PDA

View Full Version : Website Check .. !

lixid
12-09-2002, 02:34 AM
I need Crits on my website ... let me know what you would do with it .. Thanks I appreciate it .. :]

CAT designs
12-09-2002, 03:08 AM
Just dropped by and took a look...

Great Job on the site...:applause:

alo

lixid
12-09-2002, 04:16 AM
Hey Thanx for the feedback .. :]

slayerment
12-09-2002, 05:40 AM
looks pretty plain. maybe you could add some graphics. and maybe make the text selectable?

lixid
12-09-2002, 06:52 AM
thanx ill give it a try .. tried to keep it optimized enough for 56ker's .. but i could add a few graphics in there .. :]
thanx again ..

DuRanG
12-09-2002, 11:40 AM
actually, i did not like your website so much.. meaningless intro(did you use swish?), no good effect, 0 design.. not to mention the font you used. :thumbsdow

I think that you can improve your site a lot if you just take a look at other flash sites,in order to get the spirit.. look for a design pattern, common effects, interactivity.. If you do cg you should put some graphic there as well. 'bout the intro.. the purpose of it is to introduce the site to the viewer.
dont take me wrong, its just a crit, should help you improve your skills :rolleyes:

Web Guy
12-09-2002, 03:19 PM
I did not like it either. Pretty plane and no concept and as stated before the intro is pointless. Also the text is very hard to read!

lixid
12-09-2002, 05:24 PM
yeah i agree its plain .. just mostly going for a professional look .. ya know .. ? but thanx for the crits .. even though i wont change it .. heheh .. just wanted to know what da flash masta's thought about it .. lol .. :]

excaliborg
12-09-2002, 05:35 PM
in my opinion you shouldn't of used flash at all (well if you really want the intro; just that)

Just use plain html, or a mixture of php/mysql if you want a dynamic site.

Phrank
12-09-2002, 07:11 PM
well, the intro is ok, but has no message.. its just an intro, but I think it doesnt make much sense.
I also agree on that point: you dont need flash for that page, it only makes the site slower to view.

take it as a suggestion and dont be offended by those comments, i think youve got a good point to start from, so if you want it to be a flash-page add more stuff - moving things, better types, background-images of your work (and so on). ;)

[msf]
12-10-2002, 03:25 AM
hehe burn that intro and its good. Filesize is excellent and I had no problem finding my way around. Now just make it a little prettier :).

lixid
12-10-2002, 04:59 AM
thanx again ... i will keep that in mind .. i will put up some nice images in the background and for awhile i have been thinking of doing some kind of background animation .. really small and not to eye distracting.. thanx for the input ... :] i know the intro is kinda plain .. lol .. didnt know what else to do .. mostly just put time into my section of the site .. since i admin the site ... i want to get my worth out of me hosting it i guess .. but i would like to ask what type of little animation could i put .. i mean there are so many background ani's out there that are so worn out that i dont know what to do .. i dont want to copy someone else's funkiness :] like 000011000100101001 scrolling across the background really lightly .. but its so played out. I guess ill think of something .. :] thanx again for all the crits .. keep em coming ..

jizzypop
12-10-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by excaliborg
in my opinion you shouldn't of used flash at all (well if you really want the intro; just that)

agreed

lixid
12-11-2002, 12:13 AM
well if you dont like flash so much .. why are you browsing the flash forum then .. >?

fig
12-11-2002, 02:12 AM
i agree with that you shouldn't have used flash, and its not a case of not liking flash but simply using it appropriately. aside from the intro, what on your site needed to be flash? nothing did, it could all be done in html. if you want to use flash then take advantage of the medium, use transitions between your different sections, add some motion to the site, create some interactivity with your user. don't just use flash for the sake of using flash.

chris

slayerment
12-11-2002, 05:48 AM
or perhaps a hybrid would b nice to see.

lixid
12-11-2002, 07:16 AM
i really dont agree with that .. i feel that flash is a more graphics based design program instead of a crappy coding that positions things all Screwy all over the screen without proper coding .. so i feel that you can do alot of things that you cant do in html with alot less trouble .. that is why i use flash.. plus when you add to many effects to the site it takes away from the CONTENT... im sick of looking at a site and just seeing the site ... not the content .. so if your looking at the motion of the ocean .. youll miss the sunset .. :] kinda a bad reference but i hope you get what i mean.. this is mostly a portfolio site for 3D things .. not flash .. just wanted to see if you liked the layout and everything .. i have another version of my site from a long time ago that i will be posting within the next two days and i would really like to get all of your opinions on that one instead .. it has some really nice features to it .. but it really took away from everything and took a long time to load also... even with optimized pics .. so .. keep checking back at this post and ill post the other site .. thanx all for the crits even though i dont agree .. :]

fig
12-11-2002, 03:05 PM
ya know, i want to do this little extruded logo for my client, just kinda a slightly embossed look. i probably could do that in photoshop, or if i really wanted to get a 3d plug-in for illustrator or even do it in a low-end 3d program. but no, i feel like i need to do it in maya. but that doesn't really make sense you say, its not really the tool you'd use for the job (unless perhaps you're a maya stud who uses it everyday and can knock out a logo real quick). and if that makes any sense at all to you you might be starting to see my point.

you may or may not agree with the opinions, and that's fine, but the simple fact is that you're not at all taking advantage of what the software can do. flash is and never has been billed as a "graphics based design program", that's what dreamweaver and the like are for. i could build your site in html at about half the total filesize and everything would stay exactly where its supposed to. if you have a problem getting an html page to to not be "screwy" its simply not knowing your tools, learn how tables work and its actually pretty simple.

flash is like any other tool, there's great work done with it and there's sucky work done with it. if you're worried about building your site with flash but it being "distracting" then look at good flash sites with great content that aren't distracting, there's lots of sites out there that use flash very effectively to enhance the user's experience and make it more interactive, which is what it was designed for in the first place. doing that isn't easy, its knowing how to design, understanding motion, and knowing your tools, and it may take some time. check out stuff like

http://www.bludot.com/
http://www.riotmanhattan.com/
http://www.ninedots.com/ (bit tough to navigate but very well-executed)
http://www.blur.com/
http://www.juxtinteractive.com/

sorry, don't mean to rant or pick on you. i just hate seeing flash used poorly and then it coming back around to clients that never want to use flash because all they ever see is poor uses of it.

chris

jizzypop
12-11-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by lixid
well if you dont like flash so much .. why are you browsing the flash forum then .. >?

umm... cuz i like flash websites that actually use flash features, and i like flash animations.

but dont get me wrong, i did think your layout was very clean and professional, i like it, but i do agree with fig, it coulda be html.

KingMob
12-11-2002, 06:52 PM
Ok I dont like it either..but I am gonna tell you why, and help you make it better.

First off is layout of text.

It jumps to much, look at nest, then look at artists, then look at about ETC. The actual body copy is jumpin around like me after a big gulp. Find a stationary point for all text to start and keep it there (with this sort of clean and structured design, repetive elements are key)

Also dont align some text right, and some text left. It's distracting.
Next off is color choice, nothing wrong with the blue you got, but the text is to dark. try a darker blue bg with white text, or a lighter blue with the black text.

next, fonts! gottta love em.

looks like your using Times or something, don't. If you like the serif look, use it for the headers, and use like helvetica (yeah I know overused but whatever) for the body. and as I said, stop having th ebody copy jump around so much.

FIanlly is overall layout.

It's not bad at all. But i find it odd that you have it broken up like this, and that big empty space under "xia studios" is blank. ESP with news achives and such could go there, or a picture, soemthing. IOts a lot of wasted space.

THe overall site could use some images i think.

and finally for some nit picky stuff.

The white area below the nav and before the first blue box, match that the same width as the white area breaking the first blue box(left) with the second(right) or vice versa, you have like 4-5 different white area widths, which is distracting.

Drop shadow on you logo is poop. get rid of that...drop shadows are hard to pull off right, it look "blurry" as it is.

the copyright in the bottom right needs some padding, its to scunched.

Hope I dont sound to mean, these changes would really pull it together a lot more.

Oh and the intro is another matter. i personally hate all intros (and I am a flash designer, go figure) If you are going to do one, I would get rid of the spining text. I turned it off as soon as I saw that.

Good luck and if you want any more help or critique I would be happy to help

pigwater
12-12-2002, 02:22 AM
....i like what you are going for, a nice clean simple overall feel...a real tight professional feel but it ain't working....nothin wowed me and i have seen it all before....and...i am unclear as to the purpose of this site

is this a site for artists to stick work up in or is it a site to land jobs to make money? who is supposed to be looking at this?...if it for clients then don't be advertising for artists to put their work up and don't have a forum directed at artists... if your a professional art-house then artists are bangin on your door you shouldn't have an open proposel for artist ( you could put: "for consideration:send portfolio to....)
if it's for artists to be looking at then don't advertise work to be sold...we're not gonna be contracting other artists of a random site

if i'm a serious potential client i would ditch this site as soon as i could back-click

it needs images too...if your selling art then where is the art, a sample or a resume...

sorry...it does have some good stuff going for it.. i just think it is ambiguous and not gonna land you any jobs or money for all the work your putting into it

lixid
12-12-2002, 05:04 AM
ok im kinda tired of the hashing .. if you cant see that it is a portfolio site then i dont know what else to tell you .. it is a site for artists to post there work .. some ppl are not lucky enough to have money for a domain and hosting .. i got mine for a year and thought i would help out other artists display there stuff .. then they can make money off there own section if they would like .. but if you cant understand that .. then i guess i have to tell everyone to look through the site a bit more .. try looking at one of the artists sections .. have you tried that?? <click on a name> eh.... .. there are pics in there .. not in the background where it takes forever to load them just to have a nice fancy site .. this is just a portfolio site for artists if they would like to post there stuff there. i dont see what is so hard to get about this .. ??? but maybe im going about it all wrong .. maybe i shouldnt offer ppl that need a portfolio space on MY Domain NAME and MY Webhosting .. i guess that is a crime now .. i basically offered anyone space on my hosting .. and no one seems to understand that .. i see so many artists out there that have sites on frikin geocities and crap like that .. that i felt i could offer something kool for them to display there stuff and maybe make some money locally or on the side from other ppl .. but nope i guess that is not working .. just wanted opinions and i got a few good ones .. i am not a FLASH MASTA like most of you seem to be i guess.. i have been doing flash on the side for 4 years now .. i do not do this full time like most of you do i guess .. and i have studied a few tutorials .. blahh blahhh blahhh .. but mostly i do 3D work .. i spend most of my time in a program some of you couldnt even understand ... i do not like scripting and coding a website .. i dont feel like that should be the way to create something visually appealing .. i do agree the text needs to be fixed ... it is a bit fuzzy .. and the intro definitely needs to go .. in the process now of taking it out ... i just didnt spend that much time on the intro and its actually kinda embaressing .. but mostly a quick fix until i can brainstorm some kinda kooool intro .. blah blahh .. but mostly i was just going for a nice optimized site so ppl didnt have to wait a half hour for little pictures to load all the way down the page .. they could view them in a page like setting .. instead of some crappy html flipbooks or thumbnail pages ive seen and even on some pro 3D guys website also .. they have great artwork .. but never took the time to actually learn html or flash .. but i have tried to balance my skills equally .. so that i can do all of this stuff and not have to pay someone to do it for me .. i dont feel i need to be questioned or taunted by my talents .. i just wanted to know what you felt i needed to change .. but most of you took it upon yourself to totally hash whatever slight talent i do have .. but thanx for all the positive crits and im out....

nekohime
12-12-2002, 05:30 AM
I think everyone is right.. It's very plain for using flash. I'm learning flash right now and that's the kind of site we made in the beginners class :] But keep your mind open and expand your ideas.. Then it would roxxor! :)

KingMob
12-12-2002, 05:32 AM
hope that wasn't directed at me, I was just trying to help. It's a critique dude, calm down. You called this a "website check"

you had a poll for like it or not, you better expect people to post and comment on it. If you didnt want that, simply put DO NOT C&C or something.

Anyways, The stuff I posted was just to help you bring the site together, not hash on your skill.

I'll just leave it at that, I do think you should do the changes I brought up, just cause it would help tighten the overall site...if not whatever no hair off my back. sorry I tried to help.

BTW I did not see the artist section either, so maybe making it slightly more obvious would help, no big deal man, you get all kinds of comments on these forums. I'm gonna go c heck your work now that I know it's up there.

And i do agreer that it's better than alot of portfolio sites for 3d guys i have seen. and now this post is really long ACK:beer:

oh and cool joker, I love batman.

Rye
12-12-2002, 05:56 AM
I need Crits on my website ... let me know what you would do with it .. Thanks I appreciate it .. :]

First you ask for crits, then say you wont change anything. Then you get mad when people give you constructive criticism? It may not have been what you wanted to hear, but I think most everyone has made very good points. I think we all understand that this is a site for 3d portfolios. Thats a great idea, and im sure a lot of people appreciate it. We understand that you dont want the site to compete with the portfolios. That makes sense. If i was putting my portfolio on someones site, i would want it to be a very simple site. What IS being said is that there is no need to do this in flash. And that is true. If you want to do it in flash, thats fine. I won't try to stop you from that.

However there are things about the design of the site that just look very amature. Kingmob pointed out a lot of these things like the drop shadow under the logo. The drop shadow is usally used when you have text on top of an image with lots of different color ranges, its used to pop the text out. Of course it can be used in other ways, but for your logo. It really makes it hard to read. And that is a fact.

Its a site for artists portfolios, so that needs to REALLY stand out. I clicked on the artist link, then clicked right on to the next one cause I didnt see anything else to click on in the artist section. I eventually noticed it when i was just clicking around, but its not something that jumped out at me.

I agree that the text is too dark on that blue background. Ive always been against blue and black colors together (but that is a personal thing). The text would look better if it was white, or make the background much lighter and then use dark blue text.

The intro isnt working, but you said you would take that away. I once heard or read, "If you need to put a skip intro button, then you dont need an intro."

The text alignment thing was very disorienting. Text should always line up the same, especially if the site is so clean like yours. If you had a crazy messy site, then it would look normal, but this has so much order to it, the text should all be the same size, and aligned the same.

Most people get upset when i stand up for 800 by 600 users....BUT, the first screen is way too tall. Put your resolution at 800 by 600 and go to your site. All you will see is a blue box. No indication that you need to scroll down, except there will be a scroll bar. But theres nothing there to entice people to scroll down. You should put the enter buttons at the top, or make the first page the same size as your site. Same goes for the intro (if you keep it) The intro should be the same size as your site too.

thats all. keep working on it, it takes a long time to perfect a website, dont give up though. These are not my biased opinions. I dont know flash very well, but i am a web designer and i do know a few things about it. Theres no need to get mad, you posted a site here, you have to expect people to voice their opinions, thats what this forum is for. Good luck with the site.

lixid
12-12-2002, 06:35 AM
naw im not pissed or anything i just dont like being hashed and also not getting hardly any of what i feel would be positive feedback .. i liked your post about everything .. like i said there are things i need to fix .. like the text and everything .. but as for I'm learning flash right now and that's the kind of site we made in the beginners class :]
that is bulls*^# .. you could not design a site like that .. in beginers class im sorry .. i remember what it was like learning flash 4 .. lol .. pain in the ass and you shoulda seen the crap i made .. and then also .. this ..
pigwater ....i like what you are going for, a nice clean simple overall feel...a real tight professional feel but it ain't working....nothin wowed me and <<i have seen it all before>>....and...i am unclear as to the purpose of this site is this a site for artists to stick work up in or is it a site to land jobs to make money? <<who is supposed to be looking at this?>>...if it for clients then don't be advertising for artists to put their work up and don't have a forum directed at artists... if your a professional art-house then artists are bangin on your door you shouldn't have an open proposel for artist ( you could put: "for consideration:send portfolio to....)
if it's for artists to be looking at then don't advertise work to be sold...we're not gonna be contracting other artists of a random site

<<if i'm a serious potential client i would ditch this site as soon as i could back-click >>*didn't ask you to be a client, i asked you to give me critique on my site*

<<it needs images too...if your selling art then where is the art, a sample or a resume...>> *try looking around a bit.. uh*
most of that post was really sarcastic and rude i feel .. and i dont need to be questioned about the purpose of the site .. if he cant figure it out .. then i think he needs to learn how to read .. ?and understand for that matter .. i was not presenting some WOW SITE! did i post check out this kool new site .. ? no i just said website check .. to see if anyone actually liked it .. but i guess not .. i know i need to work on a few things with it .. and i cant take positive critisizm just fine .. but when i comes to being questioned about the relevancy of the site .. it just kinda pisses me off .. basically i just asked if ppl like it .. and to give some positive feedback and i got some good stuff .. like this ..
[msf] hehe burn that intro and its good. Filesize is excellent and I had no problem finding my way around. Now just make it a little prettier .
and Phrank well, the intro is ok, but has no message.. its just an intro, but I think it doesnt make much sense. I also agree on that point: you dont need flash for that page, it only makes the site slower to view.

take it as a suggestion and dont be offended by those comments, i think youve got a good point to start from, so if you want it to be a flash-page add more stuff - moving things, better types, background-images of your work (and so on). but this crap by fig .. judging my choice of words is totally uncalled for .. flash is and never has been billed as a "graphics based design program" all i meant by that .. is that you dont have to use FORMS and crappy frikin tables .. to keep the content aligned and it doesnt get all screwed up if you accidently press tab or space to many times .. i hate that crap .. and i dont feel i need to be judged by my statements .. all i was saying is that is it more of a graphics based website design program and not a bunch of coding .. you can visually see the website coming together instead of looking at a bunch of text of a series of image maps and tables all of the the page .. maybe fig did not like me saying something about html .. and took it personally .. but i hardly doubt it .. one other thing why i designed the site the way i did .. is because of this very reason .. I think that you can improve your site a lot if you just take a look at other flash sites sorry i do not want to follow the crowd and make a nice intro .. that is not what the site was for .. it is a portfolio website .. or a studio .. basically thats all it is .. .. it is a studio with artists in it .. that have portfolios .. but i guess no one got the concept .. sorry i dont mean to sound rude about this .. but it just seems to me that ppl are always looking at how the intro looks to the site instead of actually looking at the pictures and the content of the site .. i do agree the intro was pretty pointless though .. i have no problems with that .. or the things that you said KingMob i just got tired of checking my mail everyday and finding out another bad thing about the site .. and no good comments .. just crap .. like bad layout and bad this and bad that .. you cant not like the entire site .. just because of a bad intro .. lol .. sorry i just dont see it .. the least most of you couldve said was .. well the layout needs some work .. and i just dont really like it that well .. but nice try and keep at it .. and i wouldve been happy .. but it was just the intent behind most of the comments .. is all im sick of .. but i really do appreciate all the GOOD critique .. and if you feel like checking out the website later .. i will be updating it .. but you probably wont because you didnt like it the first time why would you like the same guys stuff a second time .. lata all .. thanx again .. :thumbsup:

lixid
12-12-2002, 06:42 AM
thanx rye i really appreciate that post .. at least it was honest critisizm and not sarcastic humor to make me look like a fool .. i appreciate it .. thanx again ..

pigwater
12-12-2002, 09:27 AM
my apologies...i certainely didn't mean to be rude or sarcastic

fig
12-12-2002, 02:49 PM
i really wasn't intending to offend and i'm sorry if i did. my only reason for using your choice of words was to illustrate that i think you're a bit unclear on flash's purpose. as far as me mentioning to look at other flash sites, you'll notice i never even commented on the intro and none of the sites i put up as examples even have intros. they're sites that integrate flash well into the site and use it to showcase their content which is what i would think someone building a flash site would want to do. i don't think i've ever even built a site with an intro and wouldn't recommend doing it unless you're doing a teaser for a movie or something. 99% of the time its totally unneeded.

you may feel like people are being harsh or you're being judged or whatever, and that's fine, but look at it this way: if i posted some 3d work and peopple said well, your lighting sucks, this model really isn't very good, you need to just ditch this project and pretty much start over, i'd have to look at what they said and evaluate it and say ya know, they know this much better than i do and they're probably right. the same is true in this case. i may not know a thing about software you use everyday, but i DO know a whole lot about flash and work as a new media designer for a firm that's been featured in national design magazines. whether you like what i may be saying or not i'm speaking on a subject that i know, as are a lot of the other guys in here. you mentioned that you don't know much flash and don't use it a lot and that's fine, glad to see you're using it some and learning. because you don't know it and others here do we're trying to point you in a better direction, whether or not you want to accept that is up to you. good luck either way, and again sorry if my comments were taken wrongly.

chris

jizzypop
12-12-2002, 03:12 PM
originally posted by: lixid
all i meant by that .. is that you dont have to use FORMS and crappy frikin tables .. to keep the content aligned and it doesnt get all screwed up if you accidently press tab or space to many times .. i hate that crap .. and i dont feel i need to be judged by my statements .. all i was saying is that is it more of a graphics based website design program and not a bunch of coding .. you can visually see the website coming together instead of looking at a bunch of text of a series of image maps and tables all of the the page .. maybe fig did not like me saying something about html .. and took it personally .. but i hardly doubt it .. one other thing why i designed the site the way i did .. is because of this very reason ..

dreamweaver (http://www.macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver/) is your friend :D :thumbsup: :applause:

Good Guy
12-12-2002, 04:54 PM
plus it all bein in flash will make it a bitch to update! unless you use some fancy php that is, but thats a waste of time ;)

nekohime
12-12-2002, 05:02 PM
that is bulls*^# .. you could not design a site like that .. in beginers class im sorry .. i remember what it was like learning flash 4 .. lol .. pain in the ass and you shoulda seen the crap i made .. and then also .. this ..

It's not bullshit if your beginners Flash class is 5 hours per night and you're already learning action scripting in Intermediate.

Anyways, apologies if that offended you. I just was surprised that with a side of 4 years Flash experience you did that.

nekohime
12-12-2002, 05:04 PM
oops double post

fig
12-12-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Good Guy
plus it all bein in flash will make it a bitch to update! unless you use some fancy php that is, but thats a waste of time ;)

true, but you actually do some cool stuff with variables and loading html as text files. i'm doing a band site now that has the news and shows sections like that so one of the guys from the band can just change an html doc and upload it to update the site.

chris

Rye
12-12-2002, 05:25 PM

im in the same class as Nekohime. And she is right, weve already designed a site that pretty much does all that. It doesnt have as much conent, but its the same principles.

KingMob
12-12-2002, 05:46 PM
same here, I took design for a major and dint even officially touch flash or html till I knew basic theroies and such. THo i Did dabble on the side. I took to it pretty quick, esp action scripting which was the only programing language to this day that I have fun working in....I guesss it's seeing results in a more visual medium is mroe exciting than printing out words in verdana froma javascript thing.

Also as for the updating being a bitch. It does nto have to be. Depends hwo you set up the files and what not, but with proper setup updating could be even easier, and more acurate to your vision.

For one you could just do all new updates in a txt file, and have a smart scroll that read the length of trhat txt, make it dynamic text so you can do simple html tags and BOOM you got a nice looking news scroller that only requires a txt file to update (or if your really cool, use a database) Pictures suck unless you go with mx and can dynamically link jpg...can't believe it took 6 releases to do this feature.

Oh and rye, thanks for defending me back there, I appreciated it.

lixid
12-12-2002, 06:24 PM
i apologize .. i may have taken things a little to harsh... but was mostly just looking for the answers that i got .. which was to basically change the text color & font.. and then take out the intro and make it a little more appealing .. i agree with that .. just thought some of the comments shouldve been said a little lighter instead of in kinda a sarcastic way .. which makes it seem like you are better than me .. or something .. sorry if i took it that way .. did some work on it last night and its actually looking pretty smooth now .. i think .. heheh .. but yeah i have been doing flash for about 4 years now .. but you have to understand what ive been working with for 3 years was flash 4 .. i really hated flash 5 .. it had a horrible interface i thought and just made everything really confusing to update and making keyframes were a pain also .. but of course i only spent a few hours with it at first .. so i guess i gave it no chance .. heheh .. flash mx is really nice though .. just turned onto that within the last year .. never took any courses or anything on flash just learned what i could from the web .. but anyways the update should be up within the next day or so .. so check it out if you get a chance .. lata all

KingMob
12-12-2002, 06:58 PM
see thats funny. I started with 3ish was like..omk this is fine i guess..then got 4 and loved it...but HATED how it dealt with code...then came 5...I lvoed 5. It was exactly what I wanted (i can see how it would be a shock tho) It bugged me at first to, but I sat with it over a weekend, and fell in love. MX is just like 5 but tighter and better defined I think.

ANd hey seriously, you gotta expect some sarcasm on these forums, just dont take it to hard, listen to what you agree with ignore the rest. Hell your lucky. I have seen some absolutly amazing work get trolls who just say "you sucks blah blah" for the most part it seemed people gave suggestions on how to fix the site up. Tell us when the new version is up, I for one would love to see the revisions.

I still hate into's in all shapes and colors tho, just my opinion. (good job giving a choic tho, that a good way to do it)

pigwater
12-13-2002, 03:27 AM
i looked over my first post and it was pretty rough... had been up all night before that day workin, and i was a little short in diplomacy...again i apologize if i offended

i liked alot of what you had goin... the overall concept and look was clean and simple......loaded quick..no extraneous frills..it's all pretty to close to being a nice site

i do/did understand what the site is for...to me though it's XIA STUDIOS , and that is a pretty powerful name... so i click on XIA STUDIOS and expect somethin but couldn't find anything ( right away ) for art directors or whoever time is short....if it's not right in front of em or easy to find they'll look someplace else.... it took 4 clicks before i saw any art (too long in my opinion) ...but i did find an open call to artists and a forum for artists

that i guess was my point

your deformed mesh thingies are fabulous eye catchers.. how about using one of those on the splash page instead of that blue square?

Web Guy
12-13-2002, 04:51 PM
Again I think the site sucks and is a waste of time to build in flash. I could have knocked that out in about 15 minutes in HTML or ASP.

KingMob
12-13-2002, 05:05 PM
Web Guy Not to be a dick or nothing, but that comment doesn't help anyone. Critique can be civilized and actually help ya know?

Again I'm not trying to start a war, I just think the only reason you would post something like that is get him angry again.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions tho.

Web Guy
12-13-2002, 05:12 PM
Know it's just after reading thru all of that and all of his post about everyones comments I just felt almost like just telling him to shut up but did not want to say that..;) Sorry if I was a little rude ok...It's early and I am a little moody.

lixid
12-13-2002, 10:28 PM
yeah .. i understand your opinion Web Guy Again I think the site sucks and is a waste of time to build in flash. I could have knocked that out in about 15 minutes in HTML or ASP.

but once again .. i did it in flash .. not html .. and im sorry but the graphics and positioning you cannot do in html .. i would like to see you try to do this website in html .. im sorry but i have never seen a website like this in html or asp.. and actually have it load properly without some picture not loading because of some weird coding gliche .. sorry i just dont see how this site couldve been done in html .. the way it is .. sorry .. anyways almost done with the update .. should be up tomorrow night .. lata all .. btw thanx for the rude comment web guy .. i appreciate it .. you are way better at everything then i am .. you are a web god .. :annoyed:

Web Guy
12-13-2002, 10:50 PM
lol....Me and my Boss where I work were setting here reading your comments and both were laughing at you. If we had nothing better to do tonight we would set down and show you how easy it would be to build that site with just tables. I would not even have to use layers to do that. Anyways, good luck on your waste of time project and hope to see something orginal soon.

By the way I am so curious about which images you speak of could not be laid out in Tables? I see nothing that could not be done in about 10 minutes in Dreamweaver or Homesite or any other program.

jizzypop
12-14-2002, 01:08 AM
okay, i actually went through the trouble of remaking your site in html, just to prove a point, its not exact because i got a lil lazy, but i think i still get my point across.

check it out (http://www.jizzypop.com/xiastudios)

lixid
12-14-2002, 01:47 AM
hahahha .. thats pretty kool .. nice work .. as for dips&$% f#$@! web pod .. oh i mean web snob .. damnit i mean .. smart ass .. i think you have a jesus complex .. you seem to think your such the sh@$ with nothing to show for it .. so next time you make fun of someone with less knowledge in web design then you .. try showing some of your own work .. to prove your point like jizzypop here .. i dont appreciate your smart ass remarks and i hope you grow up sometime within the next 10 years .. lata ..

lixid
12-15-2002, 06:31 AM
update is up and finished .. ready to see responses as long as it is not like "it sux and you shouldve done it in html" no i did it in flash .. sorry all you html fans .. but i am welcoming any hashing also if you like .. i would love to have a nice arguement been kinda queit around here this weekend .. kinda in the mood i guess .. at least now i am .. :] anyways let me know if you like it ... or not .. probably not .. since most of the ppl on here didnt like it before .. so anyways post your hashing HERE .. :] ready go!!!

lixid
12-15-2002, 06:35 AM
also keep in mind it is not a full revamp or a total redux .. :] of course lol .. thinking of my next site approach.. might just go for a total change i guess .. anyways lata .. also hey web pod .. i left a little present for you in my site also .. :P enjoy .. lata ..

Michael Chen
12-21-2002, 11:15 PM
Very nice!

Except you could try to avoid some color banding :)

Your site is actually very similar to my. Currently there's not much content on my site.

By within 2 weeks time, the next version will be uploaded :)

KingMob
12-21-2002, 11:18 PM
way better man.

Only thing is I would make the nav transition (the scroll in) about twice as fast, maybe add a little pop to it it, or exagerate it a pinch, like have it go a fw thing over farther than its final end point a few frames begfore hand.

Definetly faster tho, and definitly a big improvement.

congrats. Ill let you know if i notice anything else.

lixid
12-22-2002, 04:48 AM
hey thanx for the reply .. i really appreciate that .. there is alot im still working on like some of the lines that i have put in there are crooked .. and also the loading for the news is the old loading sequence .. but i am going to make the buttons a little better .. adding more of any effect and all that .. then also add sound to them and the page .. i wanted to do more of the office scene like you click on the coffee cup and it takes you to a part of the office .. but i work alot right now .. and have no time so i will probably add that in later .. :] thanx again for the feedback .. and Rukuwa your site is way better than mine lol .. your site rox .. :] keep up the good work .. i really like the thumbnails in the art section .. wish i wouldve thought of it first .. heheh .. :] anyways thanx again ...

fish_vinny
12-22-2002, 04:57 AM
i don't like it at all
it is too plain and too simple
you must make it graphics

lixid
12-22-2002, 05:00 AM
yeah i agree .. :] need to spruce it up a bit more .. might just change the background of the moniter .. and i definitely need to change the gallery thumbnails .. there kinda getting old and plain .. thanx for the input .. :]

lixid
12-22-2002, 09:34 AM
updated again tonight .. check it out .. let me know if you like the changed stuff .. going to be adding more within the next week so keep checking back .. thanx ..

mohh
12-22-2002, 12:55 PM
I like what you've done, good job!

jizzypop
12-22-2002, 08:00 PM
wow, you really did alot to it :thumbsup: nice work

i cant make that one in html ;)

lixid
12-23-2002, 08:12 AM
heheh thanx .. i appreciate you checkin it out .. yeah just keep checkin back .. cause i updated once again .. and added some other features to it .. also go and vote on my other post .. kinda made a full out apology about this post .. and how i fre@ked out also .. anyways everyone hop on over to that post .. and give me the beating i deserve lol .. :] lata .. have a good holiday everyone if i dont post anything until after that .. thanx again .. :]

fish_vinny
12-23-2002, 08:40 AM
it is better
why don't you add some music?

lixid
12-23-2002, 06:24 PM
yeah im going to .. just havent gotten to it yet .. :] gotta find the right sounds to fit the mood of the site .. :]

fish_vinny
12-24-2002, 12:06 PM
today is christma's eve~
merry christmas
this is the work of my friend
http://www.yuweb.com/flash.asp

fish_vinny
12-24-2002, 12:17 PM
in this flash
the volume and track of music changed with the coordinate of mouse

lixid
12-25-2002, 03:18 AM
hey thats pretty nice stuff .. i like the partical effect from the buttons .. nice work ..

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.