PDA

View Full Version : The EIAS Forum Leader's Mini 3D Challenge

Vizfizz
02-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Welcome to the Electric Image Forum and Project Phoenix. About three weeks ago, I set out to create a new Electric Image community here on CG Talk. Throughout my posts I’ve listed my reasons why I feel the Electric Image Animation System is such a great piece of software. It’s powerful, possesses a rich lineage, has ushered in hundreds of individuals into the professional 3D animation and visualization markets, and unquestionably produces some of the most beautiful 3D renderings I’ve ever seen. But alas, this undeniably great and extremely popular piece of software has gone through some rough times in its history. Usage decreased, buyouts were made, and progress stagnated. Some people wondered if this program was headed for the electronic graveyard.

Those times are gone.

Today the Electric Image Technology Group has reformed and has been steadily modernizing this fantastic application with a number of new technologies. The improvements are rather impressive; so impressive that I want to personally challenge you to give the program a try. Henceforth, I’ve created this EIAS specific mini challenge called “Project Phoenix”. (Details forthcoming – Wednesday, 8 February 2006)

I’ve been asked, “Why am I doing this?” I’m not really certain. EIAS isn't the only software package I use. Maybe its because I'm rather fond of rooting for the underdog. I’m not sure. But I do know that I am not receiving anything from EITG. (In case you were wondering) The only way I benefit is to hopefully see one of the programs I enjoy using thrive.

CG Talk has a profound history of offering tremendous CG challenges and competitions with an array of fantastic prizes donated by the various sponsors of the CG Society. I originally petitioned for an exclusive EIAS user competition and there were a number of EIAS vendors who were willing to contribute to the cause. However, the CG Society president wisely informed me that despite the cool idea, offering an exclusive, community specific challenge with non Society sponsors posed certain difficulties to an organization that attempts to appeal to all users of the cg community and it posed a conflict of interests with its official Society member sponsors. If a CG Society endorsed independent challenge is offered to the EIAS community, similar contests must be offered to all communities and that could become a logistical nightmare for CG Talk. I agreed. We did however find a little compromise. An informal, personal, application specific competition could exist and offer a prize if “I”, a CG Society member, were willing to be the sole sponsor. As I mentioned, the only benefit I receive is hopefully seeing the program I enjoy using thrive.

So with that, I decided it was worth the effort and I do have a prize to give away. One that is very special to me. For those who have not heard my story, I’m just an average guy from the Midwestern United States with the dream of working in Hollywood. I wanted to make animated movies and visual effects, but not only that, I wanted to work for George Lucas on a Star Wars film. What were the odds? I have no earthly idea, but some how, whether it was determination, talent or shear luck, I was given my chance. One thing I do know is that EIAS contributed to that chance. So the prize I intend to offer to the winner of this challenge is my mint condition ILM Episode II: Attack of the Clones, VFX crew, leather varsity jacket. (Original value $250. Potential e-bay value? Hmmm, who knows. Though I hope you wouldn't turn around and sell it.) I'm a rather tall guy so the jacket is an XXL. But that's ok. You'll be able to wear it over a sweater! I wore this jacket only once to the film’s premiere and it represents in my mind what someone can do if they put their mind to the task. Whether you liked the movie or not, it means a lot to me and that’s what I want to share with the CG and EIAS communities as a whole. Its more about what the jacket represents than the jacket itself.

Now for those of you non-EIAS users who are saying, “What about us?” Well, I want to open up the competition to you too. All you have to do to qualify for the event is create your 3D image with EIAS. “But I don’t own the program!” you say. No problem. EITG offers the ability to obtain a complete, fully functioning demo of EIAS with NO RESTRICTIONS, free of charge.

http://www.eitechnologygroup.com/store/eias_demo.html

Instead of using the online order form, contact Philip Martin at EITG (phil@eitechnologygroup.com) directly and tell him that you want to try the software out. This way he can extend the 30 day time limit of the demo to the length of the competition. (Which will be 45 days) Then participate in the upcoming competition. If my judging panel finds your image the winner, I’ll send the jacket to you. Maybe, just maybe, you’ll like EIAS so much you’ll want to purchase the program. (One caveat. If you do not decide to purchase a seat of EIAS after the competition, the hardware dongle supplied with the demo must be returned to EITG to avoid a potential licensing fee. See Philip for details.)

It’s a potential win-win situation for you! Besides, the EIAS community could use a little challenge from those of you outside our community. Gives them something to work towards. :thumbsup:

So stay tuned.

If you're not a member of the CG Talk forum, what are you waiting for? Sign up today!

ALL THE DETAILS, RULES, AND DESCRIPTIONS OF THE MINI CHALLENGE WILL BE POSTED ON 4-5 February 2006 AND THE CONTEST WILL BEGIN ON 8 FEBRUARY, 2006.

tjs61822
02-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Brian, what a great idea! Anxiously awaiting the rules. (XXL is my size too)

Tim

halfworld
02-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Damn, i'm a medium... but it's okay... i have scissors...

Vizfizz
02-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Gasp! Blasphemy! Surely there's a large framed, 6 foot or taller friend of yours you could win the jacket for?

halfworld
02-02-2006, 07:07 PM
"For the man who has everything — a jacket with a guest room."

I have no doubt that it's very well made, they should just have stopped making it half way through... ;)

Wait, im 6"2... maybe all is not lost!

Vizfizz
02-02-2006, 07:11 PM
LoL...

6'2"..should be a good fit in the shoulders and sleeves. I'm reasonably height/weight perportioned and I swim a little in it myself, but when it gets cold, it would fit comfortably over a sweater..and this jacket is toasty warm. Thinsulate lining. Not so practical for southern California, the land of perpetual sunshine. You on the other hand....do you know what the sun looks like?

halfworld
02-02-2006, 07:19 PM
The what looks like?

worx3d
02-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Thanks for doing this. I'm XL so I guess it's good with a sweater. The bad thing is that living in Mexico... there are few days in the year to wear anything more than a shirt.. lol..

cheers

Joel

yhloon
02-03-2006, 01:15 AM
i'm 5' 4" asia midium, my cousin bought me a S size T-shirt from England last year, which fits me well... :cry:

Loon

jscott
02-03-2006, 01:26 AM
Uh oh...sounds pretty darn cool... I might be in on this one.

peace,

-jscott

Vizfizz
02-03-2006, 03:36 AM
Let it be know throughout the land that this forum moderator is not insenstive to the needs of the vertically challenged! :scream:

Yhloon's comments struck a chord with me. Why would anyone wish to compete in this competition if the potential prize they could win didn't fit? Unfortunately, I don't have 4 different sizes of the same jacket, however, what I can do is offer an alternate prize.

So, as of today, contestants who enter the contest now have the option to choose either the AOTC Varsity Jacket or an Episode II collector's book bag. This item was also a gift from the big man himself after we completed the previsualization phase on Episode II. It is completely unused and is in perfect condition. Inside the book bag will be an extra gift, if you want to know what it is, you'll just have to choose wont you. :)

So for those of you who could use the XXL jacket as your second home, now you can choose something a little more practical for yourself. :thumbsup:

Remember the winner of this contest can only choose one of the two potential prizes.

Varsity Jacket ...... OR ....... Collector's EP II Book Bag (w/secret gift) but NOT BOTH!

You may now contemplate your fate.

yhloon
02-03-2006, 04:18 AM
Brian, you are so kind to us :thumbsup:, I hope I'm not causing you any troble in my previous post...

I need to clarify that I do want to join the contest even though the jacket didn't fit (actually I will join even no prize given:scream:, my brother is 5' 7" XL i think he should fit the jacket better than me, but with the optional EP II book bag, that will be different story...hehe, IF i win the contest:scream: lol

regards
Loon

Vizfizz
02-03-2006, 04:22 AM
Brian, you are so kind to us :thumbsup:, I hope I'm not causing you any troble in my previous post...

I need to clarify that I do want to join the contest even though the jacket didn't fit (actually I will join even no prize given:scream:), my brother is 5' 7" XL i think he should fit the jacket better than me, but with the optional EP II book bag, that will be different story...hehe, IF i win the contest:scream: lol

Loon

Absolutely no trouble at all. As they say guys, you can't take it with you. (No I'm not dying...lol) These items, when they were given to me gave me great joy and satisfaction. I felt like I truly accomplished something special. I've been blessed a thousand fold since then. Since they're in perfect condition, why shouldn't someone else enjoy them? May they inspire you to create greatness!!

vislaw
02-03-2006, 08:35 PM
You rock. What a fabulous prize. Although I am myself short in stature and would be swimming in that jacket, I've always found that giving a truly special gift is many times more gratifying than receiving one. If I would win it I have a very dear friend who would be completely blown away to have this.

I cannot wait to see the rules.

Mark

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2006, 08:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.