PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite renderer soon to be realtime!

pluMmet
01-31-2006, 12:01 PM
What else would you expect from a 250Ghz CPU.

Due to inovations in semi-conductors your favorite renderer will soon be realtime :)

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2006Jan/bch20060130034493.htm

Freescale Semiconductor is the first in the industry to work through the technological hurdles relating to gallium arsenide (GaAs) MOSFET technology. This "Holy Grail" of the semi-world, a GaAs MOSFET device that follows traditional scaling models, interconnect methods, and equipment in a similar manner, has eluded the research efforts of companies like Cray, Convex, and Alliant for more than 20 years. It is nothing short of a revolutionary breakthrough for the semiconductor world.

FalseCathedral
01-31-2006, 05:38 PM
i think we'll be seeing real time final frame hardware rendering via graphics cards before we see software renderers in real time. realtime (videogame) graphics are catching up quickly. granted, the pure poly counts from the scenes of Pixar's films can't be done in realtime yet, but shading sure seems to be catching up. and with the addition of normal mapping, high polycounts can prove somewhat unnessisary in many instances. today's high end video games look like yesteryears prerendered cutscenes - even better in many cases. Luxo Jr can be run in real time with no problems on today's graphics cards....and i'd assume it would run pretty quickly on software raytraced rendering.

anyway, i'm rambling...:beer:

Peddy
02-01-2006, 02:18 AM
"Originally Posted by GeekArticle
Freescale Semiconductor is the first in the industry to work through the technological hurdles relating to gallium arsenide (GaAs) MOSFET technology. This "Holy Grail" of the semi-world, a GaAs MOSFET device that follows traditional scaling models, interconnect methods, and equipment in a similar manner, has eluded the research efforts of companies like Cray, Convex, and Alliant for more than 20 years. It is nothing short of a revolutionary breakthrough for the semiconductor world."

cool.

does babelfish do technobabble?

enygma
02-01-2006, 04:27 AM
Interesting thing though is that Cray, along with companies like GE, SGI, SRC, virious universities and supercomputing centers, have actually focused on other computing technologies that, while running at lower clock speeds (anywhere from 66MHZ to 200MHz), are full of hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions of reconfigurable logic gates to perform specialized tasks at breakneck speeds.

While the GHz thing is nice to see, I personally see computing heading in another direction.

EDIT: So while I think offline rendering may hit real time, it won't be with the technology mentioned in the article.

chrisjbuck
02-01-2006, 08:02 AM
So when your sig says:

The strong support the week.
The week try to destroy the strong.
pluMmet to the center of Creation...

are you saying that the strong should instead support the month, because the work week wears down the strong and makes them... uh... weak?

pluMmet
02-01-2006, 09:14 AM
So when your sig says:

The strong support the week.
The week try to destroy the strong.
pluMmet to the center of Creation...

are you saying that the strong should instead support the month, because the work week wears down the strong and makes them... uh... weak?

That all depends on what your definition of "is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monica_Lewinsky)" is. :wise:

truthful depending on one's definition of "is."

pluMmet
02-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Or to put it another way:
To catch a radical one need only dangle a particple (http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/dictionaries/english/data/d0081865.html)

CGTalk Moderation
02-01-2006, 10:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.