PDA

View Full Version : Voting Q

Rogue
12-09-2002, 03:43 PM
Ok, this is the first time I've voted on a CGTalk challenge because this is the first animation challenge. ;)

So, I'm guessing, after some trial and error (error meaning one of the votes was not intentional), that we can vote on as many entries as we like and rate them to how well we feel it the animation was done.

I just want to be sure I'm voting correctly.

Thanks

Milho
12-09-2002, 04:07 PM
I have also a question, well it's a rhetorical question in deed.
Is it a point of honor not to vote your own stuff or not?
:shrug:

I would prefer it if it would not be technically possible (by php) but probably you think different?!?

Nahaz
12-09-2002, 09:14 PM
Will the final score be based on the average of all votes an entry has received?

Also i think the order in which the entrees appear should be randomised with each page refresh. The scores and amount of votes entered should be hidden from those who did not enter.

Milho
12-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Nahaz
Also i think the order in which the entrees appear should be randomised with each page refresh. The scores and amount of votes entered should be hidden from those who did not enter.

That's a very good idea. This way the people won't be influenced by the given votes. When they voted every piece the votes can be showned. This way people have to watch and vote every piece which would be fair, especially for the submissions which are at the end (also when the order is randomized).

Oh and another suggestion for improvement: Would be nice if the vote button was at the bottom and took all votes into account so you can make all votes at one step. It is laborious to make a vote wait for the forwarding and vote again.

And don't forget: This are just suggestions. I appreciate your work. The present voting is much better than voting with posts. :thumbsup:

Stephen Vyas
12-10-2002, 10:46 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought that the voting wasn't key to winning the challenge. I assumed that the council, would be making the decisions themselves based on a certain criteria.
However, I'm quite new to these challenges so I'm kinda confused...
It was fun tho eh?

Cheers:beer:
from a Canadian Animator

Milho
12-10-2002, 11:52 PM
Yes. Your probably right :blush:

Eventhough the suggestions are just very technical.

The best on the voting is that you can see how good you are not by comparsion with the others but by seeing if the people like your stuff.
That might be the reson for the score system insted of a "normal" average rating.

i think it's not a question of winning but a question of resonance.

Cheers :beer:

Nahaz
12-11-2002, 03:15 AM
Animation A gets:
1+2+1+3+1+2+1+2+1+3+2+1 = 20
20/12 = 1.6

Animation B gets:
5+4+3+4+4 = 20
20/5 = 4

-----

In the example above both animations have the same score, but who has the better animation? See the problem?

Milho
12-11-2002, 08:12 AM
Yes that's a problem. But like I said in the previous post this could be solved by forcing the viewer to vote for every animation.
Now when you don't vote it is the same like giving him a 0 score.
You could do this by saving the vote directly but taking it into acount when you voted everyone. So you don't have to do it during one visit. This would easily work if the votes were hidden till the end (like Nahaz said above).

Of course voting would get hard when there would be 50 entries but it's just fair. Everyone should have the same chance to know what people think.

Ok the system might sound a bit complicated now but we all try to improve it ;)

And I agree with Nahaz, that the current system is not democratic :rolleyes:

Milho
12-11-2002, 01:37 PM
I have a general question and an idea, but i don't want to make a new thread.

How long will the voting be going or more important when will be the new challenge released?

And my suggestion: A big guideline of the challenge is to shorten all elements to animation as we can see from the rules. You don't want to make the characters look the same but wouldn't it be interresting to give all participants the same model. I mean not every challenge but in a single one. I would like to see how the puppetmasters give the same puppet a different personality (in best case ;) )

What do you think?

Stephen Vyas
12-11-2002, 03:24 PM
Milho: I believe the voting will continue till the weekend, as a few friends on #cgtalk have said. The new challenge won't start till next January, I don't have any exact dates on that. However, the reason for this is to give everyone some time off to enjoy the holidays with their families.

As for the same model idea.. It's interesting, but whomever is making the models would have to have access to all programs being used in the challenge, plus it's a heck of a lot of added work to the mods. I just don't see it happening , but you never know.

Cheers:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.