to a good tutorial ?

thanks alot.

JoeCosman
02-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Messiah will import .bvh files, the motion comes in just fine, and you can have Messiah build Nulls, bones, or both. the problem is that even though the motion looks great, the bones are flipped backward and upside down, and the heirarchy is facing the wrong way.

also, Quaternion baked bones(such as those from A:M exports) will be vewy vewy wacky.

in order to fix this, you must make an intermediate scene file that loads a bvh skeleton, attach a second, corrected skeleton to it with expressions, and bake the motion onto the new skeleton.

from there, build a library of messiah clips, and do your cleanup on those clips.

sadicus
02-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Mr Cosman,

i don't suppose you have this Mocap bone conversion on one of your tutorial Cd's...?

Tama
02-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Joe, Could you please provide a sample of an expression that does the
" attaches a second, corrected skeleton to it with expressions," routine?

Thanks!

stooch
02-04-2006, 07:56 PM
hmm, sounds like a great feature request for messiah....

twould be nice to have a function to clean up the motion curves as well

opera
02-06-2006, 11:42 PM
hi,

thanks for your answer.
I was afraid to have this king of pblm... yet I have other pblm with messiah( I am using a dual screen and a wacom tablet) and to finish some openGL pblms ...

If I resolve that I will give a try to your technic.
If not, I may try XSI fundation.

Thanks for your help.

Layer01
02-06-2006, 11:59 PM
what are your problems with the tablet?
i'll see if i can help :)

opera
02-07-2006, 01:30 PM
hi, thanks for your help Layer01.

For openGL, I updated my driver ( ATI ).

As I said: I use a dual flat screen (extended desk) and a wacom tablet (intuos9-12).

when I try to grab an icon in the OpenGL view ... the object jump .. and jump ...
When I grab it.. I have to move the pen to the right side, to recenter the object.
(I use messiah only on the first screen)

I have read a lot of posts about wacom and Messiah, but no solutions.
The only solution I found is to turn off the second screen and adjust my tablet setup to "full size" to match the screen.

if you have some tips.. :)

thanks

notlongago
11-20-2006, 08:43 PM
is this fixed in the latest version?

Messiah will import .bvh files, the motion comes in just fine, and you can have Messiah build Nulls, bones, or both. the problem is that even though the motion looks great, the bones are flipped backward and upside down, and the heirarchy is facing the wrong way.

also, Quaternion baked bones(such as those from A:M exports) will be vewy vewy wacky.

in order to fix this, you must make an intermediate scene file that loads a bvh skeleton, attach a second, corrected skeleton to it with expressions, and bake the motion onto the new skeleton.

from there, build a library of messiah clips, and do your cleanup on those clips.

TylerAZambori
05-30-2007, 03:15 PM
is this fixed in the latest version?

I'd also like to know if this has been fixed.

I've been thinking lately of getting an old program called
Life Forms Studio 4.0, but am told it is dubious and is
falling by the wayside.

A review I read said that it's a good cheap cross-platform
substitute for motionbuilder.

Problem is, there's nobody to talk to about it, and I understand
credo interactive doesn't answer any questions either. They
don;t even maintain their gallery - links to people's web sites
are now often dead. Not a good sign.

I've read on here that motion capture editing can be done in
messiah, but that it's not as elegant as motionbuilder, which
is out of my league.

I sure would like to be able to do it well in messiah. Can somebody
please write a plugin????

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2007, 03:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.