PDA

View Full Version : Lifting Rig

ussmc
02-02-2006, 06:30 AM
I’m animating a Character lifting an object.

I did a ‘Point-Constraint’ from one hand to the other so they both move together.

But when I Rotate the hand that controls the ‘Point-Constraint’ the other hand ends up in a wrong position because of the influence of the Rotation.

Can anybody help me with this annoying problem?

(I did a ‘Point, Orient constraint from hand to object for the lift.)

Cycone
02-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Try using a Parent Constraint, i belive they have some decent information about it in the Maya Help file ;) .

Cheers Koen

ussmc
02-15-2006, 01:57 AM
Thanks for responding, but it doesn't have any decent information about it in the help file.

How would you (or anyone) do a lifting rig?
Please help.

kevinstiles
02-22-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm working on something similar and I've had a little success. First make a locator for where each hand touches the object, and parent them to the object. Then group the object and the locators and move the pivot to the point where one hand meets the object. Then group it again and move the pivot of this new group to where the other hand meets the object. Then parent constrain each locator to its respective hand control. Supposably you can key the parent constraint on and off. This is all the more help I can give you. It should get you started. If you come upon anything else useful please let me know I have a thread titled help w/ 2 handed carry.

ussmc
02-24-2006, 03:46 AM
Thanks for your rig.

I can give you a maya file that has the perfect two hands lift rig. I gave up figering out the rig, it's way, way beyond my knowledge.

If you want the file just reply, then I'll attach it.

kevinstiles
02-24-2006, 11:23 PM
if you want to send it to kevindstiles@yahoo.com that'd be cool.

coolguy
02-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi capricorn2,
Could you please post the rig on the site since Iam trying out a lift crane.

Thanks in advance.

ArePare
02-26-2006, 09:38 AM
I like to parent constrain the objekt to one of the arms and use FK on that arm to move the objekt and then let the other arm follow with IK.

ussmc
02-27-2006, 02:50 AM
cool guy: lifting_rig.mb is attached.
if you figured out the rig please let me know how its done.

ArePare: When you move the object with the FK arm, Does the other arm with an IK moves with it? Or do you animate the IK arm manually?

kevinstiles
03-08-2006, 02:43 AM
It seems to have something to do with grouping and nesting groups. Case in point. If you have your character's feet set up right notice how they stay in one place while the body moves around? I am in thr process of determining how this can be applied to the hand and wrist. I'll let all of you know if I get it to work

kruugs
11-30-2006, 01:36 AM
Just wondering if anyone can help me with my problem of moving a object with both hands?

I had started a new thread for it, because it a little different of a situation:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4039027#post4039027

Thank you!!!

CGTalk Moderation
11-30-2006, 01:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.