PDA

View Full Version : Handwriting

sjcrompo
02-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi All

I Have looked at various tuts as to how to create handwriting ie the illusion of the text being handwritten. Some of the tuts say to bring in your splines from illustrator. My question is can anyone tell me how to get a single line instead of an outline from any given font to be my path, in other words it would be the centre line of the font for me to use stroke on.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

tufif
02-03-2006, 06:05 PM
I just used vector paint and wrote my signiture with a mouse. It was pretty easy. You can see the results at the end of a couple of animations that I did like this one: That Darn Robot (http://www.kevinhammer.com/animation/tdr.php)

sjcrompo
02-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Hey never mind the signature, that is a great piece of work:thumbsup:

The only problem I have found trying to do it with the mouse is that I can't seem to get it looking perfect enough.

There has to be a way.

Steve

tufif
02-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks!

To make it smoother, you could always use a tablet if you have one. All I have is a mouse, so it took me quite a few tries to get something resembling my signature. Blur helps too! ;)

Ian Jones
02-04-2006, 01:59 AM
Check out the 'write-on' effect in the AFX help.

sjcrompo
02-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks

I have had a look at the write on effect and indeed had a play with it, but I can not work out how to make individual letters look as if they are hand written.

Any pointers?

Steve

dbates
02-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Huh? I used the write-on effect with the paint brush just last night, and it looked fine. Maybe a little too hand-written. . .

sjcrompo
02-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Hi

Care to share how you did it.;)

Steve

nateomedia
02-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Hi

Steve

This link was mentioned in another thread, but I think it will show you exactly what you need to know. The tutorial is how to make things "grow" on screen, but the technique is based around the write-on effect and should provide you with a pretty clear understanding of how to use it to make your signature:

Making Elements Grow (http://www.creativecow.net/articles/hansen_jaysen/growing/)

sjcrompo
02-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the link.

Hopefully I will work this thing out:) I come from mainly a 3d background where we use animated sweeps to create these effects.

Thanks again:thumbsup:

Steve

dbates
02-06-2006, 09:38 PM

The paint brush tool has an option for "write on". Select that, and when you're in layer view mode you can write on the layer and AE will record the stroke over time.

I actually just learned about this technique the other day! Now I really want a tablet. . .

--dbates

sjcrompo
02-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks for that:thumbsup: See what you mean about a tablet though. I am going to take a look at Jayce's tut.

Steve

mdurwin
02-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Has anyone used a mask to write? Take the writing, use the pen too to draw line right over it on a black layer set to ADD. Match the curves and points of th writing with the pen tool. You're basically creating a mask out of a line. Then add stroke to it and adjust the parameters so that the stroke grows. You can either just use that mask as the writing or set it at Stencil Luma to reveal the writing beneath. I mention this because you can use it to draw in sketches or reveal all sorts of things.
I've used it to draw in text and sketches in the following animation. It goes a little fast but in that first equation, every single number and line was drawn in they don't just pop in. It just moves to fast to see. It's a very effective process.
http://www.eyeanimate.com/gmc

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 10:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.