PDA

View Full Version : Got cloth - cloth simulation tutorial review

Layer01
02-01-2006, 03:41 AM
most of you will know that Wegg has just released a new tutorial video on cloth simulation.
some of you may be wondering wether or not to get it. this review will hopefully help you make up your mind :)

Messiah Cloth Simulation Tutorial
by Wegg
AKA William Egginton
Price: $29

This video is 43 minutes and covers setting up cloth on characters and stopping the cloth from clipping through the character's mesh. It also covers the building of the dress in wings3d (free), touching up of the leg mesh in wings, and briefly shows how to use the cloth with point oven (works with lite which is free).
The tutorial is spoken in clear esay to understand english and is at a good video resolution.
The content is delivered in a fun and layed back way, and at times can be downright funny. Wegg explains why he is doing everything and what every setting he is using does, he also tells you what could go wrong and what to look out for when working with cloth.

Also included in the package are the scene files needed to complete the tutorial, there was a slight mishap in the original version of the content and the scene file not the project file was included, this has been fixed.

the sound is a little choppy right at the start and at the end of the video, and the video seems to fuzz slightly in these places too..this is most likly a codec issue.
Wegg ran into significant problems while making the tutorial and had a tough time lining up the audio to the video, which slips slightly in the middle of the tutorial, then catches up later on. But it is no show stopper and does not stop you from understanding what is going on. these sorts of things are normal when working out the creases in a video pipeline, and Wegg chose to upload this first video so you could all see it sooner rather than re do it and possibly set it back for weeks. As it is, it stands very solid, and future tutorial videos will likely no longer have this problem.

Overall this is a great tutorial if you are at all interested in how to get succesfull cloth in Messiah, and comes highly recomended.

Sound Quality: 7/10
Video Quality: 8/10
Boringness: 1
Content: 8/10
Flexibility: 7/10

Overall score: 8/10

Code

Sound: overall sound quality of the video, how load it is, clarity etc
Video: overall video quality of the video, how crisp, fuzzyness, artifacts, size
Boringness: we've all been there, got a 8 hour tutorial but the intructors voice is a dreary droning and it puts you to sleep. (1=none 10= snore)
Flexibility: how flexible the tutor is in show alternate ways of doing things, and wether you will easily adapt his methods to your own situation.

Razr
02-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Great service Layer01, thanks for the review! One thing I was curious is how exactly Messiah's soft-bodies work... I'm primarily a Maya user so when I see 'soft-bodies' used to make cloth that raises an eyebrow. Are Messiah's soft-bodies more flexible or more suited for cloth properties? Wegg's example video shows the mesh dynamically deforming with folds.. Could this technique be adapted for other uses such as flags, hanging laundry (with turbulence fields)...?

Thanks again for the review, I'll be picking up the tutorial!

Wegg
02-01-2006, 04:10 PM
From what I have read. . . Maya's cloth is a lot like Lightwaves where you have to stitch everything together. I think the solution I demonstrate in Messiah is a LOT easier. Using it with Point Oven really makes it a powerful solution for any app that allows you to import .mdds.

As far as applying turbulence. . . I. . . . think so. They did it on "Fallen Art" to great success. Its not like all this is highly documented though. There are a lot of hidden Gems with Messiah that beg to be discovered. I think the video I made only scratches the surface of what can be done.

CGTalk Moderation
02-01-2006, 04:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.