PDA

View Full Version : Retargetting anim with controllers

Gabester
02-03-2006, 07:30 AM
Hi guys,

I have a pretty basic setup. Well... standard setup.

I have FK, IK, and controllers driving the IK.

Now I'm really at a loss to how I retarget one skeletons anims to another.

I'm making a horse move for example, and I'm trying to retarget the animation from a large horse, to a smaller horse.

Im using clips and the character mapper in Trax. It does work, but The controllers on the larger horse move a lot higher in proportion to the smaller horse, because esentially they move the same distances irrelevant of the size of the mesh and the bones.

Is there a way around this problem, besides going into the keys and tweaking the animation? Or is there another way of doing this? Some of you must have come across this problem, how did you deal with it?

Thanks in advance.

el diablo
02-03-2006, 08:14 AM
multiply the animation curve by the deviation in bone length.....

M.E.L.
02-03-2006, 07:37 PM
point constrain using maintain offset for your ik controls

aim constrain your fk joints.

voila, animation follows and flows working with different scales :)

-s

Gabester
02-05-2006, 11:06 PM
point constrain using maintain offset for your ik controls

aim constrain your fk joints.

voila, animation follows and flows working with different scales :)

-s

Sorry, what am I pointconstraining my ik controls to? On which character? On the one i'm about to re-target? And how will that copy the animation over? Won't that stuff up the hierarchy of controllers and joints? I don't quite understand can you be a little more thorough please?

M.E.L.
02-06-2006, 07:25 PM
New skeleton gets constrained to the skeleton with animation.

so the skeleton WITHOUT animation is being constrained to the skeleton WITH.

once the constraints are set all you're doing is either baking off the animation data or keying your poses based off your original animation.

-s

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2006, 07:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.