PDA

View Full Version : Alignment of Spherical HDRI map w/ scene

Billibong
02-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Hi all,

I've been experimenting with HDRI in my skylight (using Brazil) and have been getting good results...Howerver, I realised my actual HDRI map (I created of the space) in not correctly aligned with my geometry. So my question is what is the easiest way to make sure it's aligned with my geometry? I'm using spherical envirnment mapping in 3ds Viz.

I read some older threads written by Zeboxx and Skoda saying it's important to align the map, but they didn't explain how.

Thanks,
Billibong

gregsandor
02-06-2006, 05:33 PM
I made a map I call Compass to help with this -- its a map of the environment with letters of the cardinal directions -- N E S W -- on it. While you're setting up use the compass map to get your bearings, then replace it with the real map.

Billibong
02-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Hi,

That sounds like a good way to go! I've read different ways of doing this on the web. Do you assign a material from the MEditor to a Brazil skylight then rotate the mapping UVW's or make a sphere and map to it? The sphere method that Zeboxx mentions makes it easy to map additional light ontop of the bright spots, but I wasn't really sure how large the sphere should be.

Thanks,
Billibong

gregsandor
02-06-2006, 06:31 PM
I map both to a sphere sized to encompass (pun intended) the scene so I can see it as a background (to orient the scene) and the material, then line them up.

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2006, 06:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.