PDA

View Full Version : Xpresso applying random texture to random objects

nataz
02-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Hello,

i have some hard times with one of my xpresso:

i've got a scene with more than 250 objects in, i have as well 8 different texture to apply randomly (once and for all) to the objects (one texture per object).

So here is my setup:

http://www.clarac.net/nataz/Image4.png
Each input is for each material

my point is, i can't apply this set up only to one object, if i copy it to all of my object there's two problems:

first the texture node refers to the wrong tag.
second the noise settings being the sames troughout the xpresso tags there's chance i'll get the same output for each object.

Any idea?
thanks in advance for your help

Darter
02-03-2006, 07:26 AM
Texture nodes are locked to 'Absolute' Reference Mode, so each copy of the expression is referring to the original tag. You need to use a Hierarchy node to iterate through the objects and a Tag node to output the texture tag for each object. Hooking this into the Texture node will give the correct reference for each tag.

Using an Object Index node enables the index of each object to set the seed value for the Noise node, causing materials to be randomly allocated.

Srek
02-03-2006, 07:40 AM
Hi,
try this http://www.bonkers.de/download/randommaterial.c4d

Cheers
Björn

nataz
02-03-2006, 05:41 PM
here's for both of you:

THANK YOU!
I deserve to buy you both a BIG drink :beer:

It's pretty strange that there is no maxon's provided documentation as helpfull as you are ;)

btw, Björn, you should put this kind of file in expresso anonymous, just because it showed me more about xpresso behaviour in one example than the whole official doc i've been through since 3 days. I'd be glad to help (hosting, database tweaking, whatever...).

Thanks again folks, i'll get back to you as soon as the project is finished to show you the result.

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2006, 05:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.