PDA

View Full Version : creating black burning holes?

perhaps
02-01-2006, 06:17 PM
i'm trying to create an effect like this which i mocked up in photoshop..

http://shortcurves.com/josh/burny.jpg

where a few little black holes should quickly blow up in size and "eat" away until the whole image goes black. so far, i have no idea how to achieve this certain look. what should i be doing?

scrimski
02-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Try playing around with histogram levels and curves(adjust image filters)

perhaps
02-01-2006, 07:48 PM
huh? no i'm stumped as to how to animate this effect - ie, morphing "clouds" or particles?.. but i have no clue how to achieve this ballooning eat-away animation.

Eismann
02-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Actually it is all about histogram/contrast/luma stuff.

You take the picture you want to have eaten away.
You take a black background.
Paint a mask that gives you a gradient form of the animation (i.e. the "holes" as white splotches). Now as you key with the mask, you can adjust how far it eats into the gradient by animating the luma factor.. et voila, there it is. Requires a bit of practise though to get decent results.. And it also helps to add a little fractal stuff in, for the small wrinkles.

Greetings,
Eismann

Mylenium
02-01-2006, 08:55 PM
huh? no i'm stumped as to how to animate this effect - ie, morphing "clouds" or particles?.. but i have no clue how to achieve this ballooning eat-away animation.

Effect -> Noise -> Fractal Noise
Effect -> Adjust -> Levels

Mylenium

perhaps
02-01-2006, 09:27 PM
ok i'm getting some good results wiith the fractal noise - but is there any way to adjust the levels on the fractal noise effect itself? it only seems to affect my background image, which i want to leave alone. how can i apply a levels/curves adjustment (or any kind of other effect like a blur) to ANOTHER effect, like the fractal noise?

scrimski
02-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Precompose you layer with fractal noise, add a levels/curves adjustment and maybe precompose again.

terencemace
02-02-2006, 05:55 PM
If you have AE 6.5 or 7, there is a CC bundled plugin called Burning Neg that creates this effect.

(maybe this is only in 7.0)

T

CGTalk Moderation
02-02-2006, 05:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.