PDA

View Full Version : Textured displacement visible in viewport

borisgoreta2000
02-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Is it possilble to actually see textured displacement on object in viewport ? I can see displacement when i render but nothing in the viewport. I know it pre/generates lots of polys during render time but could messiah deform this lowpoly mesh I am working on in viewport ?

Layer01
02-02-2006, 12:58 PM
why would you want that?
it would run like a snail, if it could run at all.

the answer is no, i am not aware of any application that can display real time Displacment maps.

borisgoreta2000
02-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Well Lightwave displays it when you import ZBrush tempered object with normal displacement or when you apply any kind of textured deformation.

I would like to use displacement feature for character animation. For instance, a texturedeformer deformation on a surface driven by bone. I know this can be done with Bulge but this gives a lot more options. How about having a B&W texture of the character spine attached to underlying bone. When moving the bone the skin would move over those spine bumps giving the illusion of real hard structure under the skin.

sadicus
02-02-2006, 04:11 PM
You are asking WAY too much. from any application. we should all go back to using rocks to draw with. LOL

Maya uses realtime Normalmap and bump previews, and i think XSI does too.

Who knows with messiah? it could be a feature...but i'm sure it won't work.
...or maybe you could plug a primitive cube into the auto rigg... hmmm.

JoeCosman
02-02-2006, 04:24 PM
while there is no way to displace metanurbs in Messiah, you can control a high rez mesh with a low one with the MetaMation effect. the downside to metamation, is lightwave is the only modeler that outputs metaform subdivided objects (I'd like messiah to do that, instead)

with that said, once you get your high rez mesh in messiah, you cant displace the points through a UV map. the images have to be projections from procedurals linked to Xform or Bulge.

procedurals are a weight tool, and can load images as a weight map.

so if you needed a spine to show up, you would add a cylindrical procedural with your spine displacement map, and whenever the mesh got close to the cylinder, it would bulge up.(from the bulge effect you added to the mesh)

make sense?

borisgoreta2000
02-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks a bunch Joe ! Your tip opened a whole new perspective on messiah. It was straightforward for me to do textured deformations in LW, just press T button under object options and thats it. In messiah it is a bit different but is more flexible and usable for CA. Just the thing I needed.

Lino Grandi
02-04-2006, 09:25 AM
why would you want that?
it would run like a snail, if it could run at all.

the answer is no, i am not aware of any application that can display real time Displacment maps.

Lightwave can. I think is actually the only one application able to do that.

crossbones
02-04-2006, 09:44 PM
I am sure it would just take time for them to develop it, but its needed because we need to see stuff in order to animate it correctly. Lightwave doesn't do the same kind of displacement that Messiah does, nore nearly as accurate.

CGTalk Moderation
02-04-2006, 09:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.