PDA

View Full Version : parallel blendshapes for facial animation gone wrong

pixade
01-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Trying to add some facial blendshapes (ex: cheeks, nostril movement) to my existing set of blendshapes (brows, eyes, mouth) but when i do this, it doesn't work with a parallel deformation order. It almost destroys the entire model, pulling vertices here and there.

It works however with anything but a parallel deformation but I need this blendshape to be entirely independent from the other blend shapes.

Anyone come along with the same problem and know how to solve this?

Thanks!

Morganism
01-31-2006, 09:20 PM
Rather than creating a new blendshape node, you could Edit Blend Shape>Add them to the existing blendshape node.

Or, if you don't need to keep the target meshes around, delete them and I think that might fix the problem, too.

M.E.L.
01-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Parallel blends require that you delete and recreate the blendshape node if you want to add stuff. Because the deformations are 'parallel' they require a constant value within the array index.. if that changes, it doesn't know what it's reading or where (always a dumb thing with maya when you alter an array indice it gets totally confused).

like Morgan said, delete it and rebuild... good ol parallelBlenders.

-s

pixade
01-31-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey guys!

Totally appreciate the quick responses! I tried to add the shapes to existing shape nodes but to no avail. I got the same results.

I tried deleting the target blend shapes but that didn't do anything either.

I was thinking of deleting and rebuilding it but the model is being referenced in my animation files so that would mean a ton of work redoing the animation for all my shots. Anything else I should try? Isn't there something in the hypergraph where I could move some node orders around? I don't know. I haven't done this stuff in a while and forgot it all.

M.E.L.
02-01-2006, 01:35 AM
hmmm...

you could check your Input stack (right click the geo and go to Inputs) and re-order that... but if the geo is being referenced it's most likely going to block you out unless you're working in the master scene.

that's about the nearest I can figure tbh.

-s

pixade
02-01-2006, 03:35 AM
M.E.L., you're right. I can't reorder the stack. It's quite interesting how difficult this is.

M.E.L.
02-01-2006, 03:38 AM
ok.. well your best bet at this point is to have a pow-wow with modeling and inquire as to re-ordering of the stack and adding in your new shapes. Just make sure you jot down what order they are in your blendshape editor and then add the new shapes after that (just a safety measure so nothing gets fubar'd).

-s

CGTalk Moderation
02-01-2006, 03:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.