PDA

View Full Version : Icarus

bandini
01-31-2006, 04:47 AM
Hi,

I'm a new member. This is my first post.

I just finished a motion graphics project as part of a design exhibition curated by iamstatic.com, and I thought I'd share it. I'd like to enter it in some small animation festivals, so I'm trying to gauge whether it's worth my time and money to pursue. The piece is called Icarus. It retells the story of Icarus using robots in an environment of Illuminated Manuscripts. You can see the piece here:

Icarus (http://www.adamswaab.com/movies/icarus.mov)

I used Cinema 4D and After Effects. I can't do a whole lot of tweaks at this point. I have to move onto other projects. But if a suggestion sounds like it could be done easily I would entertain it.

Thanks!

Menesis
01-31-2006, 11:22 AM
Great great great! Very well done! I especially like all the layers moving infront of each other. And the mixing of styles is also funny. I sometimes get the feel of an mtv movie and on the other hand there are lots of classical elements:thumbsup:

Ranimate
01-31-2006, 03:12 PM
Awesome art!
I liked the fact that the whole piece was kind of a one camera shot, the models and lighting were really well done.

Good one.

Ranimate

rickycox
01-31-2006, 03:32 PM
No wonder it's your first post, you've obviously been busy doing work rather than wasting time surfing the boards :) It looks great I'd definately pimp it out to some of the film festivals.

uncon
01-31-2006, 04:48 PM
This was pretty cool, I really liked it but the screen was so busy I missed a lot of the text the first time through and I think it is a shame because it really adds to the piece. Maybe you could do a narrated voice over? Like the story is being read to the viewer. Great job.

Silverwing
01-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Wow great look!
A lot of compositing i
supose... great work...
I love it :cool:
Keep it up!

HenningK
02-01-2006, 03:15 AM
Pretty and very fun to watch. The number of layers is astonishing.
I wish you had gotten someone to do the character animation,
then I could give it a perfect score.
love,hen

bandini
02-01-2006, 04:23 AM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the kind words. I was worried that you all would tear me apart.

Uncon, my first ideas was to use voiceover to help the story points become clear. I wasn't able to get the voiceover talent I wanted (There was somebody I had in mind specificly), so I just tried my best to let the words tell the story. Well, now that it is pretty much done, I might be able to get the guy I want to voice it. I'll send it to him and see if he responds.

HenningK, I too wish I had gotten someone else to do the character animation for me. I'm a motion graphics animator, not a character animator, so this was really out of my realm of knowledge. I know I could have done a LOT better on it, I just kind of ran out of time and energy. It was quite a lot of work for one person to do in the time frame I did it in. If I had help, it definitely would have made the piece stronger.

kira-hime
02-01-2006, 08:08 AM
Wow! I've never seen anything like this before, excellent work! I wish I had some sort of idea how you did all that! :D

splintah
02-01-2006, 11:34 AM
this is really cool

but way too fast

maybe lengthen it a little so the viever has more time to read the text

splintah
02-01-2006, 11:40 AM
double post - please delete

Toxic Frog
02-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Now that is cool!
I like the storytelling style you chose. A lot of shorts drag on too long and slowly (boring), but this is very succint and interesting to watch. No boredom here!
Great job!

Masterfill
02-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Great work!. I like your style.. I would like to show it to more people in my blog. Can I? I don't know if it would be bad for you to show it online if you like to enter it to some festivals.
Does anyone knows something about it?

kogden
02-01-2006, 07:26 PM
i really like it you done a great job.

bandini
02-01-2006, 09:53 PM
kira-hime,

The process to make this was rather long and complicated. I won't get into much detail here. It is pretty much what you might imagine, though. A lot of animated textures from After Effects used in a 3D file, recomposited in After Effects, and sometimes back and forth again. A lot of camera data from the 3D file was used in After Effects to help the compositing and make everything seamless.

Splintah,
Yeah, I know everything goes by kind of fast. The piece was supposed to be under a minute, as per the exhibition guidelines, but I went a little over. I definitely tried to fit too much into a minute.

Masterfill,
Send me a link to your blog and I will get back to you with an answer. For right now, I would have to say no. I'm over my bandwidth, and I'm trying to work it out with my web host. I think this thing has been downloaded over 1000 times in the last 2 or 3 days... It may have to wait until next month when my bandwidth limit gets reset. Otherwise, I'm going to be paying a lot of money for going over my limit. I'm not worried about showing it online, as it was done for an exhibition that will be online shortly.

Masterfill
02-02-2006, 01:38 AM
This our blog:
Llámame Lola (http://nomellamesdolores.blogspot.com)
Here (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fnomellamesdolores.blogspot.com%2F&langpair=es%7Cen&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools) translated to english by google.
All right, I wait your response (our blog have about 600 visits/day)
If the web traffic it's the problem, I'd upload to another hosting. Thanks bandini.
;)

Riash
02-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Hi Adam,

Really nice stuff. I especially liked the choice of colors, the compositing and most of all the music. I will agree with some others though - there's a lot of business going on on the screen which makes it very difficult to grasp the text which is also ornamental. I had to see it once for visuals and once just to read the text alone. I was going to suggest to slightly slow down the camera movements but that could open a real big can of worms in terms of editing it over.
The other alternative would be to definitely add a voice over as that would be a good balance of visuals and narration. But get a really good voice that complements the music. If you can't find a good voice, best leave it as is would be my suggestion.

Overall, really good work! I've played it a couple of times to listen to the music and watch the motion. Five shiny stars from me man. Hope to see more from you.

-Riash Shahnawaz.

bandini
02-03-2006, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the comments, Riash!

Masterfill,

I'm okay with you posting a link on your blog, but you will have to wait a little while for my web traffic to slow down. I'll let you know when you can post it. I would like to keep the movie on my server. This is not the FINAL final version of the movie. My composer is working on a new score, and I will be making some small tweaks. I would like to make sure that whatever version is public of this is the one I want people seeing.

Escopos
02-03-2006, 08:29 AM
WOW! So very cool ... I love the whole style you did on this, so much fun. Editing is great! Bit fast to assimilate ... but I like it! :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2006, 08:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.