PDA

View Full Version : Exhibition - Michelangelo Drawings - Closer to the Master

reflectedfight
02-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Just for information - anyone interested should try and go and see....

Michelangelo Drawing exhibition at the British Museum in London

Theres a book already out on it - had a look in borders and promises to have a very good selection of work on display....

heres a link

opens 23rd march

http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/michelangelo/

Rebeccak
02-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Gavin,

Thanks for posting this! Why must all the great exhibits be in Europe??! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Hope you get the chance to give us a report on this...*contemplates hopping the pond* :rolleyes:

Cheers, ;)

~Rebeccak

Elsie
02-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Whee that sounds great, I'll probably be in London at some point while that is on!

*contemplates hopping the pond* :rolleyes:

Cooooommme Becca, you know you want to *waves chocolate bar enticingly*

Rebeccak
02-02-2006, 11:01 PM
*cries silently in corner* :scream:

mark-jenkins
02-03-2006, 08:20 AM
I worked on the exhibition graphics for this exhibition. I am trying to wangle some free tickets, fingers crossed!!

reflectedfight
02-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Heh. Rebecca cheer up - you've got some kick ass stuff over there in the states - and dont complain - there was a rubens drawing exhibition on a while back at the met was it not?! But it is a shame seeing as rubens and michelangelo are two of your favs - at the very least you could buy the book?? There was only a room of rubens drawings in london - studies of Laocoon (sp) - and some copies rubens did of michelangelo. I looked at those drawings for ages - really stunning. I cant understand how anybody cant be bowled over by those drawings.

I dunno if i'll have the time/money for this one - i'll have to see.... i'll let you know what its like if i do go.....

Im sure it wouldent be too expensive if you booked your flight much in advance rebecca? heh.

Velazquez is on later this year also..... october!

Rebeccak
02-03-2006, 11:25 AM
MarcoJ,

Sweet! I hope you do get free tickets! :thumbsup:

Gavin,

Lol, thanks, I will definitely be buying the book...good books with Drawings are hard to find, and Michelangelo left precious few for us to ogle over.

Hope you'll be able to make it! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

reflectedfight
02-03-2006, 01:57 PM
rebecca - just in case - and for anyone else

i think this is the book that the british museum are selling

http://www.britishmuseum.co.uk/Product.aspx?ID=1036

there is also a book on michelangelo and raphael drawings by the curator of the ashmolean museum in oxford - it looks not bad and is only around ten pounds.

Rebeccak
02-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Gavin,

Awesome, thanks! Did you want to post this in the Books thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=257424) as well?

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

reflectedfight
02-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Will do rebecca - i totally forgot.

Im going to drop a lot of books in the books thread soon - once i've read enough that is. heh.

cheers

gavin

yann22
04-13-2006, 10:45 AM
If anyone wants to go, be sure to book ahead online. They have timed entry, which is a good thing actually. But when I went there spontaneously, I would have had to wait for 2 1/2 hours to get in, so I just got the book, which is pretty nice though.

Rebeccak
04-14-2006, 02:39 AM
RabbitRun,

Glad to hear you enjoyed the exhibit! :)

If anyone is interested, there is an entertaining fictional biography about Michelangelo that is pretty well~known:

The Agony and the Ecstasy : A Biographical Novel of Michelangelo (Paperback)
by Irving Stone (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0451171357/103-5894134-8655801?v=glance&n=283155)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Jack Shannon
04-14-2006, 02:43 AM
Hi guys, just to let you know, I went to this a couple of days ago and it was amazing, I got the book you mentioned. I don't have time to write a review right now, but I probably will tommorrow.

I would recommend it to all of you.

Cheers,
Jack

Rebeccak
04-14-2006, 02:57 AM
Looking forward to seeing your review, Jack! :)

In somewhat related news, it looks like I'll finally be going to see the Body Worlds exhibition next week.

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

umbrellasky
04-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Ohh I really want to see this!! I will have to speak to my art teacher see if we can organise a trip, if not I will see if I can pursuade my friends to come.

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2006, 08:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.