PDA

View Full Version : Sniper Crash-O-Rama

Jake-L
02-03-2006, 05:17 PM
I've just crashed C4D for about the twentieth time today using Sniper Pro to preview translucent/transparent materials. I've tried SSS, ChanLum and Translucent pro - and Cinema crashes *very* frequently - but not every time though.

Is anyone else having trouble with Sniper? Known conflicts, etc?

IanMJ
02-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Hi,

What version of Sniper, Cinema, Translucent, Chanlum etc.?

Can you post a file?

rsquires
02-03-2006, 08:21 PM
I have had weirdness with Sniper Pro and lumen on heavy weight scenes. It renders but when you try to change the set up it freezes. It actually is rendering but the viewport doesn't update until you touch it with the mouse. I have to restart as cinema becomes unusable.

I am using a mac

regards

richard

andrasn
02-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Hi, I have the same problem and decided not to use Lumen anymore because crashes a lot.
I use Sniper Pro always, it's one of the best things over there, but didn't make any test if the crash is caused by Sniper or Lumen both active. You can use other plugins to imitate the basic functions of Lumen anyway.

Jake-L
02-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks for your input guys.

I'm using the latest C4D 9.52, translucent pro, 1.5, sniper 1.01 on WinXPPro sp2.
But even in 9.1 I learned to be wary of using Sniper when tweaking materials.

Unfortunately it's not possible for me to post the file, but as far as I can tell my symptoms are quite similar to Richard's. Slow materials seem to me to have some sort of bearing to the problem (the geometry wasn't heavy). In my scene Lumen wasn't used, just regular spots.

Tank_3D_Attack
02-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Hi, I have the same problem and decided not to use Lumen anymore because crashes a lot.
I use Sniper Pro always, it's one of the best things over there, but didn't make any test if the crash is caused by Sniper or Lumen both active. You can use other plugins to imitate the basic functions of Lumen anyway.

Interesting that you decided to not use LUMEN anymore when the cause is a different plugin. I had never had a problem with LUMEN and SNIPER in combination (or hardly ever) but surely had crashes using sniper 'only' as many other users. Sniper hasn't been updated in a long time and maybe that could be an indication.

Tank

rodney71
02-06-2006, 04:31 PM
I tend to agree with Tank that Sniper may be more the culprit...at least it has seemed to be the case for me. I have found crashes quite common when using Sniper with various CPT tools or Ditools or with FR-2, sometimes just adjusting shaders (can't remember which ones). I'm also on WinXP sp2 and using R9.1. It's been inconsistent and therefore hard to pinpoint the exact cause but if I turn off Sniper, the crashes seem to go away. I imagine some updates would be in order.

unseenthings
02-06-2006, 04:37 PM
I'll just throw my hat in the bag as well and say that Sniper, while outstanding when it works, doesn't play well with others. Some plugins (Jenna comes to mind) make it crash a *lot* -- I've had some instability with Sniper and other stuff, too, but I don't remember specifics.

andrasn
02-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Interesting that you decided to not use LUMEN anymore when the cause is a different plugin. I had never had a problem with LUMEN and SNIPER in combination (or hardly ever) but surely had crashes using sniper 'only' as many other users. Sniper hasn't been updated in a long time and maybe that could be an indication.

Tank

As I don't use Jenna, FR2, nor DiTools, I really can't tell you what causes the crash with Sniper in my system. I didn't have too much time to investigate, but when I don't use Lumen everything works fine, may be it's just a coincidence, I don't blame Lumen...;)

Andras

artdude12
02-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Has anybody emailed Paul Everett on these crash issues?
Just wondering.

Jake-L
02-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Has anybody emailed Paul Everett on these crash issues?
Just wondering.

Of course, that is the intention, but the purpose of the thread was to narrow down the problem a little bit, as this one seems hard to nail down to a particular cause/combo etc.

tcastudios
02-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Yes occationaly while running SniperPro and adjusting Material, Cinema crash.
Most often when moving a knot in the color gradients, but, sometimes when SniperPro is not running and doing the same Cinema dives. It could be more of a materialupdate problem, that SP might be a -part- of the problem.
You might notice (at least I do) that by hiding the MaterialManager while running an animation, the animation goes much faster.

Cheers
Lennart

chris_b
02-07-2006, 02:22 AM
I confirm that as awesome as Sniper is... sometimes I just go do viewport previews in order to avoid unpredictability. I think it is time to integrate a feature like this in the Core... see XSI's render-region for a good example. We already have a render-region, we just need it to stay onscreen and update (preferably with a quality slider).

CGTalk Moderation
02-07-2006, 02:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.