PDA

View Full Version : Question W x64

tito8008
02-03-2006, 05:09 AM
i have just recently upgraded my pc system and i am very unfamilliar with the latest technology. I had used the good old athlon xp for quite some times. While reading a tread, they mentioned something about win x64.
My current proc is a x2 4400 and I am currently using the WindowXPhome edition.
Do i need to upgrade my window? dont really want to put $ in it.
Or is wx64 is not what I think it is.

Thx for the help

DaForce
02-03-2006, 06:39 AM
Dont bother... not much point ATM.

Only advantage is its able to allocate up to 4gb of memory per process where as XP is only able to allocate 2gb (or 3gb with the 3gb switch)

Other than that, there might be some compatibiility issues with xp64 and alot of software doesnt run properly/at all on it yet.

lots
02-03-2006, 01:27 PM

Only advantage is its able to allocate up to 4gb of memory per process where as XP is only able to allocate 2gb (or 3gb with the 3gb switch)

Other than that, there might be some compatibiility issues with xp64 and alot of software doesnt run properly/at all on it yet.

You forgot to mention that you get 4GB per 32bit process. A 64bit native program is able to address the full range of memory available in X64. That is up to 128GB of physical and up to 16TB of virtual memory. Also, every single program I use works just fine on X64. This includes PS, LW (32bit and 64bit), XSI (though I havnt used it extensivly), Modo, BF2, SimCity 4, WoW, Warcraft III, etc. Honestly, the list of incompatable software is rather short, and getting shorter all the time. It mostly includes programs with 16bit installers. XP 64bit does not support 16bit code at all. I personally have not come across software that I cannot use in 64bit Windows. There are a few bits of hardware that have driver issues, but this is mainly the fault of the manufacturer for not providing it.

MadMax
02-03-2006, 05:57 PM
This is largely incorrect.

there are a lot of reasons to upgrade.

Better stability being one of them.

It is very RARE instances where software is not compatible, and it is almost 100% games. And before someone posts the link for a site that purports to give a list of software that works/doesn't work on XP64, that list is full of mistakes.

I'm running several apps they claim do not even load.

Your biggest issue will be on extrernal hardware such as scanners, printers, tablets etc. Epson has scanners and printers covered with 64 bit drivers, Wacom has 64 bit drivers for Intuos, but not Grapphire.

Canon even has a couple now, after initially referring to x64 as an insignificant niche product.

But for the most part, x64 is pretty safe to go with.

tito8008
02-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Thx for the replies :)

DaForce
02-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Sorry guys, not sure why i posted that crap... lol
Was half asleep...

Thanks for clean it up

RPG2006
02-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Madmax,

What are the mistakes on that list? I'm guessing you are referring to a thread I've posted before (am I the someone you are referring to?). I can tell you from my own experience that GTR real racing doesn't work in X64, which I was lead to believe was due to starforce drivers. Haven't tried installing any games on my X64 since then, so can't say any more than that.

Personally I have both x32 and X64, and am well happy with it. :)

RPG

MadMax
02-04-2006, 12:46 AM
Madmax,

What are the mistakes on that list? I'm guessing you are referring to a thread I've posted before (am I the someone you are referring to?).

No idea who it was who posted it, but a lot of the apps listed are wrong. I won't say about any games, and I am sure those probably are accurate.

However things like the Nikon Capture/Nikon Photo software do install and do work just fine. ZBrush also comes to mind as well.

There were a couple of others I noticed when I first looked at this list, don't recall what they were now.

I sent them a message, but got no response and no updates to their data ever appeared so I'd say it's largely not a good source to rely on.

lots
02-04-2006, 06:13 AM
My guess would be that it was a fairly early list that never got double checked or updated.. or both :P

MadMax
02-04-2006, 01:37 PM
My guess would be that it was a fairly early list that never got double checked or updated.. or both :P

yeah, most likely. A shame too since it could be a really useful list for new converts to x64.

One thing a lot of people likely are NOT aware of is that if an app has trouble loading under x64, that they can try switching to compatibility mode and load the program. For example, Nikon Capture and it's associated programs will not load straight under XP64, but if I turn on compatibility mode, it installs and runs perfectly. Best I can tell, it works 100%. Of course I don't need Nikon Capture anymore since the latest RAW upgrade for Photoshop includes support for the Nikon D200 now. Gotta love white balance control after a picture is shot :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-04-2006, 01:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.